Blown tweeter on Forte 1

franczyk

----------------

On 6/4/2005 6:41:30 AM Frzninvt wrote:

Bob Crites (BEC) here on the forum has a choice of replacement diaphrams for the Forte' tweeter. Should be around $30 shipped for the diaphram, it is not too difficult to change out if you have a steady hand.

----------------

A choice of replacement diaphrams? Are you saying I can modify the way my speakers sound by using different diaphrams?

----------------

On 6/4/2005 12:59:01 AM killerbee_vr6 wrote:

How did you blow it? I've pegged my MC452 into my Forte's and they've survived. Clip the amp?

----------------

Im pretty sure it happened when I bumped the preamp cables when switching the inputs (its a Bottlehead Foreplay). One of the cables was loose or has a short in it and I got a good long full power BUZZZZTTT!!! until I figured out what the heck was happening. At the time I had a 90 watt NAD amp attached to them. I noticed the lack of tweet shortly after.

Also, I got the speakers only a few days ago, so Ive been rocking out at insane levels... that may have contributed. I still cant believe how 'live' these speakers sound.

Replace both diaphragms, the newer ones are a bit different.

If you add a #561 or #211-2 automotive dome lightbulb in series with the tweeter it will virtually eliminate failures, JBL (and many other companies) do this in various models.

Use an ohm meter on the dead tweeter, or swap the working tweeter into the dead speaker to make sure the network is OK.

Order a pair of titanium diaphragms (as Frzninvt

suggested) if one is needed.

----------------

On 6/5/2005 5:42:26 PM djk wrote:

Use an ohm meter on the dead tweeter, or swap the working tweeter into the dead speaker to make sure the network is OK.

Order a pair of titanium diaphragms (as Frzninvt

suggested) if one is needed.

----------------

When I swapped the tweeters, the good tweeter played fine in the cabinet that contained the bad tweeter, so the crossover is fine.

The ohm meter reads 26 Megaohms. Is that normal when the diaphram is busted?

----------------

On 6/5/2005 8:19:32 PM BEC wrote:

A reading of around 6 ohms would be good. The 26 meg ohm reading is essentially open and bad.

Bob

----------------

Bad in which way? Does that still mean that the diaphram will fix it? Or does that mean that the tweeter is totally fried?