For those who dred buying new tube fr your amps!!

About 20 years ago a fellow walked into my second hand store carrying a rack mountable chassis containing an array of tubes. It was part of a first generation Univac ca. 1948.

It was not for sale but as he knew that I was a computer freak and a collecter of odd bits and pieces he thought I would find it to be of interest.IIRC he told me that the unit was a single memory bit ( not a byte but a bit ).It would require 8 such units to function as one byte.

Some of those machines had a MTBF of 8 minutes! And I get annoyed when Windows crashes a couple of times a day.

Cooling was a VERY big issue with the early computers. Back in those days the air conditioners were as finicky as the computers. One failure occurred while running with the windows open. After several hours of tracking the problem it was found that a moth had flown in one of the open windows and been smashed in the contacts of a relay. The operator took the mutilated insect and taped it in the logbook. That was the first documented real computer bug!

The term "bug" was in use prior to that to describe unknown problems. The operator thought it was notable that they had found a real bug causing a problem in the system.