RF-7 vs KLF20 vs Cornwall??

I only remember a few ignorant comments about the RF-7. Ill founded at best.

The only thing I think hurts them is dealers demoing them with HT receivers. YUCK!!!

I did hear a dealer demo with 300 B amp compared to a Lowther type Moth Audio single driver speaker. You could hear the crossover point on the RF-7; but dynamics, low end and high end were clearly better on the RF-7. It was a strange demo.

The glue probelms on the KLF series certainly was a disappointment in craftsmenship by Klipsch.

I have heard of no similar problems with Reference series craftsmenship.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the RF-7's and KLF-30's. It's not difficult to tell that the 7's are missing a little bit in the midrange as compared to the 30's (especially on female vocals such as Natalie Merchant). Both sets sound great together, that's how I play them 90% of the time.

I haven't played the Klipschorns with my VRD'S yet. I have the set ups at two different houses for the time being. I do plan on bringing my Nosvalved Mark IV's over and hooking them up to the Khorns though. I will post their comparison vs. the Scott 299 when I do.

I really like my Cornwalls, so I really can't say anything bad about them. The sound is incredible to me. I do have RF-5's in my HT. Would they be close to RF-7's anyone? I could hook them up to the VRD/BB combo.

RF-5s to RF-7s - somewhat similar in sound, but RF-7s are just more of a good thing - with respect to that reference sound (i.e. the horn in the RF-7s is a step up over the 5s). If you hook up your BB/VRDs to your RF-5s, it would give you a pretty good idea of what RF-7s with a nice tube setup could do.

Carl.

I should have bought the RF-5 at INDY last june; but I had enough eqiipment in my van at thew time.

Klipsch made a deal through Ovation for the Pilgrimage weekend.

I was hung up on a deal for the RB-7 at the time.

Always curious about 2 channel for the RF-5; only heard them in typical HT SS setup. Impossible to generalize how they wouyld sound with a nice tube integrated.

heresy2guy - Hmmmm...after reading your post, MSST, I know exactly what you mean.

Thanks heresy2guy!

mustang1 - have the RF-7's and KLF-30's. It's not difficult to tell that the 7's are missing a +-little bit in the midrange as compared to the 30's (especially on female vocals such as Natalie +-Merchant). Both sets sound great together, that's how I play them 90% of the time.

mustang1, I don't have this problem, I have the KLF-20 and have tested it side by side with the RF-7 on a high end amp and I do not have this "missing" midrange problem at all. The only thing I can assume is that my amp is doing a very good job. I'm very impressed with the midrange that the RF-7's can do when comparing it to the KLF-20. I find myself listening and liking the RF-7 more than my KLF-20 for the overall better presentation that the RF-7 give but I might feel differently if I had a setup that didn't give me the same results. I feel very lucky to have hit on just the right equipment combo that leaves nothing lacking. Not to say I don't like the KLF-20, I like it too, darn good speaker as well, just doesn't have the overall resolution presentation that I'm very drawn to with the RF-7. The RF-7 sounds more real with the singer being there in front of you. I could be very happy with either! And I am with both! Just that the RF-7 is a little more my favorite out of the two.

imperfectcircle25, here you go:

Klipsch Unveils New Flagship Reference Premiere Series

INDIANAPOLIS (September 9, 2004) At CEDIA EXPO 2004, Klipsch Audio Technologies will introduce the Reference Premiere Series, an elite new line up of specialty market loudspeakers that the companys brand manager calls the pinnacle of modern day horn-loaded technology and design.

Slated to ship in the spring of 2005, the luxurious and sophisticated Reference Premiere Series consists of a floorstander, center channel, surround speaker and subwoofer.

The Premiere floorstander and center channel are three-way designs that utilize a .75-inch titanium dome, Tractrix® Horn-loaded supertweeter coupled with a unique Tractrix Horn-loaded 4-inch midrange that together provide unparalleled dynamics and clarity. The woofers and midrange drivers on these models incorporate a Nomex honeycomb core sandwiched between two fiberglass layers for a cone that is incredibly light and rigid with ultra-low distortion and quick low-end response. Coupled with cast frames and powerful motor structures, these drivers are able to deliver astonishing realism.

The two-way surround speaker features dual 1-inch titanium-dome compression drivers with high-output ceramic motors mated to square 90 degree by 60 degree Tractrix Horns in a proprietary Wide Dispersion Surround Technology array. The speakers dual 6.5-inch fiberglass/Nomex woofers with cast frames and massive motor structures deliver the same quick low-end response as the floorstander and center channel. The surround also features dual keyholes with threaded inserts for multiple mounting options.

Making an ultra-performance statement, the subwoofer offers a unique digital control interface with DSP room correction for unparalleled in-room performance. It delivers extreme impact and quick low-end response due to its 15-inch cast-frame, fiberglass/Nomex rear-firing active woofer with a massive motor structure and high-excursion surround. An 18-inch fiberglass/Nomex front-firing passive radiator gives this loudspeaker its controlled deep output. The subwoofers 850-watt digital hybrid amp offers excellent control and 2400-watt dynamic peak capability.

Each Reference Premiere speaker features furniture-grade real-wood veneer elliptical enclosures with a premium fit and finish. This elegant design, in conjunction with extensive internal bracing, results in a more rigid and structurally sound enclosure. Other professional grade materials include premium 4th-order networks, custom internal wiring and magnetically attached low-diffraction grilles.

Steady growth of the Klipsch brand over the past five years has proven to more and more people that horn-loaded loudspeakers just sound better, said Jim Garrett, Reference Series brand manager. Now that the Klipsch name is so much more well known and trusted on a broader scale, we believe the market is ready to see Klipschs more esoteric side.

When the Reference Premiere Series launches in 2005, the recommended 5.1 system, consisting of two floorstanders, a center channel, two surround speakers and a subwoofer, will have a target U.S. MSRP of $14,500.

post-17547-13819264807592_thumb.jpg