best CD changer under $500

dmethe3

the sony DVP-NC685V is a 5 disc CD/SACD/DVD changer that has received excellent reviews and suggested retail is $250

the abosolute sound magazine picked it as an "editor's best choice" under $1000 in the feb/march 2005 issue (page 28)

http://www.avguide.com/product/Players_Recorders/SACD_&_DVD-A_Players/Sony/DVP-NC685V_/2887.jsp

i own the model that was released a few years earlier (the DVP-NC650V)..... it does a great job on CD's and DVD's...but it really excells on SACD's

going for about $200 or so online

http://buyriteelectronics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=DVPNC685V

1.gif

I would like to suggest adding an additional $100-150 to your budget and buy a used Jolida JD100A Tubed CD. The Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000 is a highly praised tube unit too, I'm just not sure as to its current resale pricing.

http://www.audiogon.com/index.html This link to Audiogon is where I purchased my used Jolida JD100A. Ive been very pleased with this player in its un-modified condition.

Hopefully, others will have suggestions as well.

----------------

On 4/18/2005 9:02:27 AM ShapeShifter wrote:

I would like to suggest adding an additional $100-150 to your budget and buy a used Jolida JD100A Tubed CD. The
Ah! Njoe Tjoeb 4000
is a highly praised tube unit too, I'm just not sure as to its current resale pricing.

This link to Audiogon is where I purchased my used Jolida JD100A. Ive been very pleased with this player in its un-modified condition.

Hopefully, others will have suggestions as well.

----------------

I second that. JUst picked up an AH! on Audiogon and am very happy.

For 1/2 of your budget, I HIGHLY reccomend the Philips 963SA. Add a Blackgate capacitor for $25 and you are set. You will not believe the performance of this unit. Here are a couple for $225:

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/auc.pl?dgtlplay&1114306622

http://cls.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlplay&1118531270

I bought one on a leap of faith by a reccomendation here and am really satisfied.

The Cambridge gets high reviews too (no personal experience). Look for the 630 Azur at about $500.

Chris

----------------

On 4/18/2005 6:26:24 AM dmethe3 wrote:

I'M LOOKING TO REPLACE MY OLD YAMAHA CD CHANGER
.ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR UNDER $500? MY LOCAL DEALERS CARRY YAMAHA,SONY,AND MARANTZ.THANKS.
----------------

Text says looking to replace a CD Changer. Doesn't state that replacement should be the same. I try not to assume, and allow the requestor to qualify their intent.

Probably not the answer you're looking for. When I changed amplification to my Yamaha with onboard D/A conversion my cheap Technics SL-MC7 disc changer started sounding like a way better, more expensive machine. Previously I was using analog out from the Technics, and it sounded like crap.

Is digital I/O from the CD to amp an option with your setup?

----------------

On 4/18/2005 11:34:53 AM ShapeShifter wrote:

----------------

On 4/18/2005 6:26:24 AM dmethe3 wrote:

I'M LOOKING TO REPLACE MY OLD YAMAHA CD CHANGER
.ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR UNDER $500? MY LOCAL DEALERS CARRY YAMAHA,SONY,AND MARANTZ.THANKS.
----------------

Text says looking to replace a CD Changer. Doesn't state that replacement should be the same. I try not to assume, and allow the requestor to qualify their intent.

----------------

look at the title of the thread!

"best CD changer under $500"

1.gif

lol, I love how many threads go on where the answers are going a way different direction...it's probably cuz the people answering are thinking about or have been looking at single players and just let their recent thoughts spill out 2.gif

I personally have found nothing lacking with any Sony CD changer...I don't remember all the models that I've listened to over the years, but everyone I've heard sounds good. I really like the control that the transport gives you (ie, I like how they fastforward and how the playlists set up and all that). They of course sound better with the digital outputs.

In fact, I have found that every CD player sounds better when using the digital out into a better DAC...whether or not the specific DAC in your reciever is better than the one in the unit or other standalone units is another issue 2.gif By better, I mean less grainy sounding (ie, cymbals sound smooth instead of crunchy).

My second choice from your list would be Marantz, but I would only consider "Marantz Pro" products. Here's a 5 disc DVD changer (which will do CDs too of course):

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=245-764

I've never heard it, but thought I'd throw it out there to look at. It costs $450

----------------

On 4/18/2005 11:54:19 AM dmethe3 wrote:

I would prefer a changer, but am not opposed to a single. Anyone have experience with the Sony 2000ES?
----------------

My bother bought a Sony 2000ES. It works nicely. Feels pretty solid compared to some of the under $500 stuff out there. I have not done extensively listening to it so I'm not going to say it's some giant slayer. But it would probably be an improvement over your old Yamaha Changer. Plays SACD too I think.

I looked at your system profile and didn't see a DVD player listed. Have you considered getting a new DVD changer to replace the Yamaha. Most do a great job with CDs......just a thought.

Rick.

EDIT: I see it's already been mentioned. Sorry.

By the way I see you're using Cornwalls with a KLF-C7 center. That's gotta rock with the Heresy surrounds and SW-15 sub!!

----------------

On 4/18/2005 5:55:20 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

i have a suggestion ...

i don't think any" Audio File " ..

should own a "Changer " ....

9.gif

----------------

I feel the same way. They quite nasty at best. But if you are looking to load a boat load of cd's into one, they are quit effortless. Sound like doo doo IMHO. But then again, I think a transport, jitter reclocker, and outboard dac is the only way to go.

----------------

On 4/18/2005 5:55:20 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

i have a suggestion ...

i don't think any" Audio File " ..

should own a "Changer " ....

9.gif
----------------

more than a few of the "changers" that you are raising your nose at sound much better than ANY carver CD players ever made....(and i am a carver fan)... i owned a carver CD player three upgrades ago.... (and every newer CD player was better than the previous one)

here are several models of "changers" that the Absolute Sound magazine picked as best products in their respective price ranges for high-resolution digital sources

Sony DVP-NC685V - 5 disc DVD/CD/SACD changer - (recommended earlier in this thread) - MSRP $250

http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/article.asp?section_id=3&article_id=632&page_number=1

"With all due respect to the venerable CD, I began my listening session by popping in the six-channel SACD version of Shania Twains Up! The catchy title tune features Twains honey-sweet vocals in the front left/right channels along with guitars, piano, synthesizer, drums, and bass guitar. Guitars, piano, and synthesizer also appear in the surround channels, with just a dash of reverberated vocals. The taut kick drum and bass guitar get the subwoofer channel all to themselves, which creates a rock-solid foundation. In the center channel theres only a touch of reverberated vocals and the piano track, but the mix makes great use of spatial cues, adding to the song but not drawing attention to itself.

Overall sound quality on the Sony player was first-rate, with the kind of clarity that youd expect from a pop recording on SACD. The synthesizer and guitars in particular really jumped out of the surround speakers with terrific punch and aggressive energy, without ever sounding harsh."

Sony DVP-CX985V - 400 disc CD/SACD changer - MSRP $400

http://www.epinions.com/content_115454348932

"The sound quality of CDs and DVD depends on the receiver and speakers you use, provided you employ the changers optical or coaxial digital audio connection. If you use the analog 5.1 out (which you have to do for SACD), the sound is excellent (if your receiver and speakers are good enough). The changer even provides bass management for all formats it plays, including SACD!"

Integra DPC-8.5 - 5 disc DVD/CD/SACD/DVD-audio changer - MSRP $700

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_11_3/integra-dpc-85-universal-player-9-2004.html

"Auditioning the Integra has really whet my appetite for DVD-A and SACD. If a $700 multi-format player can go this far with those formats, I can only imagine what a far more costly player can do with them. I now understand what Secrets Editor John Johnson meant when he sent me an e-mail stating that the $8,000 one-piece Classé SACD player blows my transport/Theta Redbook CD combo out of the water. (At least, until the Theta Gen VIII acquires the ability to decode SACD bitstreams - Ed.)

The Integras strength in audio lies with reproducing high-resolution formats, especially SACD. It gives enough of a sense of these formats potential to deliver a satisfying listening experience. Those accustomed to live performance, especially of orchestral and choral music, will note a lack of bass and treble extension. Equally apparent is that the Integras enviable degree of clarity, depth and air on high resolution formats are achieved in part by eliminating detail that might otherwise muddy up the image. What you end up with may have an overly quiet, slightly sterile sound that will never be mistaken for the real thing. But taken on its own terms, it is also quite pleasing. (My own experiences with SACD are that the detail is there, but just not so much in your face. And, the bottom line is that a high end CD setup can still outperform a modest priced DVD-A/SACD setup, which is why I asked Jason to review this player. Nevertheless, DVD-A and SACD are big steps forward, keeping the overall price the same - Ed.)

The Integra DPC-8.5 offers a degree of musicality that makes it highly competitive. If memory of the now-discontinued $299 Sony SCD-CE775 5-disc SACD/DVD-V changer (auditioned in a very different system) serves me right, the Integra represents a giant step forward. It also sounds a lot better on SACD and DVD-A than the $499 NAD 541i did on HDCD-encoded CD.

For $700, the Integra DPC-8.5 is a noteworthy achievement. And thats simply in two-channel audio. When you add in such bonuses as DVD-As video options, multi-channel DVD-A and SACD, along with DVD-V, you realize just how far weve come in a remarkably short time."

perhaps you need to get out more

btw - i am not an "audiophool" and never plan to be one