Record Cleaning System, Best I ever used!

DizRotus

----------------

On 4/24/2005 10:22:10 AM McKlipsch wrote:

I'm interested in trying this cleaner. Could anyone tell me what this surfactant is?----------------

A surfactant is any agent that, when added to a liquid, breaks down the surface tension (the phenomenon that causes a liquid to bead rather than sheet) of that liquid. Mild soap is often added to liquid weed killer as a surfactant to allow the liquid containing the weed killer to coat the leaves of the weeds. RainX is a surfactant. Dont get hung up on the surfactant.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

As Ive stated, its been some time since I last mixed up a batch of this stuff. I do not specifically recall the surfactant that I used, nor do I recall the suggested surfactant options. I can state that obtaining the glycerin from a pharmacist (although a simple enough task) is many times more daunting than selecting and procuring a suitable surfactant.

Be daring. Risk $10.00. You wont be disappointed, and you wont lose sleep, time or money in the pursuit of an elusive surfactant.

Seti

Re:"A while back there was a gathering at someones house where everyone was talking about this cheap lp cleaning system where you put the lp in and literally spun ? hand cranked it clean ? Anyone have a clue as to what i'm thinking of ?"

That may well have been the Spin Clean Record Washer.

It is available from:http://www.garage-a-records.com

The Disk Doctor is another possibility.

----------------

On 4/24/2005 6:10:42 PM lynnm wrote:

Seti

Re:"A while back there was a gathering at someones house where everyone was talking about this cheap lp cleaning system where you put the lp in and literally spun ? hand cranked it clean ? Anyone have a clue as to what i'm thinking of ?"

That may well have been the Spin Clean Record Washer.

It is available from:

The Disk Doctor is another possibility.

----------------

You are probably refering to the gathering at Andys house a month or so ago. The cleaner was indeed the spin clean system and it works very well. I use microfiber towels (like for car detailing) to wipe the records dry. The don't leave any dust ect behind and do a great job of sucking the water/fluid up.

OK got my stuff and I'm ready to mix up a batch. Seems the surfacant is included (Cyastat). I'm reading that you can add up to 10% denatured Alcohol. But don't use the mineralized grade methylated spirit. Question is what is the right type of denatured alcohol to use or do you even need it?

----------------

On <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />
5/1/2005
9:44:05 AM McKlipsch wrote: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

"Question is what is the right type of denatured alcohol to use or do you even need it?"

----------------

As previously stated, its been awhile, but I recall using 91% Isopropyl alcohol (9% H
O) thats available at any drugstore for approximately $1.00 per pint bottle
. DO NOT use rubbing alcohol
, which is a mixture of Isopropyl, lanolin and H
O.

I believe you could also use grain alcohol which is approximately 95% alcohol (5% H
O) and is considerably more expensive.

In any case, I have excellent results using 91% Isopropyl alcohol.
I dont recall if the directions suggest it, but use an empty and clean dishwashing liquid bottle with a push to close top to store the mixture.
It will keep for a reasonable amount of time in such a container, and can be easily squirted onto the records.
I used small (~6-8 oz.) plastic cups to stack several records in a tower to dry.

It was my recollection that the surfactant was included, but it's been some time and I wasn't certain so I didn't want to indicate anything more than, "don't sweat the surfactant."

Please post your results and opinions.

Yes, use the non-hydrated 91% isopropyl alcohol.

The solution works very well. I too have used it since the early 80's when Reg Williamson (if my memory still functions) introduced it in Audio Amateur

FYI, you can use the remainder of the 91% isopropyl alchohol as "Gas Dry" in your gas tank, as it bonds with the water and will 'carry it out' of the gas tank. ...Cheaper then buying the same thing for substantially more with fancy labelling!

Thanks i guess i should have read more carefully. I bought 91% isopropal for the anti stat agent. Works great by the way. Thought i needed both isopropal and denatured for the facial. Well gotta get it mixed up before the wife see's i'm using her pyrex stuff.