Judging a speaker by its "specs"?

dalcorn

I'm still in the process of picking out components for my 2 channel setup. I'm not particularly in a position to just go to a dealer and listen to every setup and choose since there is not really a dealer close to me that keeps a bunch of Klipsch in stock.

How much can I base on specs? I notice for example the RF-25s say 45Hz-. Could I not expect much low end punch from them? I wanted to go with a pair of Klipsch floorstanders and either a Marantz PM7200 or NAD C320BEE. I like the fact that the Marantz has a phono stage.

What pair of Klipsch speakers would be in the <~500$ price range (cheaper the better)? I'm a college student so I was even looking at Synergy F1s. I was considering trying to get something off audiogon like heresys.

You could get a nice pair of heresies for under $400 if you're patient, but they would be really lacking in the low end. A really good deal would be a pair of Forte/Chorus for under $600-$700 (After lots of work getting them to chicago from florida my Chorus II's ended up costing me $500). You could probably find a beater pair for less too.

As far as specs go, the 45Hz is a -3dB point which means the bass is already starting to roll off there. That said, the speaker goes low enough such that I don't think you would never tell the difference until you've heard information below those frequencies. The boom from a kick drum is generally in the 60-80Hz region, with 40Hz being real low. The lowest note on a 4 string bass guitar is 32Hz.

Pick up a pair of Heresys for now - you can always add to your system, but you'll never regret buying the Heresys.

Dr. Who is right, if you are patient, you can find Heresys in the $3-350 range (I just bought a nice pair locally for $290).

James

----------------

On 5/9/2005 11:57:07 PM DrWho wrote:

You could get a nice pair of heresies for under $400 if you're patient, but they would be really lacking in the low end. A really good deal would be a pair of Forte/Chorus for under $600-$700 (After lots of work getting them to chicago from florida my Chorus II's ended up costing me $500). You could probably find a beater pair for less too.

As far as specs go, the 45Hz is a -3dB point which means the bass is already starting to roll off there. That said, the speaker goes low enough such that I don't think you would never tell the difference until you've heard information below those frequencies. The boom from a kick drum is generally in the 60-80Hz region, with 40Hz being real low. The lowest note on a 4 string bass guitar is 32Hz.

----------------

Actually, the lowest note on a standard 4 string bass guitar is typically 41.2 Hz (low E). Lower tuning is available with different strings/alternative tuning or going to more than four strings.

Dave

1.gif

----------------

On 5/10/2005 11:19:00 AM TBrennan wrote:

"but you'll never regret buying the Heresys."

That's right. Because if you tire of the clangy, fork-scraping-on-china sound you can easily sell them. Nothing lost.

My opinion ya understand.

----------------

I was under the impression that you liked Heresy's!!??

Dave1.gif

----------------

On 5/10/2005 4:02:58 PM hurdy_gurdyman wrote:

----------------

On 5/10/2005 11:19:00 AM TBrennan wrote:

"but you'll never regret buying the Heresys."

That's right. Because if you tire of the clangy, fork-scraping-on-china sound you can easily sell them. Nothing lost.

My opinion ya understand.

----------------

I was under the impression that you liked Heresy's!!??

Dave
1.gif

----------------

I thought most everyone did ? I haven't had the chance to hear the Heresy's but liked even the low-end Klipsch (synergy/promedia) and was going to buy a pair of Klipsch for this reason.

----------------

On 5/10/2005 3:50:11 PM hurdy_gurdyman wrote:

----------------

On 5/9/2005 11:57:07 PM DrWho wrote:

----------------

Actually, the lowest note on a standard 4 string bass guitar is typically 41.2 Hz (low E). Lower tuning is available with different strings/alternative tuning or going to more than four strings.

Dave

1.gif

----------------

Agree on the low E spec. But even going to a five string you still have the low as low E. In the 5 string bass. Low B, about 32.

"I was under the impression that you liked Heresy's!!?? "

I never owned any (though I've owned LaScalas and Cornwalls) until a year or so ago when I bought a pair from Smilin'.

At first I was quite taken with the dynamics and clarity of them but over time they began to grate on me. The bass-shy tonal balance and the screechy upper mids and highs were eventually too much to bear. Now I was using the speakers at ear level and that made things even worse. My wife literally couldn't stand to be in the same room with them, they actually gave her headaches, no lie.

The Heresys were replaced in that setting (an HT) with speakers more to our liking and the Heresys went into the dining room to do background music. Meanwhile the Altec 605s I had out on loan were coming home so I sold the Heresys to Colter, a member of this forum. He's happy and I'm happy.

Now understand I don't present my likings as fact but only as opinion. Speakers are all imperfect and what one likes is a matter of personal preference. I think Khorns and Cornwalls sound wonderful but I can't abide the Heresy, others disagree.

Bought at the right price, you cannot go wrong with Heresys. If you don't like them you will be able to sell them because many people like them.

I'm using a pair of Heresys for my HT rear surrounds (Cornwalls in front) and they are perfect for that job.

The Heresy was meant to be placed in a corner, they have limited bass. By placing them on stands, or bookshelves, they lose any reinforcement from placement in a trihedral corner.

Note that they were available with slanted risers, that allowed one to tilt the speaker slightly, so that the midrange and tweeter were approximately on axis with the listening position.

My advice is to not even look at the specs at all. Just listen to the speakers and choose what you like best. You could get a pair of RF-35's for $500 on Audiogon.com or ebay. The NAD is a great amplifier proly a bit better than the Marantz. Check Audiogon.com you might be able to get smething used a step above the NAD. I listed a few amps that have a nice smooth sound that should mate well with the Klipschs and will be a pretty big step up from the NAD amp.

Audio Analogue pucini

Audio Refinement Complete

Exposure 2010

Arcam A75

Rega Brio

Jolida 102b

Consonance Cyber10

I for one would never purchase any audio component based on its specs. It is all about what the component sounds like and in my experience the sound produced by a component is essentially independent of the published specs.

Some components with great specs sound great but not all. OTH components with lesser published specs sound as good or better than the wunderkind. You need to trust your ears because they are the most accurate device available for determining how any component will sound to you.

If I am considering a component that I cannot audition I will research the beejesus out of it by reading reviews ( positive and negative ) and will not buy unless I am satisfied that I can get a free home trial from a dealer or at the very least ( If buying a used piece) I can realistically hope to recover most of my cost in a resale situation.