Antivibration pads

Coytee

Went to my local plumbing wholealer yesterday and stumbled onto some antivibration pads.

Seems there are two different sized they had on the counter. 4x4 and 2x2.

They are a piece of cork, sandwhiched between two pieces of rubber. The rubber has tread to give it some traction.

He said they use them under air conditioners (compressors), anything that might have some movement.

I admit when I saw them I thought of the TT guys, or perhaps placing your amps on top of them. They're just small enough that you could probably do it without TOO much eyesore.

The 4x4's cost $1.87 and the 2x2's cost .48 each.

I'd imagine if they put those into a hi-fi magazine, they'd go for 299.99 for the 2x2 and $499.99 for the 4x4 (for a pair of course 2.gif )

Sounds a lot like Vibrapods, which go for around the same price you mentioned. Only a few bucks per. And...they were listed under Stereophile's Recommended Accessories. So, not EVERYTHING in audiophile publications are ridiculously priced.

vibropods are simply vinyl molded into pods...

vibrapodtop.jpg

these cork/rubber blocks sound just like the mapleshade isoblocks which sell for $24 - 40 for a set of four.

isoblocks_new.jpg

I wonder how I could get my hand on some of these cheap versions? Maybe I could send you a check coytee and you could mail me some? regards, tony

That lower picture is them. The ones I saw specifically, have a slightly different tread as I recall but that's 99% them.

If memory serves me, they had several BOXES of these on/near the counter. I special ordered a faucet (kind of cool sidebar, I ordered a frost proof outside faucet that has a mixer valve so I'll have cold AND HOT water at same location for when I wash dogs outside 10.gif )

Back to the point, I will be MORE than happy to go get some or even a box or two or three...

Hmm... should I get a box and sell them for $9.99 apeice on ebay (after you guys get your fill)

11.gif

Seriously though, I'd be very happy to oblige anyone. Better yet, it's Modern Supply , their website is:

http://www.modernsupplyco.com/info_lovell.htm

Their phone number is (865)-675-9572

not a bad idea about ebay, I guess that is how mapleshade and a few others got started...I know where you can buy sorbothane sheets too, you could cut that into squares and sell them for $10 a piece as well! regards, tony

----------------

On 5/3/2005 4:40:33 PM sunnysal wrote:

these cork/rubber blocks sound just like the mapleshade isoblocks which sell for $24 - 40 for a set of four.

isoblocks_new.jpg

----------------

Have you ordered any music off of Mappleshade? I have a recording from them of a Reggae band called Midnight and it is one of the best sounding CDs I own. I was curious about what else I should buy from mapleshade? The band is brilliant as well.

Does anyone know of a supplier of 'plain' sheets or pucks of sorbothane?

Let me qualify this, not boutique sheets or pucks with a fancy and expensive label, but 'industrial' sources of the same material, before it becomes exotic by virtue of the label.2.gif

I have, great stuff, Highly recommended!

Try out their samplers, or even their mp3 files on the web site.

NO Disc

----------------

On 5/5/2005 12:21:43 PM seti wrote:

----------------

On 5/3/2005 4:40:33 PM sunnysal wrote:

"<a
http://www.mapleshaderecords.com/tweaks/images/isoblocks_new.jpg">

----------------

Have you ordered any music off of Mappleshade? I have a recording from them of a Reggae band called Midnight and it is one of the best sounding CDs I own. I was curious about what else I should buy from mapleshade? The band is brilliant as well.

----------------

I have

dragon, mcmaster supply used to sell sheets of sorbothane, I bought a sheet a while back, different durameters and thickneeses available, not sure if they still do, but places like that are where to find them. regards, tony

edit:

http://www.mcmaster.com/ (they call it ultra soft polyurethane but it is really sorbothane, you can call to confirm)

http://www.sorbothane.com/PDF/StandardProduct.pdf#search='sorbothane%20sheet' (also check out thier distributors page)

http://www.protection-in-motion.com/sorbothane.html

http://www.edmundoptics.com/onlinecatalog/displayproduct.cfm?productid=1806&CFID=3546875&CFTOKEN=d8ef29a525bd8ef7-F1EE47AD-3048-41AD-8494CAE614058B24

I get mine from Grainger 2pack for 3.27

Material Handling > Mounts and Vibration Control > Vibration Isolator Pads

Pad,Anti Vibration,Pk2

Neoprene/Cork Anti Vibration Pad, Size 2 x 2 x 1 Inches, Maximum Steady Load 50 PSI, Package 2

Grainger Item: 5C027

Your Price (pk): $3.27

Manufacturer: MASON

Mfg. Model#: 5C027A

Ship Weight (lbs): 0.3

Ship Qty : 1

Sell Qty (Will-Call) : 1

Usually Ships : Today

Catalog 396 Page: 2366

here to serve! I really like sorbothane as a vibration control/isolation product...that is how it is used in scientific applications...it is used for physics demonstrations as well for its unique vibrational energy dissipation properties...just like the "dead balls" that I also recommend. regards, tony

edit: btw mcmaster does still have this product, a 12"x12"x1/2" sheet with a shore 00 durometer of 60 costs $56.34 each, that would make 36 2"x2"x1/2" pads (did I do the math right? lol), enough for nine components. that sheet is part #8514K625, there are plenty of other sizes, thicknesses and durometers availble.