psg has Klipschorns in Rimouski!

psg

----------------

On 5/26/2005 11:58:59 AM psg wrote:

Hey, that's great! No border fees! Thanks Jeff!

BTW, what do you recommend? I recall that the caps were updated in your KHorns but I don't know if you were the one to do that or if you got them like that...

----------------

I recommend buying a pair of Lamhorns 1.8 to avoid f*cking around with f*cking passive crossovers!!!

But to answer your question, the caps I used when I modified my Type AA to a Type A were the GE oils that Bob Crites is selling. They're OK. I order some more for my Cornwalls crossovers. I'd like to try the Jensen copper in oil but these are a bit to costly for an experiment.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recommend buying a pair of Lamhorns 1.8 to avoid f*cking around with f*cking passive crossovers!!!

rotflol. No doubt. Hey, they are "filters" after all right? As far as I'm concerned, in the end they just end up being tone controls. It's just like the amps -- a bit of this, a bit of that, and viola -- a sound you can live with!

So, our little Cornwall network experiment didn't work for you? Too recessed through the middle?

On 5/26/2005 5:00:20 PM edwinr wrote:

Nice score, PSG.

Thanks! I'm really enjoying my CDs. Imaging is rock solid and "works" when seated over a bigger area than I could with my La Scala. I'm really happy about 'em. Oiled them for the first today so now they look even better.

Dean meant "voila."

I took a semester of French and 3 years of Latin in high school...not that I can recall much more then the above, mind you - lol.

Parrot, on the other hand, must be an educated bird of sorts...he picked it out right away.

SQUAWK!!!

lol

3.gif

-H2G

----------------

On 5/26/2005 4:51:48 PM DeanG wrote:

So, our little Cornwall network experiment didn't work for you? Too recessed through the middle?

----------------

Jury's not out yet on this one.

Before I did condition the caps I was a bit lukewarm. After conditioning there was a huge improvement.

I did order some "fresh" oil cap to build a Type B to compare with the crossover circuit you sent me.

My main beef with the Type B or any other variant I've tried so far is the unbalance between the woofer and the squawker/tweeter. I have the K-55-P with Alnico magnet and it's possible that it did demagnetize having a lower output than it should be. Who knows.

----------------

On 5/25/2005 7:37:15 PM LarryC wrote:

They look like anti-resonance dots; I have Marigo dots that look just like that, only I hid them around on the sides. They really do stick on, and I'd be afraid to pry them off of a finish, too. If he was into them that much, he may also have put them on the sides, so I suggest you look there, and see if one will peel off, but do it verrrry slowly.

Larry

----------------

"...Marigo's VTS Tuning Dots have been one of the most effective and dramatic steps I have taken to improve my system's performance. The improvements were not sublte. They brought great transparency without losing musicality. Clarity, dynamics, inner detail, midrange bloom, bass slam and articulation have such an improved sense of openness that they represent a major paradigm shift in resonance control."

David Clark, Positive Feedback, exerpt from online review, issue one "

From David's write up I would have guessed that he ate the dots before listening. Can't believe someone would pay 80.00 for plastic stickers. My guess his favorite part after attaching the dots and giving his review was a large wire transfer into his bank account.

Congratulations on the Khorns. 1.gif

----------------

On 5/26/2005 10:34:24 PM jacksonbart wrote:

From David's write up I would have guessed that he ate the dots before listening.

----------------

Reminds me of the most transcendant game of foosball in my life.

Jeff, I'd let you borrow my Jensen As, but I don't think they'd help.

psg, nice move on the Khorns. I've got a compromised room, too, but they are plenty good where it counts. I think if I had them in a perfect "Golden Ratio" room, then moved them in here, I'd probably sell them for RFs or something crazy to avoid the disappointment, but this is as good as I've had the privelege of living with, so I'm a happy guy, too.

"...Marigo's VTS Tuning Dots have been one of the most effective and dramatic steps I have taken to improve my system's performance. The improvements were not sublte. They brought great transparency without losing musicality. Clarity, dynamics, inner detail, midrange bloom, bass slam and articulation have such an improved sense of openness that they represent a major paradigm shift in resonance control."

—David Clark, Positive Feedback, exerpt from online review, issue one "

Darn, now I won't be willing to take 'em off for fear that's what is making them sound good!

2.gif

psg, nice move on the Khorns. I've got a compromised room, too, but they are plenty good where it counts. I think if I had them in a perfect "Golden Ratio" room, then moved them in here, I'd probably sell them for RFs or something crazy to avoid the disappointment, but this is as good as I've had the privelege of living with, so I'm a happy guy, too.

Actually, I've been listenning to a bunch of CDs I haven't played in years, and none of them have ever sounded this good. It's surreal. Every recording images well. The bass is so low who needs a sub anymore for music (mine is limited to 40 Hz and below with the KHorn set to large and the sub set to LFE+L/R, but sometimes I just turn it off), you can feel the plucking of the string on the bass guitar and it images completely. These speakers are simply amazing! Much better than I would have thought. And this with 27 year-old crossovers.

So my room isn't perfect, but I've never heard better sound in my life regardless!

3.gif

Peter... in what vehicle did you transport your khorns in? I was looking around for a rental truck for the same purpose, and I've been told that they won't fit in a Blazer (which my brother has)... but should be fine in a mini-van.

----------------

On 5/26/2005 4:12:25 PM Painful Reality wrote:

... the caps I used when I modified my Type AA to a Type A were the GE oils that Bob Crites is selling. They're OK. I order some more for my Cornwalls crossovers. I'd like to try the Jensen copper in oil but these are a bit to costly for an experiment.

----------------

How would describe the differences between the original Klipshcorn AA crossovers and your modified ones?

Rob

----------------

On 5/27/2005 10:53:02 AM formica wrote:

Peter... in what vehicle did you transport your khorns in? I was looking around for a rental truck for the same purpose, and I've been told that they won't fit in a Blazer (which my brother has)... but should be fine in a mini-van.

I own a Mazda MPV. The bass bins clear the ceilings by just a few inches as I recall, but they fit in easily through the hatch. Driving down to get Chris'? Expect to buy 15% tax at the border 7.gif

On 5/26/2005 4:12:25 PM Painful Reality wrote:

... the caps I used when I modified my Type AA to a Type A were the GE oils that Bob Crites is selling. They're OK. I order some more for my Cornwalls crossovers. I'd like to try the Jensen copper in oil but these are a bit to costly for an experiment.

How would describe the differences between the original Klipshcorn AA crossovers and your modified ones?

Rob

Yeah Jeff, please tell us!

I'm now thinking I might only replace the caps in my KHorns and leave the La scala's alone. Then next year I can buy a new set of crossovers from Bob or Dean and put the old-but-updated KHorn crossovers in the La Scala's at that point. Otherwise my wife will be asking questions next year ("didn't you just fix those up?"). 2.gif

----------------

On 5/27/2005 11:52:56 AM psg wrote:

Driving down to get Chris'? Expect to buy 15% tax at the border
7.gif

----------------

I'm scheduled for mid June... the Quebec Klipshorn count is actually on the rise. They have Jeff's crossover's in them. I was planning on declaring them (and paying some taxes) but I think I could claim them at a lower value. In any case, I can't wait....

----------------

I'm now thinking I might only replace the caps in my KHorns and leave the La scala's alone.

----------------

Taking it a step at the time is a good idea... it'll give you time to get used to their sound and appreciate any additional upgrade more. It'll also give you something to upgrade to... ahh... what a slippery slope...

Rob

I'm scheduled for mid June... the Quebec Klipshorn count is actually on the rise. They have Jeff's crossover's in them. I was planning on declaring them (and paying some taxes) but I think I could claim them at a lower value. In any case, I can't wait....

Well, at least you already have some KHorns! 1.gif

I was really upset when I had to pay taxes. My pair ended up costing a lot more than I initially thought, and more than most members score. But you know, it only really matters if they hadn't worked out I wanted to sell them. As it is, they will still be mine in 20 years. The amount they cost already doesn't concern me that much; they sound much better than I thought possible.

I'm now thinking I might only replace the caps in my KHorns and leave the La scala's alone.

Taking it a step at the time is a good idea... it'll give you time to get used to their sound and appreciate any additional upgrade more. It'll also give you something to upgrade to... ahh... what a slippery slope...

Rob

Thanks for the re-enforcement! Yeah, what a hobby. And I'm using source gear that most forum members would cringe at (a 5 year-old Pioneer DV-333 DVD player and an h/k avr-325 receiver). I'd love for someone to bring their CD player to my place and show me a huge difference in sound. Right now it's so good I can hardly believe it gets better!

----------------

On 5/27/2005 10:53:02 AM formica wrote:

Rob

----------------

How about "night and day"?

But the comparison was a bit unfair. I went from a Type AA with caps that were shot to a Type A with good caps.

I've spent to much time with full range drivers based enclosure to be able to

listen to a crossover without cringing. I'm the first one to admit that full range drivers come with their load of problems but I have less difficulties to live with the sins of a full range driver than the sins of a crossover point right in the midrange.

----------------

On 5/27/2005 12:34:54 PM formica wrote:

----------------

Declare a $700-800 CDN value at the border.

----------------

On 5/27/2005 9:20:46 PM Painful Reality wrote:

----------------

On 5/27/2005 12:34:54 PM formica wrote:

----------------

Declare a $700-800 CDN value at the border.

----------------

I should have done that and saved C$300...

Oh well. Too late now. It's done.