KG 4s and Center Channel

robjrmo

Hello,

I currently have a pair of Klipsch KG4s that I purchased back in 1990. They have been a great investment. I just purchased an Onkyo receiver and I want to incorporate these Klipsch KG4s into a 5.1 surround set up, those being the front L and R. Since Klipsch speakers have such a high sensitivity, 94db for the KG4s, higher than any speaker I have seen specifications on, what would be the ideal center channel to purchase? Most speakers in the low to mid price range that I have seen have a sensitivity around 89db. Any ideas on what I should go with for rear surrounds? Thanks for your help. Rob 1.gif

Hi, any of the KV series of centers should mesh well. You should be able to level match volume, with the Onkyo's settings menus.

For a perfectly balanced rig, 5 Kg4's would be the cats meoww, but IMO, a Kg 4 would look goofy as hell on top of the TV. However, I've seen verticle Cornwalls used, with not an ounce of WAF considered.

As for rears, anything from the Kg line.

Obviously, all of these would be found on the used market, so keep your eyes and ears peeled. 16.gif

Agree with others...find more KGs and KVs. My first klipsch speakers were KG4s Fantastic. I used then as R/L mains with other brand centers (3 actually) never sounded quite right, you need something that matches sonically and sensitivity. You are on track for a great system.

Good Luck, Rich

The KV series were designed to blend with the Epic Series speakers CF-1, CF-2, CF-3, CF-4 and NOT the KG line! While they will sound decent they are not timbre matched to the KG series of speakers.

You need to look for a KG2, KG2.2V, or KG2.5V for the best possible timbre matching up front. You can also use the aforementioned speakers as your rears or even better another pair of KG4's.

I use a KV3 as a center with KG5.2's as mains and IMO I think it sounds great. I'm not saying that Klipsch designed this to go with it but it is what the delear sugested and sold me at the time I bought the 5.2's. I assume if there would have been a better match he would have sold me that. He had to order the KV3.

If you do a search on this website for the KV3 the main speaker matches are all the KG line. it doesn't mention the CF line at all on the KV3 page.

If you do a search on KG4.2 it gives KG2.2v as the center.

The KG4 page doesn't list a center match.

So Klipsch is not clear on what to use.

Steve

Frzninvt is correct. For KG 4 and 4.2 the KG2.2V was the center channel

speaker. For the CF series the KV-4 was the center. The KV-1 , 2 and 3's

were for the KG4.5 and 5.5. The KG*V ended production in 94 were as the

KV were produced from 93-98. The CF speakers were only produced from

94-96. So it does depend upon the 4 speaker. Weather it's a 4.0, 4.2 or a 4.5.

I have KG5.5s in my setup. I also have a KV-2 center speaker and, sorry to say, have to agree I think it is a terrible match for the KG line.

Why Klipsch never made a bookshelf version of the KG line up is beyond me.

Is anyone else having problems with this forum? I keep having to log in everytime I make a post. I usually use Mozilla, but am using IE for this sight. Thanks.

Edit: What I mean by bookshelf, is one with a 10" or 8" woofer in it, sort of like how the RB-75 is with the RF-7s

That is a cool little speaker. The only thing though, it still uses a different tweeter than the KG4.5 and KG5.5. That said, I would hate to take a chance (especially if I haven't heard it) on getting the KG2 in hopes of matching it up with my 4.5s or 5.5s. With that 35Hz low end though, I bet 5-7 of those would sound killer in a surround system.

As far as surrounds go, if you have the space, I would look for another pair of KG4.5s to match your fronts. I don't think you will be disappointed. I had mismatched surrounds before (Yamaha bookshelfs) and they were alright with DD5.1 DVDs, but absolutely horrible with 5.1 DVD-A and SACD. Adding another pair of KG5.5 really opened things up.

I'm kinda in the same fix for a center as you are. I have posted a similiar question (though it was a couple of years ago) and some had mentioned about building a custom center speaker and using the drivers, components from an extra 4.5.

Since I have the 5.5s, what I had it mind was to make a whole new cabinet and use the crossover and drivers from a used KG4.5. They have the same horn tweeter as the 5.5. The dimensions would be the exact same as a stock 4.5 cabinet, except it would be at least 10" shorter in height if I decided to keep it front ported like my others.

Truth be told, I'm an amateur at this so my limited knowledge tells me I might have to compromise the port size due to going with smaller cabinet. Also, the low extension wouldn't be as low as with the stock cabinet, but should still be better than my KV-2 (which is 75Hz). Besides, I have a sub for that anyways.