psg has Klipschorns in Rimouski!

psg

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/25/2005 9:32:00 AM psg wrote:

HA! I knew you were going to get some of those bad babies!

Enjoy!

Woo

p.s. the setup looks great!

1.gif

Thanks!

Not that I can afford it, but how much of a difference did you get going to ALKs?

3.gif

----------------

Well, I had ~30 year old AA's that came with the '76 Khorns, and they sounded fantastic to me. The ALK's presented themselves for sale, I had the 'play*' money and the 'tweak' disease at the same time, so I bought 'em figuring I could get most, if not all my money back if I didn't like 'em.

The sound? Good! To me, talking about sound is like dancing about architecture... difficult to do, especially since I'm not a good dancer.

But... the ALK's seemed to 'tame' the forwardness of the squawker. Sibilant sounds (ssssss, for instance) are a bit 'cleaner'. Applause of live performances doesn't have me running for the volume control.

Plus, they look really cool! (shame to hide them, really)9.gif

I've been meaning to rebuild the AA's to compare, but I'm really happy with the sound I'm hearing, and my afternoons and evenings have been spent on bicycle rides, taiji practice, and listening to music instead of painting/cleaning/raking/trimming/fixing/soldering/refinishing/etc.

priorities, ya know? 3.gif

Forrest

*my 'play' money consists of that cash that in the past I would have spent on various substances which I choose not to indulge in these days... tobacco, reefer, fast food, etc. I use this cash without guilt to buy a different kind of pleasure these days. 10.gif

... right now a 299-B is on its way!

can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait....

----------------

On 5/25/2005 11:30:49 AM DeanG wrote:

Woodog, what taps are you using for the squawker on the ALKs?

----------------

I don't remember, but 3DZapper helped me out over the phone getting them just right. I'll check 'em tonight and let you know. Might be a good time to play around with the settings again.

BS, about the 'Corn' test... oh yeah... I've thought of that for sure!

----------------

On 5/25/2005 12:40:36 PM DeanG wrote:

I don't remember, but are you one of the folks that replaced the K-77 with the JBL 2404? Is that why you contacted Rick?

----------------

Nope, not me. Stock '76 except for the crossover.

Forrest

Dean what did you mean by

"The best thing you can do with a pair of LaScalas that are sitting out in the open with no corner reinforcement or subwoofer, is to give up some sensitivity and drop to taps 4 and 3 like the Cornwall"? When I got my La Scalas I made 7 inch risers that I put the LS on, it realy helped smooth out the sound. Mine are close to the corners but not all the way into the corners which helped also. My LS are the 2004 models would I still be able to drop to taps 4 and 3 with the new crossovers?

Xman

Congratulations!! I was surprised you hadn't posted earlier... but I guess you discovered that moving these puppies in, is a two man job. 2.gif

----------------

On 5/24/2005 9:15:16 PM psg wrote:

The Klipschorns don't sound quite as loud as the LS even with the same SPL level. They are smoother and a bit less forward and you can push up the volume before overloading your ears and senses.

----------------

That is actually a very good description of the difference (excluding the bass roll-off). Since you had already realized the fact the LaScalas have very little bass and supplemented them with a sub, you are left mostly with the "smoother balance". I'm not sure where you were crossing over the LaScalas but even 80Hz would have left a depression in the response.

----------------

On 5/24/2005 9:32:54 PM psg wrote:

The room is not big. The room is only 11 feet on the shown axis, and I space the KHorns 18 feet apart. I sit with them directly aiming at me. I will try them on the 11-foot wall to make my wife happy (that we tried) and may try orienting the top bin out from 45 degree also when I do that.

----------------

Did you build a false corner for the other Khorn or is the room actually 18ft? How tall is your ceiling?

With the Khorns taking the front corners... sub placement becomes a challenge. I haven't experimented with mine since getting the big horns either since it was just temporary... but I did prefer it's previous placement (where my K-horn sits).

If you do experiment with reorienting the room, let us know what you think... as I'm curious.

----------------

On 5/25/2005 7:18:22 AM psg wrote:

Thanks Dean, that's great advice. Maybe I should do that myself on mine that I'm using as surrounds. So that will just take the top a bit down? No need for added caps and resistance anywhere on the network?

----------------

Technically you would need to add a resistor to avoid moving the x-over point... but Dean (or Denis or Al...) would be able to fill in the details better than me.

Later...

Rob

Hi Rob!

I would have posted earlier, but I was busy cleaning them, moving them and then listening to them. 2.gif

The room is about 30 feet deep, so I'm only using a section of it. There's a work table on the other side of the left KHorn, and in between I sandwitched a spare Ikea solid-pine table top I had. Here's my always 4-year-old standing in front of it, so you can see my false corner made up with that table.

psg_Klipschorn_Elisabeth.jpg

If the setup stays the way it is, I'll build a wall section about 4 feet deep and the height of the KHorn.

I'm curious about the LS mod; very interesting!

And I'll let you know how they sound on the 11 foot wall. My guess is that imaging will be gone...

Hey Rob, maybe we should find a pair of Vertical Corns we could split in about a year's time?

2.gif Of course, I'd want it to be Walnut Oil now... Is that something that might interest you? Or are you really into getting an LS in the center spot?

post-15702-13819266115036_thumb.jpg

I'm not yet entirely decided on either a LaScala or Cornwall center... but given the Cornwall's sound, I'm figuring a LaScala would be the best match. No factory "WO" LaScalas though... and Belles are pricey (and theoretically different). Custom veneer? ... maybe... 4.gif

I already have a pair of Cornwalls (not verticals) to experiment with when my room is complete. I asked about your ceiling height as my basement isn't tall, not leaving as much as I'd like above a Cornwall (regular) or LaScala (which are about 35-1/2" tall) for a screen.

In any case, next spring sounds like a good timetable so keep me up to date... (unless I see a bargain in the paper before then... ;)

Rob

PS: a Qman centre khorn would also be great... 1.gif but....

I'd have to measure my ceiling height; I don't recall off hand. There's no room above my current 4x3 RPTV for an LS (I tried one sideways and didn't like it when seated off-axis) but HDTV aren't as high. I don't think 11 feet will ever be anough for a projector (although I could cut into the adjoining unfinished basement a little). So maybe an LS could fit later on, but my wife would surely object.

If we catch a deal on a pair WO vertical Corns in our vicinity, we should really consider splitting it! I like my Heresy right now, but I do realise it's the weakest link in my setup.

...A dream setup compared to what I had only 15 months ago; I never would have imagined what path I was on!

3.gif

Hi Peter, Congratulations on your KWO Khorns. What are those four black spots on the bassbin?

I've got mine in a similar room (17' apart in a 17x36 room) and still trying them with diffrent

amps, etc. to see if imaging improves. At the other end of my basement, I have another 2-channel setup with Cornwalls. At this end, I also have my HT with an old NEC LT150 projector. In my HT I use 3 Heresys as front and center speakers. In one of these days I want to try Cornwalls as front and Heresys as center and rear speakers. Well, too many thing, too little time...

Rob, sorry... I couldn't get back to you about the tubes. I didn't forget about them,

just didn't have any time.

Kudret

The original owner was into tweaks. He had speakers cables worth

$800 for 2x10 feet. I asked about those and he said they were meant to

help prevent vibration and they would come off if I wanted. I don't

believe that for a second (that it woould work) unless they are screwed

in; but then they wouldn't come off. I'm hoping they're not there to

hide a scratch or flaw, and I'm affraid to try to remove them without

damaging the finish...

They're not "mint". They only look good.

They look like anti-resonance dots; I have Marigo dots that look just like that, only I hid them around on the sides. They really do stick on, and I'd be afraid to pry them off of a finish, too. If he was into them that much, he may also have put them on the sides, so I suggest you look there, and see if one will peel off, but do it verrrry slowly.

Larry