How much do ohms matter?

tommyboy

No.

That amp's rating is simply a ( probably exaggerated ) statement of its maximum power output into a 6 ohm load.If the impedance of the speakers drops below 6 ohms ( a relatively rare event ) then the amp will be called upon to deliver a little more power...Assuming of course that it has the capability of doing so. If the amp does not have the ability to provide the extra power then you will get greater distortion.

On the other hand if the speakers present a higher impedance then the power output of the amp will be reduced ( a very common occurence ).

The impedance ( the AC equivalent of resistance ) varies with frequency and is not by any means a constant value. Klipschorns for example which are rated as 8 ohm speakers can range anywhere from about 5 ohms impedance to 60 ohms depending on the frequency of the input signal.

Most receivers are rated to run speakers from 6 to 16 ohms. If you have an 8 ohm speaker, it should work well on a receiver rated from 6 to 16 ohms.

Trouble starts when someone wants to run 4 ohm speakers on a receiver rated down to 6 ohms. The receiver may run hot and/or may shut down. Only a few brands of receiver are rated to run 4 ohm speakers, while nearly any separate amp will run 4 ohm speakers.

Nill

actually my local hi-fi tech told me that if I switched my Yammie from 8 ohms to 6 ohms, there is a computerized protection circuit that would help 'save' my amplifier from overheating if I overdrive it. Something about it comparing the amount of power being requested from each channel and backing off if some limit was reached. Makes some sort of sense. There is no way you can get 130 watts x 7 out of a box that takes in like 300 watts. Not for long anyways....

Michael

BTW Michael, how ya been? You was in the dumps earlier....

I'll look at that after I do the YPAO. I finally moved my system into the living room (with a lot of help from my beer buddy who came up to visit in order to hide from his wife).

My system is a mix of 8ohm (chorus) and 6ohm (KG4). You think this would work for me?

Sarge, set yours to 6 Ohms, the protection only comes on when you drive a bunch of channels really hard for a long time. Keeps things from heating up too much. Have you had your fan come on yet? I know a guy with HK AVR who put a bunch of computer boxer fans on top of his unit, it was getting up to 130 degrees.

Yes, depression partially abated, doing better.

email or msg me after you do the YPAO.

Michael