dust on passive radiator

r.cherry

well tomorrow is the day i have been waiting for. the forte's are comming home with me at the end of the work day tomorrow. there was a wait while the owners found replacements. seems the obvious is too hard to see so i had to help out...i asked how it was going, (the search for speakers) they said they couldn't find anything except some bose that they liked. lunch that day i printed the dealers address etc. for the local klipsch rep, left it lay in an obvious spot and shazamm. the bulb lit up in their head and off they went, 20 miles or so and they found some nice speakers so i get to have the forte's........... ok so now there is some dust on the radiator speakers. what is the best / safest way to clean it off?

seems the darn contractor isn't doing a good enough job of keeping the dust under control.

----------------

On 4/27/2005 4:57:05 PM r.cherry wrote:

...... ok so now there is some dust on the radiator speakers. what is the best / safest way to clean it off?

----------------

The little brush tool that comes with most vacuum cleaners* does a pretty good job.

* A "normal" vacuum cleaner - not a shop vac. If it has enough suction to pluck out an eyeball, don't use it on your speakers.

----------------

On 4/27/2005 8:00:01 PM codhead wrote:

----------------

On 4/27/2005 4:57:05 PM r.cherry wrote:

...... ok so now there is some dust on the radiator speakers. what is the best / safest way to clean it off?

----------------

The little brush tool that comes with most vacuum cleaners* does a pretty good job.

* A "normal" vacuum cleaner - not a shop vac. If it has enough suction to pluck out an eyeball, don't use it on your speakers.

---------------

too funny, thanks

how do i test the eyeball thing?

oh never mind.

damp cloth scares me for some reason... but i don't know or i wouldn't have asked...

I may be young, but dont let my age fool you, I know more about audio than anyone I have ever met. Having a rich dad helps to buy the stuff though.

++++++++++++++

Another humble neophyte.

What does having a rich Dad have to do with intelligence or experience?

no sweat, just play the 1812 Overture and turn it up real loud just before the cannon goes off.

I've seen a report that PWK himself used to clean the stylus on his turntable by dragging a finger across it. commented that it was good way to knock the dust off the woofers. economy of motion, that's it.

The solution to this (and numerous other similar and delicate dusting jobs) is an old electrolux vacuum (canister style).

The round attachment Electrolux used (and still uses) is made of horsehair, and will not scratch delicate surfaces. I use mine specifically for these tricky above floor cleaning jobs. That edge between the bass bin and top horn section of Belles/Klipschorns are cleaned easily, as well as those tricky to clean dust collecting fins on top of my Rega Planet CD player. And yes, it would do a superb job on the woofers - using the air valve on the handle allows you to adjust for suction - so you can clean these delicate surfaces, without taking the woofer along with it....yet the delicate brush will remove the dust - even from the surrounds - very effectively.

I even use this over my McIntosh chrome, by holding the hair edge just over the chrome surface. It will pluck the dust off the surface of the chrome by riding the hair brush close to, but not touching the chrome surface (dust could scratch Mac chrome if the brush touches, where it wouldn't have an effect on wood, for example).

The key is to DUST DRY. Applying any moisture or water will turn dust to mud. It's like cleaning carpets.....if you use a steam cleaner on a carpet that has dirt in it, you will now have mud at the base of your carpet.....good luck removing it now :)

No item has been as helpful in keeping electronics in new condition than this. Available at garage sales and resale shops everywhere! I consider my old canister electrolux as a fine tuned version of a shop vac.....