Anyone hear of the "Trogan Horse" virus?

wheelman

Well last night I got it on my computer. My free avg anti virus caught it immediately and put it in a vault. So I am new to this I run the avg scan. I am checking around this progam avg reading the help. I see that virus is called "Trogan Horse" it's actually got a name. But I see it say trogan horse/ yada yada yada/ temporary internet files. So I got thinking. Hmmm this infected file is in a vault. It can not be fixed it says. So I release it click on delete cookies, and delete temporary internet files, and offline files. Run my spybot clear out the usual trash. I then run avg scan again, and now the virus is gone or at least it's not detected. Did I do right? Does anyone know if I got rid of it? This is the first one that's ever got through.

A Trojan Horse is a type of virus. There are several of that type and if you have a virus protetion then you probably did away with it. You remember the story of the trojan hose. The army hid inside. Well, folks hide viruses inside emails that look harmless and when you open them (file of a pic or something) WHAM, you are infected.

----------------

On 4/30/2005 3:45:02 PM wheelman wrote:

If you rebooted means shutting down, and turning it back on. I did that and ran the avg anti virus fee addition scan again. No virus detected. It only took 7min 46s to scan my entire computer. Nortan took forever and this avg is free.

----------------

yes you did it correctly.

----------------

On 5/2/2005 12:46:28 AM Piranha wrote:

Trend Micro is even better but it's not free.

----------------

Trend Micro is no longer available as a standalone product but only comes bunded in a security suite. Unfortunately, like Norton/Symantec's security suite, it prevents you from installing best of breed competing components.

It's too bad!

Stick with Symantec antivirus and ZoneAlarmPro, plus Ad-Aware and Spybot (Spysweeper if you want to pay and deal with it's intrusiveness) and download the free IMSecure from ZoneAlarm's website for IM security and encryption.

Just watch for the readily available rebates and play the store's price matching offers against each other. If this is done you shouldn't have to pay more than $9 for any of the products.

while i don't recommend this for most, i personally do not run anti-virus. trend micro allows you to scan you're drives/computer free. i use trend to scan for virus and spybot and adaware to scan for bots and adware. adaware and spybot can usually kill adware but not always. once i know i have a problem ie. virus i can deal with it. some are tricky and really test my ability. i guess i am just too cheap to pay when i can delete these files myself. i have however made some mistakes and lost some data along the way, like 30k songs. fortunatly i keep things backed-up. be diligent. run adaware and spybot often.