psg has Klipschorns in Rimouski!

psg

Well, mine are smaller than those... But yeah, that's basically what they are. I wish they weren't there. Guess I'll try to remove them and if I hurt the finish I'll put them back on...

The speakers would look nicer without them!

1.gif

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/25/2005 5:23:51 PM Kudret wrote:

Rob, sorry... I couldn't get back to you about the tubes. I didn't forget about them,

just didn't have any time.

----------------

No problem they are already decades old... 2.gif

----------------

On 5/25/2005 7:17:14 PM psg wrote:

The original owner was into tweaks ... and he said they were meant to help prevent vibration and they would come off if I wanted. I don't believe that for a second (that it woould work)

----------------

Otherwise I have a box full of green markers that I'd be looking to unload... 11.gif9.gif

Rob

:-)

Go to bed Rob! I know I am after this post...

My next door neighbour is into building speakers and making his own crossovers, and tweaking it over and over. Sound like fun but I don't have the patience or wood-working skills for it. Anyway, he's the one I borrowed the AVIA calbration DVD from. I mentionned I bought KHorns and will want to upgrade the crossovers. He immediately said I should tell him what caps are on there and that he has an account at Solen and he can order replacements for me. Good idea? Anything else to replace?

I looked and it's looks like 2x 2uF and 1x 13uF per crossover, times 4 crossovers. Or are the 2x 2uF really a 4 uF? I didn't look closely enough at the wiring to tell...

This would be the cheaper thing to do instead of shipping across the border to Bob or Dean, and I've got four now so it might be worth it...

Peter, There are only two crossovers and for the 2uF caps and there might be better alternatives than Solens.

I am seriously thinking about Dean's DHAXovers. Bob's type AA (switchable to A) also seems attaractive - you get to try both types and decide which one you like best.

Kudret

On 5/26/2005 4:20:44 AM Kudret wrote:

Peter, There are only two crossovers

Check my signature line again... The La Scala are older than my KHorns.

and for the 2uF caps and there might be better alternatives than Solens.

I'm open to suggestions!

I am seriously thinking about Dean's DHAXovers. Bob's type AA (switchable to A) also seems attaractive - you get to try both types and decide which one you like best.

Kudret

I was going to eventually get Bob's A/AA for my La Scalas, but now with 2 more crossovers to update I want to explode cheaper options as well.

----------------

On 5/25/2005 8:30:05 PM psg wrote:

Well, mine are smaller than those... But yeah, that's basically what they are. I wish they weren't there. Guess I'll try to remove them and if I hurt the finish I'll put them back on...

The speakers would look nicer without them!

----------------

Congratulations on your Klipschorns.

To remove items with adhesive backs off delicate surfaces, I use a handheld hair dryer. Make sure move the dryer back and forth across the surface to prevent heat damage. A medium heat setting is the safest, but will lengthen the time it takes to soften the adhesive. I do this to remove labels & decals form vehicle surfaces, furniture, LP's and other delicate surfaces.

Wes

LOL

I'm beginning to 'explode' cheaper options again too. I'd finally decided I didn't hear enough differences between moderate to high priced parts to concern myself with it anymore -- only to throw in a CD I hadn't played in a while to find I heard big differences. It's always said to use music we are very familiar with to make our comparisons between things, but now I'm beginning to think that the familiarity induces some kind of psychoacoustics related masking effect. Almost like the more I like the music, or the more I know it, the less I'm "paying attention" to any differences there might be. So, I started using music I didn't particularly care for, or things I hadn't listened to in a year or more, and the subtle differences didn't seem so subtle anymore. In a month's time I've gone from "I don't think it matters much", all the way back to where I started, "It matters a lot." I think in my case part of this effect might be related to the amount of time I've spent doing these cap/network comparisons, and the fact that I'm feeling a little burned out. When I resorted to using pink noise the other night in my listening tests, I decided it was time for a break if I wanted to avoid the looney bin.

LOL and Ouch!

So Dean, if not Solen, what is recommended? And are the caps the only three parts I need to worry about?

None of this excludes a latter crossover upgrade, specially if I hear differences after such a part swap. It's just that I've now expended my "fun" cash for this year...

PSG here is more info on the riser for the La Scala of course now that the La Scalas are not the main speakers it may not be worth trying but if anyone else with La SCalas try it. The riser is just a 2 foot by 2 foot section made of 2 x 4s and whatever thickness of plywood and then slide it under the speaker. If you want the speaker higher add more sections of 2 'x 2' plywood. That way you can adjust the hight to the best sound. Before the riser the tweeter was at my chin level and the mid horn was at my upper chest while sitting on my couch. Now with the riser the tweeter is just above my eye level and the mid horn is centered on my ear level. This really helped with some of the harshness people say La Scalas have since the tweeter is closest to your ears and the bass bin is at your leg level the sound field is lower. If you have a room that lets you put your chair back 15-20 feet you would probably not need this mod. But I'm 10 feet away so it helps alot!! I have 2 70 pound sand bags under the rug(need to find a better rug). Not sure of the height of the Cornwalls but this might work also if you sit close to them. Congrats on the KHOrns!! I'm sure when I get into a bigger house the upgrade bug will strike and I'll find me a pair of KHorns. Enjoy!!

Xman

post-13699-13819266115452_thumb.jpg

On 5/26/2005 11:03:40 AM 3dzapper wrote:

Peter, If it were me, I'd go with Solen for the 13uFs and auricap or Hoveland for the 2uFs from:

Thanks Rick!

So...

Solen fast capacitor (13.0 mfd, 250V, PA1300) for C$4.95 from solen.ca

or

Solon fast capacitor (13.0 mfd, 400V, PB1300) for C$5.52 from solen.ca

or (same thing)

Solen 62368 (13.0 mfd, 400V, PB1300) for US$5.25 from www.partsconnexion.com

and, from www.partsconnexion.com:

Hovland 51707 (2.0 mfd, 100V, Speaker, 0.70" D x 2.25" L) US$22.83 each.

or

Auricap 62338 (2.0 mfd, 200V, .78"D x .90"L) US$9.95 each.

Sounds like I could update all 4 crossovers for US$100 (plus shipping, plus Canadian taxes and brokerage fees). I'd bet the brokerage fees and taxes would double the price, unless shipped by simple post. Any Canadian sources for Auricap or Hovland caps?

Hey, that's great! No border fees! Thanks Jeff!

BTW, what do you recommend? I recall that the caps were updated in your KHorns but I don't know if you were the one to do that or if you got them like that...

Of "coarse" ole Dean'll have other recommendations.

You've obviously confused me with that other guy, the one who can't spell worth a crap.:)

When the budget is tight, it doesn't matter what you use. The important thing is just getting something, anything in there to replace the worn out cans.

----------------

On 5/26/2005 10:38:53 AM DeanG wrote:

I think in my case part of this effect might be related to the amount of time I've spent doing these cap/network comparisons, and the fact that I'm feeling a little burned out. When I resorted to using pink noise the other night in my listening tests, I decided it was time for a break if I wanted to avoid the looney bin.

----------------

It's not as crazy as you think... I find pink noise is very revealing to subdue sonic changes. It won't give you a feeling if you prefer one over another... but you can hear the differences and their character (when present).

Maybe "I'm" ready for the looney bin?

Rob