RF-7 goodness!!!

ottscay

Well, I went down to Soundtrack, recent paycheck, saved money, and graduation money in hand and...I have now joined the elite ranks of those of you who own RF-7 systems!!!

I am awaiting delivery (this evening, presumably) of my Carver Pro amp to drive them, but at the moment I'm listening to them hooked up to my Arcam AVR-300, which isn't doing too shabby a job of making them sing. The cherry finish is lighter than I'd expected, and it turns out I'm thrilled with how they look, even though I'd have preferred maple.

Now I just have to sell off my old system (-35 series) so I can afford to upgrade my rear speakers to rb-75s, and I will be done purchasing speakers for quite some time.

I am sooooo totally stoked! These speakers rock!

Scott

Lol! I don't have room for two systems (nor the electronics for a second). Besides, if I sell off the old system, I can get four rb-75s for surround music and truly awesome HT surround. Then I just have to start saving for an RSW-15...

The b@$tards at UPS haven't dropped off my Carver Pro amp yet, even though they've had it on a truck for delivery since 7:30 this morning (ha, you gotta love online tracking). I have to leave the state tomorrow and I'll be seriously put out if I don't get to listen to my new 7's on my new amp before I leave, especially when I paid for shipping to get it here today. Still, they sound really fantastic on my reciever (Arcam makes good reciever amps)...but it's not the same (can you hear the whine...?).

Still, audio-heaven even as is. Also, it's truly amazing how much better the rc-7 sounds (from every part of the room) than my "old" rc-35.

Scott

Congrats. I am trying to get my tv repair guy which sells audio equipment and tvs to sell the Klipsch reference line. Right now i am basically being teased with Heresy II's. I am jamming to them right now, and loving them, but I have to give them to my younger brother sooner or later. I will miss them. I would love to own some references though. By the way how is that Arcam for two channel? I read alot of reviews about arcam being a good receiver for music also.

Wheelman, I cannot say enough about how wonderful the Arcam is for music, whether in stereo, Neo:6, or with SACD pass-through. For example, tonight, even though I don't have a seperate amp to drive the RF-7s (thanks to the innept POS employees at UPS...but that's another story), so I'm using the reciever to drive all of them. No muddiness in the bass, and the highs aren't harsh at all. Frankly, I can't believe how good these speakers sound being driven by a reciever, sonsidering how demanding they are on amps. I honestly think it's one of the best revievers ever made. It does not have auto-EQ, etc, which I know is all the rage right now, but that's ok by me, as I'd rather adjust it manually (I'm not using the EQ at all at the moment...it isn't necessary).

Scott

And once again...I love the RF-7's!!!

Thanks Bobby. Duff: I'm sorry, but I flew out today, and UPS still hadn't shown. It will be a week before I get back to hook up the Carver Pro and listen to it. I promise to provide my thoughts when I get back to do it.

Scott

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I got back and had a chance to hook up my Carver Pro ZR1000 stereo amp up between my Arcam AVR-300 and my RF-7s. I should point out that to my ears, the AVR-300 is the best sounding reciever I have heard (yet!). All other observations were also done with my ears, and I cannot promise similar results for all other listeners... 2.gif

Impressions: My honest first impression was suprise at how similar the sound was; this has to be props for the amp Arcam is putting in their flagship reciever. Of course, for the price they ought to put a darn good amp in there. On longer listening in stereo mode, a few differences became more clear. Mostly, there is a bit more detail in the bass, which is probably to be expected.

A much bigger change than musical quality, however, was the soundstage. I had already been marveling at how much more open the soundstage is in the RF-7s compared to my previous RF-35s (which themselves are excellent speakers). Upon hooking up the Carver amp, the soundstage expanded a lot. I was floored. At one point I popped in a new SACD, and it took me 5 songs to notice that it was a stereo recording...I'd assumed it was multi-track because of how expansive the sound was. THAT is a worthwhile upgrade!

The Carver sounds very detailed, but to my ears not harsh at all. In part I'm sure this is because the rf-7s are themselves extremely smooth compared to the smaller-horned -35s I was used to. I have already spent many, many hours listening to them (many of them sequential) without any listening fatigue.

I hope this brief review is of interest to some!

Scott