Anyone know how to fix cracked stained glass?

wheelman

My uncle made me a lamp that is stained glass. It looks sort of tyedye, in an awesome light/ ocean blue. I acidentally knocked it off the bookshelf. It's still intact, but it's cracked like a spider web. I don't mind it staying that way. Just wondering if anyone knows of a glue that would go on clearly to keep it alive? Maybe something I could just apply all over the panel that is clear so the light will come through and you can still see that amazing blue.

Thanks. I already took it to him, and he had it for quite some time and didn't have the exact panel to match plus his health isn't the greatest. A good half year went by. Then he gave me another one for nothing which was really nice of him, and it's a nice amber/blue/green/dash of red one. I was hoping there was some glue to revive the blue one though. It just looks so great.

Since you asked... djk posted on the material to use for the foam surrounds I want to refurbish. I had to order it, but it dries clear and it looks like you could use it for this purpose as well.

I ordered an 8 oz bottle through my local, out in the country True Value store, for less than $5.

http://www.weldbondusa.com

• Moderators

Hey, heard back from my aunt:

If your friend says the lamp is "intact" & he doesn't

mind the "spider web" look then I wouldn't touch it. There

is no glue really that can be applied unless he want to try

super glue to strengthen some of the solder joint. Actually,

without seeing this I can't tell him exactly what I'd do. But I

would imagine if he wants it to look like the original lamp,

he would need to go to his local stained glass store. I would

venture to say they would advise repairing (restoring) all the

breaks. This can get very costly & depending on who the store

is, they won't suggest an alternative cheaper way to go. Since

they obviously want to make $$. If he's OK w/ how it is, I would

advise leaving it the way it is! !

Thanks Amy, and everyone. You know what it is intact and the soldering seems to be holding really well. I just dug it up and cleaned it up. I was amazed to see that it wasn't all spider webbed. It is cracked but not nearly as bad I thought. This is really hard to comprehend. It still needs fixed, but I dont' think I would want to paste the whole panel. I wish my camera took detailed pictures, and I new how to post them. I used to use an image host. I forgot which one it was. It was a freebie with a frog I think as their mascot.

Thanks Bruce, I seen that but looked, and everthing else was connected, but got it now thanks to you. I appreciate it. As for the lamp yeah i've had it for 11 years or so. My uncle made it so it means something to me. That's why i want to preserve it..Thanks for putting it up correctly.

I work stained glass as a hobby. I recently built a panel for a transom window. (94" by 16") When I was finished I was excited about getting it in place and did it myself. Yep, you guessed it, pushed wrong and cracked two or three pieces. I put some thin CA on both sides of the cracks, and unless I tell you or you are just inspecting my work, you cannot see the cracks very well.

Get the thin CA at a hobby shop that sells remote control airplanes. It is cheaper there than at discount stores.