psg has Klipschorns in Rimouski!

psg

On 5/27/2005 9:13:45 PM Painful Reality wrote:

On 5/27/2005 10:53:02 AM formica wrote:

How would describe the differences between the original Klipshcorn AA crossovers and your modified ones?

How about "night and day"?

But the comparison was a bit unfair. I went from a Type AA with caps that were shot to a Type A with good caps.

Ouch. Maybe I should do this sooner than later! But they sound so good now! How can they get better?

Then there's the CD player, then the amp... Oh my.

I wish I had heard Jeff's KHorns on his tubes before they were gone... Now I'll never know. Or maybe that's a good thing!

2.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/27/2005 9:13:45 PM Painful Reality wrote:

How about "night and day"?....

... Declare a $700-800 CDN value at the border.

----------------

thanks Jeff... and will do...

----------------

On 5/27/2005 11:34:17 PM psg wrote:

Ouch. Maybe I should do this sooner than later! But they sound so good now! How can they get better?

Then there's the CD player, then the amp... Oh my.

----------------

That's all part of the $?#!"/% slope I was referring to. 2.gif Like you said... " But they sound so good " ... wellll.... sit back and enjoy them a bit. Then take it one step at the time... you'll appreciate each change more.

I actually did a blind A/B CD comparison... and there are differences, but i'd describe them as nuances...

Rob

"I'm the first one to admit that full range drivers come with their load of problems but I have less difficulties to live with the sins of a full range driver than the sins of a crossover point right in the midrange."

Problematic for sure. There's no free lunch and it really just comes down to deciding what one is willing to live with. Same with amplifiers, which is why I now avoid those debates like the plague. Still, if one generally enjoys the sound of a multiway design, I don't know of a better way to go than a squawker that covers four full octaves (a little less for the Cornwall). Comparisons can kill some of the joy with this hobby too, and for me at least, it's much more enjoyable when I relax, and appreciate something for what it does well, as opposed to concenctrating on it's shortcomings.

----------------

On 5/28/2005 9:17:20 AM DeanG wrote:

Problematic for sure. There's no free lunch and it really just comes down to deciding what one is willing to live with. Same with amplifiers, which is why I now avoid those debates like the plague.

----------------

Exactly.

Man, a day and a half and this thread was clear off the 1st page!

psg -- I wouldn't wait too long. You may think it sounds good, but you have no idea how much in the music you're missing. The picture below is of some cans pulled off of a 70's era set of AA's I just got done redoing. I'm sure you can see the oil on the board. I believe your LaScalas are 73's, and your K-horns are 78's, and I'm sure all of the capacitors have gone beyond their life cycle.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=37149&

post-3205-1381926611596_thumb.jpg

The customer wanted me to "check them out" and just replace the caps, but the boards and general condition of everything on them was in such bad shape, I decided to just pitch the boards and start over. The inductor and T2A were well on their way to being rust buckets, and I wasn't even sure if the terminal strips were worth saving. Thankfully, a lot can be accomplished with a brass brush and steel wool.

download.asp?mode=download&fileID=37150&

post-3205-1381926611645_thumb.jpg

Nice work Dean!

I need to do a good visual inspection on mine... All 4 of them.

Just finished watching "The Incredibles" again with the family. Great movie, great LFE. But having timbre-matching across the rear, with the La Scala there, made a HUGE difference that I didn't expect. This was the first 5.1 movie I've watched since the KHorns. There are lots of sounds panning from left to right, front to back and corner to corner. I hadn't noticed what I was missing when my rear speakers weren't matched... The immersion is much more convincing! Great stuff!

That IS a great movie, it's a riot.

Kudret, the resistor is the simple way to run the squawker off the #3 tap without having the crossover point shift. The second way is to reduce the value of the primary cap by half (13uF to 6.5uF). The third way is Al's way, and is the way I really prefer, and that is to swamp the autoformer, and design the whole network for 8 ohms. However, it's more expensive to do it that way since the squawker cap value goes up by almost a factor of four. Also, at that point, it's just best to get away from the AA altogether, and run a corrected third order tweeter leg. The customer only wanted to attenuate the squawker, not the tweeter, so no mod for the K77.

----------------

On 5/29/2005 9:41:17 PM DeanG wrote:

This is probably a good way to go for someone who likes the sound of the AA, but wants a more refined sound. Think of it as a mini-ALK.
:)

----------------

Cool! How much does it cost to build? 2.gif

This is an update on my setup... I tried the KHorns on the 11' wall to make my wife happy. They sound technically correct, but don't come out to grab you at all. The sounsatge is far away, almost behind the wall, and tiny. It's like listening to bookshelf speakers very far away. No soul. They stayed on that wall for exactly 24 hours before going back 18 or 19' apart. 1.gif

About $225 in parts if you use the parts I listed in the schematic. You can knock off another $50 if you drop the tweeter protection (zener diodes), and go with Solen Fastcaps in the HF circuit instead of the film and foils I use.