Favorite System Demo's

InFlux

What movie and scene is everyone using to really showcase your home theaters?

For my KLF20's/C7/KLF10's I usually grab:

Top Gun (6.1 version - opening sequence on through the bar scene)

U571 (depth charge scenes)

Gladiator (opening sequence through Maximum's "execution")

Mines of Moria sequence from Fellowship of the Ring, Extended Edition, DTS track...

It has a range of sound from barely-audible whispers (Merry and Pippin when Gandalf is trying to determine where to go next); to front soundstage panning (Gandalf: "We now have but one choice... we must face the long dark of Moria. Be on your guard; there are older and fouler things than orcs in the deep places of the world"); to front-rear panning (arrows shot at them on the stairs); to full-room noisy battle (Durin's tomb); to terrific deep bass (enormous stone crashing down, the jet-engine roar of the Balrog); even a simple effect like Aragorn cleaning his sword after the Fellowship emerges into daylight is a showcase for accurate sound reproduction.

For video, back up on the same disc to "The Pass of Cardhras"; it is a very realistic color transfer, and if your video calibration is off just a little, the blue sky does not look real, and neither do the fleshtones on Frodo and Aragorn. Much of the film has undergone digital color-treatment in post, but if there is any in this scene, it has only served to make it appear extremely live and real.

I'll second that. I also like the Moulin Rouge scene in the movie of the same name -- bright colors and sounds all over the place, and the little "Material Girl" bit will show off your sub in a big way. The first few minutes of Master and Commander are a very good system workout, and the opening sequence from X-Men II is a lot of fun as well.

I use "Master and Commander" to show of the horns. The cannon fire is pretty awe-inpiring. Look, Ma - no subwoofer!

The gun fight scene of "Open Range" is also another crowd-pleaser.

"Das Boot" is another good one, as is the depth charge scene of "U-571".

DM2.gif

Some great suggestions. If you have never watched the opening scene to American Outlaws it's fantastic.

Many other not mentioned, Finding Nemo especially the "Darla" scene, but the movie is unreal all the way through as is the Incredibles. Both Ep I and Ep II of Star Wars. The Jurassic Park series have some fun moments. Fifth Element, Bourne Identity, both Spidermen, Cronicles of Riddick, Van Helsing, Gothika, Signs, T-2 and Black Hawk Down just to name a few. It really depends on the company and my mood.

Those are good, I love the Pixar stuff!

T-2 (DD) isn't as good, seems to me.

The Dinosaur sounds in JP1,2,3 sound fakey to me, you can tell that they are a mix of different things overlapping to make up a dino-roar. But it is ineffective mixing, if you ask me. It just sounds clearly fake (or "made-up") to me. I also saw a show on who they mixed the foley sounds and they played each portion of the mix to make up a dino-roar. Even includes metal sounds! Anyway, I don't like it, there are too many simultaneous frequencies for a single roar.

Or maybe I just complain too much,

DM

I like war movies to demo my system. I especially like the Special Edition 'Saving Private Ryan' DTS version. Of course the first 20 min. of the opening beach scene seems to grab your attention. I also like 'We Were Soldiers'. Both give a good system workout across the frequency spectrum, as the bullets pan across the room, or the helicopters and tanks rumble by.

I agree with The Incredibles being reference material throughout. Certainly Epi I and II but to add to the list is the "quarter" scene from Driven gets the house rumbling. The Minority Report with the fight scene in the factory and those plasma weapons is pretty cool also. Anything from the DTS demo disc gets the air moving to the delight of most audiophiles and casual listeners alike.

I think I need to make another trip to the movie store... lots of good ideas here...

I'll add another movie to my list - the opening to "Ice Age". The cracking glacier going right around me was my first experience with Klipsch's & surround sound. That experience prompted a good friend to go with a Klipsch system (can we get commissions for this stuff?).

why so LOUD? Seems like everyone picks war scenes in shootemup flicks. What about nuances of vocal passages, effects gently sweeping across the front panorama, unexpected sounds emanating from the back corners of the room? Anyone have any favorite DVD concert footage with spectacular use of digital sound field?

Anyone have any SUBTLE examples?

I for one, really enjoy Led Zeppelin No Quarter video. The instruments for the soundstage concert are spread evenly across the front speakers. You can hear every nuance in Robert's voice and Jimmy's fingers on the strings in Rain Song. The outdoor scenes have beautiful surround ambience.

Michael

For something a bit different, try the drawing room scenes in "Gosford Park," especially those when everyone is dressed for dinner. In addition to the main dialog, there are side conversations going on all around the room. Some loud, some whispered, some just the normal chitchat and vocalizations made as peopel gather. It's not whizbang, but it is a real test of your system's balance, timing/distance settings, and the realistic reproduction of your speakers.