For home theater, would you choose B&K, Krell, or McIntosh gear...

kenratboy

...does one excel in the HT department? Context is a dealer setting.

B&K seems to make GREAT gear at great prices ($3300 for their 7.1 receiver, for example)

Krell makes good stuff, and their name sells. Very $pendy.

McIntosh is awesome, but VERY expensive and the 'hip' crowd might not like the looks (I LOVE it)

Ken,

In the price range that you are interested in, separates tend to rule. Krell makes excellent amps, but seem to lack the ability to compete with processors. B&K is the best bang for the buck on your list. The problems with their processors seem to be fixed in the s2 version.

McIntosh amps are very good, but they are followers on processors.

A good deal on a B&K receiver needs to be tempered by the fact that major changes are headed our way over the next year or two.

Bill

I hate to veer outside of the parameters of your question, but Anthem makes some terrific HT gear... I 've owned an AVM20 Processor for a couple of years, and its features are easy to use and allow for a variety of tweaking, including a room resonance filter to even out bass response, and the ability to choose separate crossover points for mains, center, and surrounds. I have found that this allows my Klipsch speakers to open up and create a larger sound than with the standard 80 Hz THX spec.

Anthem offers firmware updates on their website; just download, hook into the unit, and follow the instructions.

Just as when I was 2.1 channel-only, a separates system is sonically superior to a receiver-based system in HT, and allows for upgrading the processor section separate from the amplifier(s). This has been invaluable for me, as I was very disappointed in the sound quality with the Rotel 1095 5-channel amp I bought a couple of years ago, and opted to go back to something I knew was tremendous when paired with Klipsch - the McCormack DNA-series amps.

If you really have some cash to spend, Athem makes a "Statement" series, which has been very favorably reviewed, and which seems comparable to Lexicon... there is a Statement amplifier that features insane amounts of power (obviously not a necessity with our Klipsch speakers); but I have been a proponent of the notion for some time now that the Heritage cousins of Chorus, Forte, and Quartet love high-quality high-powered SS... the high quality for the sensitive horns, and the high power to allow those woofers to move enough air to give a good slam.

HT separates certainly aren't cheap, but it is my main enthusiasm... I work in a building where people buy $1,000 fishing poles, $10,000 rifles, $30,000 fishing boats.

Bigger toys...

BTW, I've heard McIntosh with Klipsch at a local HT shop... very nice, and you're right about the styling; it's love or hate... but (to my ears) my McCormack has it beat with immediacy and naturalness of the soundstage.

I demo'd a full blown MAC set up a couple weeks ago. The MX-135/MC206 combo. They had an MC 207 but no room to set it up. If money wer no objecct then I would hands down go with the MAC. That combo put for such an incredible smooth effortless sound! Now the cost for the rig was a little over $9K but wow. IMO it tops any Parasound/HALO and pretty much anything else I've heard. I have not been able to demo Krell, no dealers in my area.

----------------

On 5/18/2005 10:34:40 AM J.4knee wrote:

I demo'd a full blown MAC set up a couple weeks ago. The MX-135/MC206 combo. They had an MC 207 but no room to set it up. If money wer no objecct then I would hands down go with the MAC. That combo put for such an incredible smooth effortless sound! Now the cost for the rig was a little over $9K but wow. IMO it tops any Parasound/HALO and pretty much anything else I've heard. I have not been able to demo Krell, no dealers in my area.

----------------

Wow Jim, are you serious? I got Halo stuff, but it sounds to me like I might have to demo some Mac gear now!

I'm a big Parasound HALO fan as all of you know but I have to admit the McIntosh is sweat! Personally I've been a MAC fan for several years the sad thing is my wallet has limitations.

HOWEVER if I were going to "upgrade", money not being a factor, I would give HALCRO They had a very impressive introduction to the HT market at CES and thier 2 channel suite at the Alexis Park was one of the best (the Wilson Watt Puppy's did not hurt either...).

Others on the short list include: , CLASSE, MERIDIAN (processor only), LEXICON (processor only), SPECTRAL (amp only) and PS AUDIO (amp only, new "gain cell" rigs) a real listen for sure.

Regards,

Mike

----------------

On 5/18/2005 8:15:17 PM Shade wrote:

I've got a B&K 200.7 amp hooked up right now. If you like a warmer sound, I would definatley reccomend B&K.

----------------

Same here! I love the sound of that thing with my RF-7s. Very smooth, detailed, and unbelievable dynamics!

I'm partial to McIntosh, but then arn't we all partial to our own gear?

I have the MC206 six channel power amp, but I also have some MC202

two channel power amps in my system. The two channel amps are a big improvement over the multi channel amps. I will probably be selling the MC206 one of these days. I first need to buy more McIntosh two channel amps.

I sampled McIntosh's best, as well as Bryston and Krell. Didn't try B&K.

Krell won hands down, and that's what I purchased. Pricy, yes, definitely. The mcintosh doesn't compare, no way. And Bryston IMO, kicked the crap out of mac.

• Moderators

----------------

On 5/17/2005 9:45:37 PM kenratboy wrote:

...does one excel in the HT department? Context is a dealer setting.

B&K seems to make GREAT gear at great prices ($3300 for their 7.1 receiver, for example)

Krell makes good stuff, and their name sells. Very $pendy.

McIntosh is awesome, but VERY expensive and the 'hip' crowd might not like the looks (I LOVE it)

----------------

The first thing I would want to know is what converters and processor are in the Krell or B&K you are considering. The Mcintosh MX135 has a 24/192 DACS. Also the analog to digital to converter is 24/192 The MX135 is based largely upon the C-45 multi-channel pre-amp that was a runner-up for Stereophile pre/amp of the year. Lastly the MX135 is running the Motorola Aerius chip which is going at 1.2 billion instructions per second. I think that gives it the the most powerful dsp chip of any pre/pro currently on the market. That's the basics in terms of making sure that they compare in their ability to play the software.

However, what's most important is how each sounds with YOUR speakers in YOUR home. I know my Mac dealer will allow me (and I am nobody special) to demo any piece of Mac equipment in my home for a week or so before I decide to purchase it. My understanding is that most Mac dealers are the same way, and that is for good reason: they know if you get it home you are never going to want to bring it back, and you are not going to want anything else.

Travis

Of course what really matters is

QMan -

I don't find Krell to be HARSH on Klipsch speakers....but it is very DETAILED. Krell is smooth (especially if you use both Krell amp and pre - there is synergy there), but super detailed - which adds up to a "bright and smooth" combo that is quite rare.

It's not for everyone, but Krell is the real deal....and can be used on Klipsch. Usually, the term "bright" is a negative term, but with Krell, it's definitely a positive and a strong suit for many.

If you are a fan of more "laid back/mellow" gear and sound, no, Krell is probably not for you. However, others should not discount it until it is heard. While I probably wouldn't do a 2 channel setup with Krell/Klipsch, the HT attributes of Krell are quite impressive.

One other Krell strong point: The bass is INCREDIBLE. Tight, strong, deep, clean, and clear, without seeming overaccentuated. PERFECT for HT. It's VERY addictive.

I use an older Krell HT preamp running through Mac amps in the theater. How's that for splitting the difference?