RF-7 vs KLF20 vs Cornwall??

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back! I'm glad you decided to stick it out.

That's a very tough call. The RF-7 has a very clean and dynamic treble due to a titanium pro-style driver. The midbass is fast and snappy, but to get the most out of the bottom, she needs a corner. Weakness would be midrange power, but does better than most realize. The speaker is near a 100lbs because of the MDF, and has two window pane type braces -- so the cabinet is pretty stable. Out of three, the RF-7 exhibits the least amount of cabinet vibration.

The bigger KLF's have a large following. Big bass, lot's of midrange power, and lightening fast transients all the way around. I personally find them to be too much of a good thing, and think they are extremely aggressive and forward.

In signature, I think the Cornwall sits between the KLF-30 and RF-7. Not as aggressive as the KLF-30, with a top that's a bit subdued compared to the RF-7. The Cornwall possesses the "classic" Klipsch Heritage sound. You get a bottom that goes pretty deep, so you really don't need a sub (though sloppy placement will cause some boominess). Good dynamics and midrange power, but because of their age typically need a network tuneup.

For what it's worth, I have both RF-7's and cornwalls and totally agree with Dean's post. However, I would like to add that, IMO, the cornwalls sound more musical to my ears. Maybe this is the heritage sound Dean is referring to. I never heard the KLF series, so I can't comment there.

I love listening to both my RF-7's and cornwalls; however, if I was looking for a better all-round speaker that can play a wide variety music (including hard rock/metal), I would lean towards the RF-7's.

-PB

Agree with Dean. Perhaps RF with subs better for HT system. Cornwalls more musical, but not at higher volumes. From what I hear the KLF30's are THE rock and roll Klipsch speaker. RF would be most detailed, least forgiving, Cornwalls a mellower more forgiving sound, KLF in between- mostly due to woofer cone materials.

Michael

----------------

On 5/12/2005 5:24:18 PM TBrennan wrote:

"Depends what cables you use."

Oh, that was rich! LOL!

----------------

And I'll bet all three speakers in question are better than the finest Bose "Jewel Cubes" even those with the much coveted "Nautilus Ports" too!!!

Insert smilie 1.gif

DeanG said:

**Weakness would be midrange power, but does better than most realize. **

Actually Dean, I don't find a weakness at all in the midrange with the RF-7!

Give it a high-quality amp like my 400wpc and the midrange actually is

even better than my KLF-20! Believe it or not! The RF-7 has a very pleasing

fuller and richer midrange with a very good quality amp with separates. This

was one of the great surprises for me about the RF-7. The RF-7 are smoother

to listen to compared to the KLF-20 too, and more accurate.

I don't see how you gave up your RF-7 now Dean! Like you said, it's best to

have both. 1.gif

----------------

On 5/12/2005 12:55:05 PM DeanG wrote:

The bigger KLF's have a large following. Big bass, lot's of midrange power, and lightening fast transients all the way around. I personally find them to be too much of a good thing, and think they are extremely aggressive and forward.

----------------

Good Post! The above is exactly why people like the KLF series. Great Bass slam, fast transients, tons of detail and they are forward in that the singer is standing right there in front of you. A fun test for guys with other brand speakers is to listen to a set of KLFs next to brand X. When you switch the speakers between the two, you will notice that there seems to be a 10 to 15 foot distance between them. Like the band all moved back in to the wall with the Brand X. The Klipsch is like they all ran forward 10 feet. It is really wierd to actually hear this. But, it is very real. Enjoy whatever you end up getting.

1.gif

I am starting to lean towards the Cornwalls a little bit more, alot of people I have spoke to say that they are better than the rf-7's with there three way design. Most have said using a cone 10in speaker up to 2000hz is not as good as the Cornwalls mid and hig frq horns, with the cone speaker just for the bass. I would tend to agree that on paper this makes sence, but in the real world it may be a differant story. How much could I expect to spend on a mint pari of Cornwalls as new as possible hopefully from the 80's. When did they stop making them?? I know I saw a nice pair of ebay from 89 in mint shape fro around $800. I would save a hell of alot of money over the rf-7's. Im kinda torn between newer technology and looks of the Rf-7 and classic 3 way design of the Cornwalls. I bet P. Klipsch wouldnt have ever made a speaker like the RF-7 with a cone speaker operating up to 2000hz especially not as his flagshipp speaker.

"""I am starting to lean towards the Cornwalls a little bit more, alot of people I have spoke to say that they are better than the rf-7's with there three way design. Most have said using a cone 10in speaker up to 2000hz is not as good as the Cornwalls mid and hig frq horns, with the cone speaker just for the bass. I would tend to agree that on paper this makes sence, but in the real world it may be a differant story. How much could I expect to spend on a mint pari of Cornwalls as new as possible hopefully from the 80's. When did they stop making them?? I know I saw a nice pair of ebay from 89 in mint shape fro around $800. I would save a hell of alot of money over the rf-7's. Im kinda torn between newer technology and looks of the Rf-7 and classic 3 way design of the Cornwalls. I bet P. Klipsch wouldnt have ever made a speaker like the RF-7 with a cone speaker operating up to 2000hz especially not as his flagshipp speaker."""

Dude, buy Cornwalls, buy KLF-30's, buy RF-7's, and buy whatever speaker wire you want. Buy a Manley Stingray. But most of all, do a search.

Klipsch was pretty much out of it by the time RF-7 popped up, so he probably could have cared less anyway..

You can get a million opinions. But it seems to me you know the answers and you just want people to agree with you.

I'm using a vintage SS integrated I picked up for free, what kinda speaker wire would balance that out?

Get the gear and listen to it, it's the only way to find out.

----------------

On 5/13/2005 11:23:19 AM imperfectcircle25 wrote:

I am starting to lean towards the Cornwalls a little bit more, alot of people I have spoke to say that they are better than the rf-7's with there three way design. Most have said using a cone 10in speaker up to 2000hz is not as good as the Cornwalls mid and hig frq horns, with the cone speaker just for the bass. I would tend to agree that on paper this makes sence, but in the real world it may be a differant story. How much could I expect to spend on a mint pari of Cornwalls as new as possible hopefully from the 80's. When did they stop making them?? I know I saw a nice pair of ebay from 89 in mint shape fro around $800. I would save a hell of alot of money over the rf-7's. Im kinda torn between newer technology and looks of the Rf-7 and classic 3 way design of the Cornwalls. I bet P. Klipsch wouldnt have ever made a speaker like the RF-7 with a cone speaker operating up to 2000hz especially not as his flagshipp speaker.

----------------

You are falling into the classic trap of speaker purchasing - starting to base your purchase solely on others' opinions about which should work or sound best, etc. for a given application or which speaker is the "best" out of the three. Speakers are highly subjective. I have owned speakers from the Reference and Legend lines and currently have RF-7s, Belles, and a nice Vertical Cornwall - and the "classic" Heritage (and Cornwalls in particular) sound different from the Reference and Legend lines. The modern Klipsch application (versus the vintage) is a different overall sound. I like both the classic Heritage and newer Reference (and Legend) sound so I have enjoyed owning both speaker sounds.

After owning RF-3s, you might really love a pair of Cornwalls after you buy them and fire them up. Or, they may not be your cup of tea if you are used to the Reference sound. I highly advise you to listen to a pair of Cornwalls prior to buying a pair. Not as important with RF-7s or KLF-20s since they will be somewhat similar to what you are used to.

Carl.

----------------

You are falling into the classic trap of speaker purchasing - starting to base your purchase solely on others' opinions about which should work or sound best, etc.

----------------

How true. Decide for yourself.

I prefered the Legends after listening to both side-by-side. A good friend went the exact opposite direction and went for the References. We're both very happy.

It's all up to you.

P.S. Those were some great descriptions of the differences posted above...

My corns rocked, but when auditioned with a critical ear, always seemed a bit muddy, or clouded. Hard to describe. They've long been sold and my 7's are much nicer to my ear. Of course as "Mr. Arguesalot" pointed out, I'm 52, so I probably need to turn up my hearing aids and remember to position my walker mid-speaker. 3.gif

++++"I bet P. Klipsch wouldnt have ever made a speaker like the RF-7 with a cone speaker operating up to 2000hz especially not as his flagshipp speaker."++++

I must admit the same thought crossed my mind once or twice.

I doubt PWK had much input at all, if any, on the Reference series and I wonder who was really making the decision to push the company in the "2-way" speaker direction.

I don't think it was PWK, to be honest with you.

Yes, I know PWK liked the 2-way design - when the mids AND highs were produced by a horn.

Why would he want the all-important midrange being produced by a cone when he spent his whole life championing the compression driver/horn advantage?

I think the answer is fairly simple. Other people made the decision. I think they did so for marketing reasons and I think they did so in order to change the Klipsch sound so as to not give the audio reviewers the ability to bash Klipsch via their tried and true methods.

I guess it worked. Sales are way up into the stratosphere and most magazines that I've read have stopped the Klipsch bashing. True, so-called "audiophiles" still bash Klipsch, and they still resort to using the old cupped-hands-over-their-mouth routine to try and illustrate Klipsch's sound because of the horns.

I happen to think they're wrong, but here's another point: Don't they realize that with the exception of the very limted built-to-order Heritage lineup, Klipsch no longer makes speakers that use horns for the midrange?

The hornloaded midrange is perhaps the single biggest issue I've seen picked apart by so-called audiophiles and audio magazines. The magazines no longer bash Klipsch but the audiophiles still do. Guess they're just stuck in a time warp and what it really shows is their absolute hatred for Klipsch products.

Another thing that just amazes me, now that I think of it, is how people have posted here that you need 150 to 200 wpc amplifiers in order to handle the low impedence curve of the RF-7s and in order to properly bring out their midrange.

200 watts per channel for a speaker rating at 102db efficiency???

200 watts per channel needed for a speaker in order to properly bring out the all too critical midrange???

Hmmm....seems to me that PWK was able to run the Khorns with amplifiers as low as 10 watts per channel and didn't have any of those issues whatsoever.

-H2G