What tube amp to drive Cornwalls

ricky588

I need a little guidance as I am new to this tube game. I am on the verve of giving in and buying tube equipment. My budget will be around $2000 for a pre and power(preferably monoblocs). What combination will work best with the Cornwalls. My present pre and power are Nad silver series S100 and S200. Any help for the newbie would be greatly appreciated as I am suffering from itchy feet.

Ricky.

For a little less than $1000 with shipping, you could easily hook yourself up with a new $260 6SN7 line stage preamp and a pair of class-A 300B dual monoblocks for $680 total.

My Cornwalls sound the best I've ever heard them with my setup (I have the stereo power amp; the monoblocks weren't available at the time). See my profile...

Well I had a tube HK reciever that sounded worse than anything I ever heard that had pretensions to high fidelity. And one of the worst amps I ever heard on my speakers was an AudioNote 300B.

Tube amps can sound bad you know. It's not magic.

If a fella wanted advice on tubes from me I'd say get a Jolida integrated. Good sound with efficient horn speakers and not too expensive. I'm pleased with mine.

----------------

On 4/14/2005 9:19:49 PM ricky588 wrote:

Thanks for the info and they look like expensive peices of equipment. Do you find the power is enough to drive them to moderate levels?

----------------

My amp's only 8 watts per side...in my small room playing full organ recordings up to 100dB, yes, the low power is sufficient. In a much larger room, maybe not. BEZ does make the model T9B-1 KT88 driven, push-pull monoblocks that I think are 60 WPC at $900 a pair...more than enough power to drive Cornwalls. If interested, contact Edmund Lam at edmund_l39@hotmail.com.

I have to agree. The primary strength of the horn format is the efficiency and the low distortion characteristics. Heck, I remember Paul demonstrating the LaScalas in auditoriums with a Crown D50 (give or take) and he would shock folks. I think its easy to get a bit carried away with the monster amps that, while nicely designed, are not really necessary.

As long as the units exhibit sufficient capacitive reserve and you operate the units within their linear range you are fine. That being said, a pair of Krell or Pass Lab monoblacks for ~$10-15K sure sound great! Even when they are turned off!9.gif

check out redwine audio .Do a search and read the posts.Vinnie can configure a set up for you.mono blocks,passive pre and get you were you wanna be.Clean no hassle battery operation,no heat issues,no failing or questionable tubes,and fabulous sound.No restocking fee,s for audition, just return shipping which I,d be suprised will be an issue once you hear them.Tremendous sound for your dollar.

Also look at the Almarro integrated lineup. You can get the 205A 5 wpc integrated for around 800USD or the A318A integrated 18WPC for around 1500USD. I auditioned the 205A and bought the A318A. I have heard the 205A on my Hersey's and the A318A on both the Heresy's and the Lascalas. They both sound great. Just my .02

Cheers, Patrick

post-17366-1381926410579_thumb.jpg

Do not forget to check out the EL-34 based Cayin TA-30 integrated. You can find them in stock form for around $500 on AudioGon, or like the one I had around $700 hotrodded. Great build quality, fit and finish is first rate. Used one for a year with Cornwalls and was quite pleased. A good buy for the money.

My restored and mildly massaged Dynaco SCA 35 produces excellent sound from my '84 Cornwalls. It also produces plenty of volume from my less efficient '82 Heresies.

I assume that you want something more esoteric than a pedestrian vintage Dynaco, but this information might assist you with any concerns about minimum power requirements for Cornwalls. The bottom line is you do not need lots of watts to enjoy Cornwalls, but you might miss some of the bottom end.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

The Dyna SCA 35 is nominally rated at 17.5 watts per side. After replacing all of the resistors and capacitors with modern counterparts of superior quality, and after canning the electrolytic capacitors in favor of modern counterparts of superior quality, the unit tests out at 11 watts per side. The sound is very good and the bass seems to be improved over the bone stock pre restoration performance.

Nevertheless, the bass performance of the Cornwalls is noticeably tighter and improved when using my SS H/K 430 receiver with 25 watts per side. Many Forum members elect tube power for the mids and highs of their Klipsch Heritage speakers, with SS power to the bass.

Your budget allows you to select from many excellent tube amps. If provided with a choice between better sound and more power at the same price, my recommendation would be to spend your money for quality rather than power.