Power Conditioners, Hype?

Big Ears

I'm getting mixed signals on weather or not I need to fork out an extra $400 bucks for the Monster MPHTS2600? My amp is a Yamaha RX-v2500, speakers all Klipsch Reference. My home is brand new. My power is from the Hoover Damn, if that matters.

Shocked in Sin City

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Believe the hype, maybe not the Monster but some form of power/line conditioner is critial to the well being of your equipment. I live in Florida with many electrical storms and my equipment has been saved many times over with a power center. When you look at what you have spent for your system, a power conditioner is a small price to pay for piece of mind.

Here's my 2 cents...

The answer is yes, but within reason.

In my opinion you needn't pay $400 bucks for a line conditioner, but YES, the varied protection they provide is indeed worthwhile.

One interesting alternative option is to look at some of the computer UPS/line conditioners such as the APC line.

Look particularly at the current limits. They will all provide more then adequate voltage regulation, especially for the low voltage brown-out periods that occur more then the power company will admit. And they also provide sufficient over voltage/spike protection, including lightning and storm surges (probably with included insurance). With a little checking around you can find a unit greater and more varied protection then a basic isolation transformer while spending dramatically less then the Monster version.

Monster's stuff is overpriced, yes. But their products aren't hype. They work. And that's mostly thanks to Richard Marsh behind the scenes.

The only reason we all hate Monster here, is because of their deplorable business practices, courtesty of Noel Lee.

(I'd like to stick a pineapple up his place where the sun don't shine)

Furmans SMP (series mode protection) is not the same SMP that brickwall, Adcom and others have. Furman in fact got sued for advertising SMP as one of their features, and lost. So get your money back if you can! MOVs are a bad idea, even more so if you just spent $200-400 on them.

----------------

On 5/26/2005 12:46:35 AM Amdek wrote:

Furmans SMP (series mode protection) is not the same SMP that brickwall, Adcom and others have. Furman in fact got sued for advertising SMP as one of their features, and lost. So get your money back if you can! MOVs are a bad idea, even more so if you just spent $200-400 on them.

----------------

Actually, from what I could find elsewhere on the internet, it appears SurgeX pulled a Monster and sued for trademark infringement on the label "Series Mode Protection". They have that term "trademarked" all over their site. Sounds like BULL**** to me....

Details (from ce-pro.com)...

12/21/04 - PIPERSVILLE, Pa. -- New Frontier Electronics, Inc. d/b/a SurgeX, is suing Furman Sound of Petaluma, Calif., for alleged false advertising in regards to Furmans Series II line of products. In response, Furman rejects the claim and plans to file a counter claim.

The complaint, filed in U.S. Federal Court in mid-December, is in part for Furmans alleged promotion of MOV-based power conditioning products as "series mode" products. SurgeX, citing the false advertising and promotion prong of Section 43(a) of the Lanham Act, is claiming that the Furman Series II line of products use MOVs (Metal Oxide Varistors) as the main surge suppression technology and that the promotion and marketing of these products as "series mode" is false, deceptive and/or misleading.

When contacted by CE Pro, Furman issued an official response saying, "the words in question, series mode, refer to a common electrical configuration and are not owned by any individual or organization."

The company admits that its Series II line of products employ "series mode" technology. However, Furman says the technology in its Series II units goes beyond typical "series mode" protection, using a package called SMP Plus, which incorporates linear filtering technology (LiFT), extreme voltage shutdown (EVS), MOVs, as well as "series mode" protection (SMP).

And once again, if you examine SurgeX's website, they now have the phrase "Series Mode" trademarked all over the place.

----------------

On 5/26/2005 12:51:48 AM Amdek wrote:

And here is a link about the subject of furmans mis-doing's. Naughty, naughty, naughty...I say.

----------------

Yes, that is exactly why the entire music production industry is running away from Furman. NOT!!!

Every studio I've been to, uses Furman products for their power. I think if their products didn't live up to the expectations, they would never have achieved that kind of success.

I have a 3300 joule surge protector ($25 at Costco) but you guys have got me thinking about getting a power conditioner...a quick question though-

I went to Furman's website and it looks like all of their products are designed to be rack-mounted...I have my stuff on regular shelves...anyone know of one of these products they can recommend that is designed to sit on a regular shelf without looking ridiculous?

thanks!

BV

I don't think a rack mounted unit would look too bad with most A/V equipment in a conventional shelved system. The Furman units are typically short in height (mine is one rack space 1.75 inches) and about the same with as my pre/pro, amps, DVD player, etc. They just have the extra tabs or "ears" to mount directly in a 19 inch rack. I'll see if I can dig up a picture of my rack with Furman in it. Then you can see the other equipment around it. Sure it is in a rack, but I think you can envision it with other shelves or A/V furniture.

Edit - Sorry I don't have a close up. The Furman is the 2nd piece from the top. Blue writing on it. NOTE the width and height. You could just place it on top/bottom of a current piece of equipment you have that does not get too hot.

Edit 2 - Wow, that was a big damn picture...here is smaller one. Let me know if you want the HUGE one back. Great detail, you can see the furman...but kills the thread. Tell ya what. Just cut paste this url into a browser then max the jpg for full size.

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/RPRack.jpg

RPRack2.jpg