Question regarding Klipsch network transformers?

jwc

I see old networks on Ebay all the time. They usually sell for cheap.

Did Klipsch use the same T2A Auto-transformer on all of the older Heritage line? For example..would the transformer on a Heresy from the 70's be the same as one from the 80's or 90's?

Do these go "bad" with time?

Would it be a bad idea to scrap the caps, inductors or resistors on an old Heritage network and utilize the original transformer, wires, particle board with klipsch label, and 8 terminal barrier strip.

I am by far NO expert on networks. However, thought I might fiddle around with old networks to get them to work with future cheap build ideas I have...such as crude DJ like speakers.

jc

Did Klipsch use the same T2A Auto-transformer on all of the older Heritage line? For example..would the transformer on a Heresy from the 70's be the same as one from the 80's or 90's?

The T2A was used in the LaScala, Belle Klipsch, and Klipschorn networks until they started using the AL, AB, and AK networks.

Do these go "bad" with time?

Everything goes "bad" eventually -- but the T2A lasts forever. :)

Would it be a bad idea to scrap the caps, inductors or resistors on an old Heritage network and utilize the original transformer, wires, particle board with klipsch label, and 8 terminal barrier strip.

Not at all.

I am by far NO expert on networks. However, thought I might fiddle around with old networks to get them to work with future cheap build ideas I have...such as crude DJ like speakers.

I'm not an "expert" either, but yeah, they are fun to play with.

JC,

You can referbish old networks but remember that they are very specific to the Klipsch heritage line. The squawker driver in particular MUST be used. The frequency response of the K55 is ACTUALLY PART OF THE CROSSOVER in every one of them! Better drivers will not only not work, they may even be destroyed!

Al K.

Button,

The networks were designed with the K33 and K77 in mind, obviously, but the crossover controls them. The K55, on the other hand, actually determines the high frequency limit if the squawker. The Klipsch networks all try to run the squawker clear to 20 KHz! If you put a driver that goes beyond 6 Khz on one of these networks it will clash with the tweeter from 6000 Hz up just like the (9 Khz glitch of the early K55V driver does).

Al K.

Got it. Makes perfect sense. So it just falls off naturally other than the glitch and then the tweet takes over from there; wouldn't that be wasteful?. Do any networks or mods actually increase the efficiencies of the Heritage line? In general?

Yes, I follow you Al.

I would probably use Klipsch drivers mentioned above and pretty much keep to previous known schematics of Klipsch networks.

Again, the reason I asked the question above, is to know if the T2A Klipsch transformer has remained the same over the years and would an old one have good quality. I am assuming at this point that one wouldn't go "bad" like a cap would.

I think Dean answered most of my question.

Al, for instance. Lets say I bought an old AA network off Ebay. Then I scrap most of it but keep some wires, terminals and the transformer. Now...what if I got a sudden leap of experience/knowledge and wanted to build one of your ALK "universal A" networks. Couldn't I use the old AA network T2A transformer and expect it to integrate in with your design?

This is not my plan...but merely to explain what I am thinking.

jc

Dean,

Let me make sure I understand this. You are saying the T2A wasn't used in the Heresys or Cornwalls pre 1980? Was this T2A only seen on A and AA networks on scalas, belles and khorn?

Jc,

I don't think Dean meant to say that. The T2A was indeed used in the Heresy and Cornwall.

And, by the way, just replacing the caps puts any of those old networks back to the shape they were in when they left the factory. It is very unusual for any other component to be bad on one of them.

Bob Crites

Button,

Yes, you got it! I believe that it is wastefull. It effectively attenuates the tweeter by diverting power to a squawker that is doing nothing. It also makes the load impedance seen by the amp go all over the place. As far as efficiency, that is pretty-much determined by the woofer. What if changes is the frequency response.

Al K.