AK-3 Networks---- Dean?

rockbobmel

I brought my Fisher amp to my tube guy yesterday, and we got to talking about my horns. He asked me if I did anything to the Xovers yet. So now i'm thinking "here we go again". My horns are mid 90' with AK-3 networks. Is there anything to gain by modding them? Is it worth the cost?

Thanks, Bob

If I had AK-3's I would just upgrade the three 2uF capacitors in the HF sections of each board. You could do the 13uF caps as well, but I've been told plenty that people don't hear a difference changing those out. I suppose if they were mine I would yank them. At any rate, you asked if it was worth the money? Uh, yeah -- definitely.

----------------

On 4/17/2005 1:14:09 AM DeanG wrote:

If I had AK-3's I would just upgrade the three 2uF capacitors in the HF sections of each board. You could do the 13uF caps as well, but I've been told plenty that people don't hear a difference changing those out. I suppose if they were mine I would yank them. At any rate, you asked if it was worth the money? Uh, yeah -- definitely.

----------------

DEAN.....You got mail!

So Deano, its worthwhile for me to swap out the three 2uf caps in the HF circuit in my modded AK-2's? If so can you email me a price on the cost of the six caps that I need to do so. That area of the network is pretty tight are the Auricaps small enough to fit in that same area on the board.

Is it around $52 for the two 13uf caps for the midrange circuit? I might as well change out those too since all my other networks are updated.

Talk to me Deano! Are you still wanting to do the swap for my single Jensen PIO AA that we discussed. Please lemme know.

Well at least I'm close to having all the networks done.

So Deano, its worthwhile for me to swap out the three 2uf caps in the HF circuit in my modded AK-2's?

You mean the ones that are really AK-3's:), sure it's worthwhile.

If so can you email me a price on the cost of the six caps that I need to do so. That area of the network is pretty tight are the Auricaps small enough to fit in that same area on the board.

As far as fit goes, I don't know. I'm hoping Gilbert will send me his. If it's too tight, we might have to go with an oval type like the MultiCap. If so, you can see those prices at Percy's site. I don't get OEM pricing on those.

Is it around $52 for the two 13uf caps for the midrange circuit? I might as well change out those too since all my other networks are updated.

That price is close, since it would include shipping to me, and then to you.

Talk to me Deano! Are you still wanting to do the swap for my single Jensen PIO AA that we discussed.

No, but I'll do it for you.:) I've just received the two 20uF Auricaps for your board, and I'm still waiting on a Solen order which has the litz inductor and the 3.3 Solen F&F on it. So, hang in there!

Whoa! I just checked Parts Express for the 2uf Theta AudioCaps and Kimbers - Wow! They are like $11 and $13 apiece respectively, yet the Dayton's and Solen's are only like $2 apiece - holy snikees. I guess the Dayton's & Solen's aren't much better than what is currently in there.

So to replace the six 2uf caps is going to be on the order of $70, not sure if I could squeeze them into the spots where they are currently though, may have to get creative.

The AK-3's will have to be unsoldered in order to send them to you Dean, not sure how handy Gilbert is with a heated iron in his hands. Not that it is too difficult but it can be tricky for sure.

Certainly a decent price on those and they are shaped like the originals. Dunno on the audio quality piece though, cheap enough to try I guess.

I think I'll just suck it up and get the Kimbers though. The price goes down some if I buy more than 3 and I need 6.