psg has Klipschorns in Rimouski!

psg

I got them last weekend. Left Friday afternoon and got back on Sunday for a total 18-hour drive. I got a friend to help me get them downstair on Monday. They are 1978 WO Klipschorns, bought from the original owner in the Adirondacks, NY. Being Canadian meant an extra 15% tax at the border, which wasn't very pleasant (but I won't care at all in 20 years when I'll still have the speakers)

They are a lot bigger than I remembered them from 25 years ago! They do disappear in terms of square footage after you push them into corners, but the front facade is still enormous. Like having two huge monoliths in the room. The pictures do not do their size justice.

My initial impression was that they sounded very similar to my La Scala's and sub duo, only they don't need a sub at all. Unfortunately, I could not initially recreate the imaging I get with the La Scala's. The sound was coming from everywhere, the singer was coming from both speakers and wasn't imaging in the center at all. Then I decided to flip the phase of one speaker and BAM, the imaging was back! Strangely, I quickly checked my wiring and couldn't find any inverted cable. There's the AVIA Home Theater calibration DVD that I can borrow from a friend to see whether it is inverted of not, but it's staying like that anyway because that's what sounds good.

On 5.1 content like Diana Krall's Live from paris DVD, having those up front with La Scala'a in the rear is FANTASTIC. The piano is spread over all channels and the sound is incredible, much better than with unmatched speakers in the rear (more so than I would have thought; it allows 3D soundstaging). The drums (on track 7) are clear, dynamic, effortless, crisp and nothing boomy; those sounds come from the Klipschorns (not the sub). They sounded very good on the La Scala and sub duo, but now it's so good I melt listening to it.

The Klipschorns don't sound quite as loud as the LS even with the same SPL level. They are smoother and a bit less forward and you can push up the volume before overloading your ears and senses. They are a step up from the LS.

Am I happy? You bet! Picture follows in next post.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote:

Here's the right side of my HT, with 1978 Walnut Oil (WO) Klipschorn in front, La Scala in the rear and a Hsu STF-3 (which now looks small!)

And of course the single Heresy I got from Rex Edward last fall. It's in a temporary location on top of the TV until I decide for sure how the room will be oriented. Then it's going to be wall-mounted.

The whole package sounds incredible!

Congrats Peter! It's great to be surrounded by Heritage, isn't it? I'm jealous that you could fit the big beasts in your room. Bet the air pressure really jumps in there when you crank it up.

Your travel show your love for Klipsch- keep up the good work!

Michael

On 5/24/2005 9:18:48 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

great ..!

enjoy the move to the K-Horns ..

you probably won't miss the LaScala's piercing your eardrums ......
9.gif

At reasonable levels at which a singer's voice sounds real (say around 90 to 95 dB for jazz and 105 dB for rock), I didn't think the La Scala sounded harsh. In fact, my initial impression was that the khorns didn't sound that different from La Scala's and a sub. The difference is in the details, and in the (richer, crisper, detailed, quick) bass. At least for me...

Looking at the size of your room, and the size of your speakers, I can easily come to a conclusion, you are NOT a Klipschophile. You are a Klipschofreak! I would dare say you are nearfield to every speaker, and it is one of the most "Oh My Gosh", setups I have seen. You have done us all proud! Awesome home theater. You may swagger when you walk while wearing a Klipsch T-shirt. Other men dream about what you have, you are packing some big gear there...2.gif

Thanks Michael!

I owned the La Scala's for about 5 years, so I'm sure the Khorns will be around for a long time to come! Now I'll have 4 crossovers to update instead of a pair! 1.gif

The room is not big. The room is only 11 feet on the shown axis, and I space the KHorns 18 feet apart. I sit with them directly aiming at me. I will try them on the 11-foot wall to make my wife happy (that we tried) and may try orienting the top bin out from 45 degree also when I do that. But the sound is so sweet now that I can't image changing it for good.

michael hurd wrote:

Nice! Just an additional thought on the inverted phase on one channel... it could be possible that the wiring at the crossover was inverted some time previous to you.

Good point... It sure is weird. I have to get that AVIA DVD to test it out...

On 5/24/2005 9:32:00 PM Spkrdctr wrote:

Looking at the size of your room, and the size of your speakers, I can easily come to a conclusion, you are NOT a Klipschophile. You are a Klipschofreak! I would dare say you are nearfield to every speaker, and it is one of the most "Oh My Gosh", setups I have seen. You have done us all proud! Awesome home theater. You may swagger when you walk while wearing a Klipsch T-shirt. Other men dream about what you have, you are packing some big gear there...
2.gif

Well, gosh golly gee... Thanks! Yeah... I'm happy with it. I saw and heard the KHorns in a store about 25 years ago when I got my La Scala's (used) and they were always the Holy Grail of speakers for me. Now I have a pair!

The room is just in the right side of big enough. Trust me, it works!

On 5/24/2005 9:33:33 PM Seadog wrote:

Awesome set up! Congrats on the Khorn procurement. Now if you can find a vertical Corn for your center speaker ........
3.gif

If told my wife that, she'd kill me right about now. But you are right of course!

When I upgrade to HDTV in a few more years, the TV probably won't sit as high as that 4x3 RPTV and I'll have more room for a vertical Corn. That would be the ultimate. Either that or a single LS. 3.gif

The LaScala gets a bad rap and it's really just because it's a little out of balance. Unless you can jam it into a cubby to bring up the bottom, the top just dominates. You turn it up to get some bass, and next thing you know you have a headache. Like you said, LaScalas with a sub sound a lot like K-horns, and that makes perfect sense. The best thing you can do with a pair of LaScalas that are sitting out in the open with no corner reinforcement or subwoofer, is to give up some sensitivity and drop to taps 4 and 3 like the Cornwall. Besides, there ain't no way that bass bin does 104db/w anyways -- unless it's right at 100Hz.

Thanks Dean, that's great advice. Maybe I should do that myself on mine that I'm using as surrounds. So that will just take the top a bit down? No need for added caps and resistance anywhere on the network?

BTW, I forgot my thanks in my initial post! I'd really like to thank Charles "Frzninvt" for all the advice and encouragement. Sometimes you just need someone who knows the choices you face to add a few words of wisdom and it makes it all much less of a gamble. We must have exchanged a few dozen emails about the KHorns. Thanks Charles!