Record Cleaning System, Best I ever used!

DizRotus

Ive got no financial stake in or connection to this company, but their record cleaning system works wonders.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

http://www.audioxpress.com/bksprods/kits/km-9.htm

I first used this stuff when it was just Audio Amateur and Old Colony Sound Labs.

You mix the white powder supplied into a slurry (oh so British). You then pour it on the record allowing it to form a thin film on one side of the record. When the film dries, you peel it off, giving the record a facial. It pulls the dirt from the grooves. You can also add an anti-static agent.

Records that had been unplayable were rendered like new. It wont help if someone has autographed the record with a Boy Scout knife, but it will revive many records that look and sound beyond reclamation. It takes some work, but this is supposed to be a hobby.

Have any other Forum members have ever tried this stuff, and, if so, what were your results?

Boy that looks interesting , and you say it works too. I bought a spin clean washing system a while back , but I havn't tried it yet, I think it cost around $50. The trouble I have with the good record cleaners is the price. I mean I have about 250 records and it's hard to think about spending a few hundred dollars or more for what they say is a good record cleaner for maybe 50 dirty records. I like the price of your record cleaner also, under $10, I mean even if I didn't like it, I'am only out $10.2.gif

A while back there was a gathering at someones house where everyone was talking about this cheap lp cleaning system where you put the lp in and literally spun ? hand cranked it clean ? Anyone have a clue as to what i'm thinking of ?

It really works well. But it will cost somewhat more than $10.00. You must supply pure Isopropyl Alcohol (not rubbing alcohol; it has lanolin) and glycerin, both of which are available at the local drugstore.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Not only does it clean records better than anything else that I ever used, but the optional anti-static agent tends to keep them from attracting more dirt. Its fun to do also.

Cool! I saved those two articles by Reg Williamson back in 1981. But during all those years, never bothered to mix up the recipe. It entails making a slushy solution, and you need a double boiler to do it. Or at least that's the way it was in 1981. Is this new powder okay without boiling?

Then you apply it to the vinyl, more or less like you're painting it on, then when it dries to a film, you peel it off. But this solution needs a while, like overnight, in order to dry. Or at least it did in 1981. Does it still need that long to dry?

What does Reg recommend as a surfactant now?

DizRotus,

I guess I read it wrong,sorry,I saw where the kit cost $10 and didn't see the other items you have to buy, would you say $20 total cost? I also was wondering what kind of record cleaners you have used in the past that this system is better than. This whole thing looks very interesting.1.gif

Yes $20 tops.

As to Paul's questions:

I've never needed to use a double boiler to create the slurry. Once mixed, it keeps in a recycled dishwasing liquid bottle for quite some time. You squirt the mixture from the bottle directly onto the record.

Yes, it must dry over night. For that night you must play your other record.

Once treated, records tend to stay clean for a long time.

Like Klipsch Heritage, this stuff has been around for decades, because people like it; because it works.

----------------

On 4/21/2005 9:21:47 PM DizRotus wrote:

Yes, it must dry over night. For that night you must play your other record.

----------------

Good thing I have two!

What do you use for a surfactant?

I bet this is the absolute best way to deep clean a record. I think after 24 years I am finally ready to give it a go.

----------------

On 4/21/2005 9:33:39 PM Parrot wrote:

What do you use for a surfactant?

----------------

It's been some time since I last mixed up a batch. I don't specifically recall the surfactant used, but I do recall that it was something that's readily available and inexpensive. I just looked to see if I could locate the supplies and instructions, but I can't. I think they're with my memory pills.

You must be over 50 like me, I'am 54 (todays my birthday) and I will be working outside on something and come into the house to get something and forget what I came in the house for, go back outside and than I remember, and try to hold on to the thought so I can go back into the house and get it.9.gif

----------------

On 4/21/2005 9:01:30 PM Randy Taylor wrote:

I also was wondering what kind of record cleaners you have used in the past that this system is better than. This whole thing looks very interesting.
1.gif
----------------

The ubiquitous Discwasher, and a more elaborate contraption, whose name escapes me. With this stuff I resurrected a pile of 45s that had been thrown out as useless. LPs sound like new.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

To let them dry I place plastic cups on the labels and stack them several records high.

----------------

On 4/21/2005 10:18:06 PM DizRotus wrote:

In the 70's, when I had a mobile DJ business, I would use this stuff prophylactically on new records.

----------------

Let me get this straight. When making love to music, the prophylactic goes on the record?

----------------

On 4/22/2005 9:59:50 AM Parrot wrote:

----------------

On 4/21/2005 10:18:06 PM DizRotus wrote:

In the 70's, when I had a mobile DJ business, I would use this stuff prophylactically on new records.

----------------

Let me get this straight. When making love to music, the prophylactic goes on the record?

----------------

Wow I've been doing it wrong all these years after work today I am going to the Prophylactic Emporium.

10.gif