Forte

xxufo1xx

Well, I've had my Fortes for a week now(Thanks Kevin)- so I thought I'd better post my impressions thus far. I hooked them up to the ol' HK 430 and sat down for some low level listening. I have a CD of well-recorded favorites - some accoustic, some rock, some metal. Listening to the mellower stuff(Neil Young-Wishbnone Ash),

I wasn't too impressed.My KG4's sounded just as nice.

Queensryche "Empire" comes on and I thought, Let's give it a little volume. WOW ! What a difference ! The louder it got the better it sounded. Went back to the Ash at higher volumes and it's awesome. And all without breaking a sweat. Seemed like the Fortes were begging for more volume ( and more metal !) So I broke out the hard stuff.

Iron Maiden , UFO, heck even Metallica sounded great(that's a stretch) but you get the point. Anyway, I love these speakers - so much that my WO Quartets are officially available.

Bob

9.gif9.gif9.gif9.gif

• Like 1

Greetings,

Interesting comments. I've got kg4's in my small condo and find that they do very well at relatively polite "condo-level" listening levels. On the other hand, I've heard Cornwalls in a big basement and thought they sounded awesome - but thought that they really came into their own only at higher volume levels.

I wonder whether there ever was a conscious decision made at Klipsch to have a series of speakers that sounded their best at lower volume levels and a series that were intended to really perform at realistic volume levels.

BTW - congrats on the Forte purchase!

Take care,

Scott

Sorry for not posting more info on the Quartets.

I do not have a digital camera so no pics. They are WO , very good condition(I'd say excellent but there are some very minor scratches). Consecutive serial #'s. I have the original boxes and packing but I really would rather sell them local. I am in southeast PA. I paid $400 for them in Dec 04 so I would like to get that for them. Also

I would be willing to drive 100 miles or so to meet someone. I think thats about it. They sound great but the Fortes are just incredible.

Thanks - Bob

• Like 1

Quartets sound better if you raise their height to the same as a Forte (they are just too short and the horns are too close to the floor). You can easily see what I mean (or if you agree) setting them up on pavers (ala Home Depot, or such). Once (if) you are convinced, you can build a taller base. I also converted a set into centers (for Forte IIs). I tipped the horns by 90 degrees (new motorboard), replaced the tweeters and crossover to the same as Forte IIs. I am pretty pleased with the results.

• 2 weeks later...

Now do some crossover upgrades and you will be blown away. I did my Fortes about 3 months ago, they are like new speakers with better detail and fuller bass. Yes, fuller bass - something I thought impossible with Forte's. Glad you are enjoying them, they are great!

Chris