Speaker for vintage H/K 430

jhamer9

Hi, just heard about this forum from a member over at head-fi.org. Just wanted to post a similar message here and hopefully get some feedback.

This, in a nut shell, is what I posted, but edited a bit...

I recently purchased a '76 harmon/kardon 430 twin powered receiver. I bought this on a whim for $70, in excellent, almost mint condition (just a few minor scratches on the top cover). I bought it for my living room, to listen to music via cans. I had no idea this amp had such a good reputation, I just wanted something vintage and remmember hearing a long time ago that h/k made some quality equipment.

I live in a split level, where my TV/HT setup is in the lower level. Our living room is one of those rooms where there is nothing but furniture to look at, and not sit on, because there is nothing in the room to keep you amused...

I was looking for a pair of quality speakers, bookshelf or floorstanding, that was of a high/good/~$800 quality and would pair well with this classic amp/receiver.

I have heard many good things about Klipsch and pairing them with this receiver. The amp is 25w per channel and I noticed that most speakers from Klipsch have the recommended power rating at 70w+ for most of their speakers. Will I have a problem driving a set of speakers such as the RB-35's? Anyway, I just really want to get a good idea of what you guys and gals suggest (I'm looking for new speakers, I don't really want to buy used).

The speakers will be used to listen to music only, and at moderate volumes, (until my wife walks out the door.) My choice in music is hard rock/metal, but I'm also into jazz/fusion and lots of other genres.

This setup will be in a room that is ~16'w X 12'L with a cathedral ceiling which tops out at about 20'.

jham,

Welcome. Klipsch speakers are very efficient. The RB 35 is an Excellent choice, and pairs well with the HK. Good choice for an excellent beginning of A HT set up......

RB 35's retail for about 600.00. RB 75 Retail for about 1000.00 You should be able to get a discount from your Authorized dealer........

You will be amazed how little power it will take to run the Klipsch, and the HK is a smooth, hard working receiver. However- Before you run the Receiver- Take off the Cover, and blow compressed air inside and make sure its clean. Then replace the fuses in the receiver.........these units have been disscussed and used by lots of form members here. Good Luck and Post pics when you get set up!

Heresys, preferably Is, bought well from eBay or elsewhere plus a used HK 430 are the best bang for the buck in audio IMHO.

My son uses his HK 430 to power '82 Heresys (HK 430 and Heresys all for less than $400 from eBay). With efficient Klipsch speakers the power to size ratio is counter intuitive. We hooked the HK 430 up to Cornwalls and they played louder than the Hereseys at the same position on the volume control. Your fine HK 430 would produce a prodigious amount of low distortion volume from any Klipsch Heritage speaker and most other Klipsch speakers.

----------------

On 4/9/2005 8:10:15 PM jhamer9 wrote:

Anyway, I just really want to get a good idea of what you guys and gals suggest (I'm looking for new speakers, I don't really want to buy used).

My choice in music is hard rock/metal, but I'm also into jazz/fusion and lots of other genres.

This setup will be in a room that is ~16'w X 12'L with a cathedral ceiling which tops out at about 20'.

----------------

wow.. with a room like that you *should* consider used because you should consider Cornwalls. 1,000 could buy you a beautiful set of Cornwalls. You may never want another speaker. Just my thoughs, ya know. :-)

Forrest

Thanks Bill H. Yes, I've only read about the reference series and really don't want to turn this into a home theater setup. I just want a two speaker system for this room of the house. Will the RB-35 or RB-75 need a powered sub, or can they handle the bass on their own? I don't need room thumping bass, but I do like my bass...

Seadog, as for the cornwalls... I guess that would need to be an ebay purchase? or can you get them new?

DizRotus: Thx for the info on the Heresy II's. They are also on the list, but I wasn't sure if the 430 could effectively/efficiently drive them as the their recommended watt rating was 100-400...

At 100-400 watts you'd run the risk of frying the tweeters (been there and done that). With 25 watts from the HK 430 they would be perfect. My Cornwalls sing with ~11 watts of tube power.

I understand that you want new speakers, but I don't understand why. You have an excellent used receiver. If you spend more than the $400 that would score used Heresys (I or II) and get inferior sound, it makes little sense to me. New Heresy IIs will cost considerably more than used Is or IIs and won't sound any better. In any case, don't sweat the power with any efficient Klipsch speaker. Get what pleases you.

Please let us know what you get.

good point, i just thought obtaining them new would be easier... and i wasn't sure about spending upwards of ~$400 to get a couple of speakers that could be shot... the receiver only cost me $70 and if something goes wrong, i'm not out much, and at least i have a 30 day warranty (i bought it at a trading post).

With patience you could find something within a reasonable drive. Then you could test them. A 1.5 volt battery will let you hear that the tweeters and squawkers are working and it will let you see the woofer move.

If a Klipsch Heritage tweeter (Electro Voice) is toast, the diaphragm is easily replaced DIY or can be done for less than $50 by a technician.

Cornwalls would be a used item. Either the Cornwall (discontinued in 1985) or the later Cornwall II (discontinued in 1989) will sound great with your HK 430.

Heresys will sound good, but Cornwalls are the way to go in my opinion. With the HK 430, you will not need a sub with Cornwalls.

jhamer9

The HK has the ability to produce plenty of Bass. I suggest you just get the speaker, that sounds good to you,test it out. I really think you'll be suprised how well that HK will work for you. Good Luck ( I fully understand your feelings on New vs Old).

I guess that's another reason why I was leaning towards new speakers... I'd be able to listen and hear which sounds best. I have only been able to hear the Synergy series F1, F2, F3 and B2, B3 from Best Buy. I really didn't know what to expect from the heritage or reference series. Are they that much better?

jhamer9

The Synergy line from B/B is totally new, and redesigned! They are just as good (to me least ways), as the Reference line. The only downside is that b/B doesn't discount like a Reference dealer has the ability too.

If you enjoyed the sound of Synergy's go for it- You will really be pleased! Plus with B/B you could take them back (30 days), for a full refund....... sort of like a test drive!!!!!!!!!!!!! For your 800.00 Budget- you could get the F-3's.....which will really rock the House! The F 3's are on SALE right now for 382.24 ea x 2 =$764.48! Now that is a Deal

EDIT: Dam, sold OUT -at least over the web......check your store for avaliability!

jhamer9

You said, I'd be able to listen and hear which sounds best. I agree that listening and deciding what sounds best to you is critically important, would that it were that simple. The problem is, excellent speakers can sound mediocre in poor environments with the wrong equipment (read Best Buy), while mediocre speakers might sound great in a store (again read Best Buy) but fail to live up to the audition when used in your home, irrespective of placement and equipment tinkering.

When I, and many of the others on this forum, recommend Klipsch Heritage speakers, its because weve owned and listened to them for decades, in our homes, in the homes of friends, in stores, in recording studios, etc. Ive heard every Klipsch Heritage speaker--from Khorns to Heresyssound fantastic when properly set up, or sound dreadful when used with poor equipment or improperly placed in a space. Unless you have a similar opportunity with any new speaker, IMHO long term satisfaction is more of a crap shoot with a new speaker than buying a used Klipsch Heritage.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Go to a library and peruse the back issues of audio magazines to read the rave reviews of the newest and greatest speakers that have come and gone in the last fifty years. How many of those speakers are still available and valuednew or usedtoday?

Clearly, and thankfully, Klipsch Heritage speakers are not everyones cup of tea; otherwise the used prices would skyrocket. Nevertheless, Klipschorn, La Scala, Belle, Cornwall and Heresy speakers have endured, essentially unchanged, for decades because, when used with the right equipment and in the right environment, they produce a sound that we feel cannot be equaled or surpassed at anything close to the cost. Many of the forum members have owned speakers such as Quad ESL, Dhalquist, Magnepan, etc., each of which, when used properly , has the potential to sound better than anything ever sold at Best Buy. My own BBC LS3/5As with KEF B139 transmission line subs are relegated to HT use. They are excellent, albeit power hungry, speakers that cost much more than the used Klipsch Heritage that I prefer when I listen to music.

Take your receiver to BB and see if they will let you use it to play their speakers, or ask BB if you can bring the speakers to your space. The answer will probably be no. Nevertheless, many people on this forum have done essentially that by hooking up with nearby members who invite them to their homes to hear their Klipsch Heritage speakers. Everyone listens to used speakers, but Klipsch Heritage fanciers listen to speakers that have been made and enjoyed for decades.

Ultimately, you must be happy with your purchase.

jhamer9 ,

When you purchase your speakers from Best Buy- Keep all receipts and Packaging....... I think you will love them. But if for some reason you don't - you could take them back. ( I believe it's thirty days). This way you can take them home and test drive them............

Bill H's point is well taken. By all means take advantage of a 30 day trial, if at the end of 30 days you can get a full refund--not just a store credit.

After more than 30 days of listening pleasure, if I decide to sell my '82 Heresys or '84 Cornwalls (not likely) it would be easy to get more than the $335 and $475, respectively, that I paid for them by, relisting them on Ebay. And, "I don't need no stinkin' receipts." Try doing that on day 31 with the latest and "greatest" that BB has to offer.

jhamer9 - Since you're mentioning bookshelf models of speakers, you best go into the Klipsch site and search for these used models that are being suggested so you can see their dimensions. Aside from the Heresy, all the others are like having 2 more pieces of furniture in the room.

That said, if you find the Cornwall too large for your situation, I suggest you consider the Forte or even the Quartet (again, only available used). They are a bit less imposing but will offer a wonderful sound.

jhamer -

With your budget, you MUST take heed and listen to the Cornwall/Chorus recommendations. I'm telling you, these speakers will SHRED ANYTHING you can get ANYWHERE for 700-1100 new. Yes, they are used, but if you look for clean, well maintained pairs, they will probably be on earth longer than you - they are that well built.

If you buy a clean pair of Cornwalls for 800-1000, and you don't like them, come on back here, or to ebay, and sell them. You'll have little trouble selling them, especially if you bought them in good condition. Good condition Cornwalls/Chorus are easy to sell - even if they are a bit bigger - cuz folks know just how good they are.

And if you've been looking at BB at the $800 price point? PUHLLLLLLLLEEEEEEZE, you'll NEVER sell the Cornwalls - they are so out of BB's league it's a joke. Nothing against BB, but putting Cornwalls at $800-1000 used against BB stock almost isn't fair.

But in the real world, that option is available to you.....and therefore it's no contest. Seek out the Heritage. You won't be sorry.