Thoughts on Jolida JD100A?

Coytee

Had someone (retailer) offer to sell me a new one for $765 (after shipping). I've read about a different number of modifications that are available on them.

Anyone care to explain the modifications and their cost/benefits?

I've looked up the unit here and seems that if anyone ever has anything to say about it, they only have good things to say. With that, might there be a cd changer that has the same kind of sound? I REALLY prefer a changer so I can slap several disks in while working outside/other and just let it go for a while.

I currently have a Sony (forget the model) but it's one of the all in one, cd, dvd players and I've never much cared for it so I'm open to replacing it or at least, adding a alternative choice to it.

That is a heck of a price on a new JD-100A. I've owned a modded one (www.underwoodhifi.com) for about a year now, and no other CD player is now welcome in my system. I have also heard a stock model, but only on non-Klipsch speakers. From my limited session with the stock player, I noticed that the modded version (at least Underwood's) has an overall smoother sound, larger soundstage, extended frequency response and much tighter bass. The only negative input I have heard concerning the JD100 seemed to be regarding the lack of a frequency response (on the upper end), but I can tell you that I have not had that problem with the modded version (especially with NOS tubes - I use Mullard CV4004s). My modded JD-100A now feeds my Belles, my Cornwalls, and my RF-7s, and the sound is very detailed yet smooth.

From my recollection, Underwood's modded JD-100 is about $1200 plus shipping. The modded version was worth the extra dough, and I would definitely buy another one down the road. I have seen used modded players go for less than that, and in fact, there may still be a forum member selling one.

I am not aware of a changer that can give you a similar-type sound.

Carl.

----------------

On 5/21/2005 9:53:26 AM Coytee wrote:

Would you offer the same opinion if it was bumped up to a cap of $2,000?

If the cap were $2K, would you know of a (minimum 5) changer that would have same/better sound quality?

----------------

Modded version yes, stock - no. I actually prefer the sound of my modded one (with vintage Mullards) to some other tubed and traditional CD players costing over $2000.

I cannot tell you how a modded 100 compares to a Shanling since I have not heard a Shanling.

Just one man's ears and his opinion.

Carl.

Ahhh......my Peach. Truly love this preamp - had it a little over a year. Amazing sound. I now have mine running both my Belles and my RF-7s, which are either run by the Peach or my Classe processor (when using the RF-7s as true surrounds in a 5.1). The sound, the pricepoint and its versatility (especially the HT bypass) make it a wonderful preamp.

Carl.

Have one that I really love, it is stock except the stock tubes were replaced with RFT 12AX7 Cryo Tubes. At this point I'm very pleased with its sound, so no changes are on the horizion. I found a motivated seller and paid $700 for mine. I recall splitting the shipment cost with my seller.

The price you quote is not bad. You can always ask if the seller has a little more wiggle room on price, or maybe split shipment costs.

Good luck.

Wes

I would be a little skeptical about these players, the prices seem to be coming down recently, Im not really sure why this is. I wonder if people have been having trouble with them? When I was in the market for a new cd player I listened to this player and was impressed it was very good for the money. I ultimately ended up with the Ah! Super Tjoeb w/upsampler/NOS Seimens 7308 which I got second hand for a really good price from a friend who was upgrading to a SACD player. I think the two are very close with a slight nod in sound quality going to the Ah! Tjoeb and slight edge in build quality going to the Jolida. A few others you may want to check out besided these two are

Rega Planet

Arcam cd73

Naim CD5i

All very good players and worth a listen

While some have reported problems with Jolida amps, I have not heard of any problems with the Jolida CDP. This may be due, in part, to the fact that they utilize a pretty reliable transport mechanism. Logged many hours with mine over the last year with no problems.

On the other hand, of the list Circle mentioned, some older Regas have been known to have isolation problems. I own one such beast; it was relegated to office duty.

If you end up purchasing a stock Jolida, replace the tubes before you listen to it. Otherwise, you may be disappointed. The tubes they ship with the stock units are garbage.

Carl.

----------------

On 5/23/2005 5:02:58 PM cjgeraci wrote:

If you end up purchasing a stock Jolida, replace the tubes before you listen to it. Otherwise, you may be disappointed. The tubes they ship with the stock units are garbage.

Carl.

The above can be said about a Heart 6000. I bought mine in Sept/03 and have not had a problem at all. I think I paid $799 and another $255 for a pair of tubes.

Danny