White Khorns in Harper Woods, MI

DizRotus

Regarding the earlier post, Khorn White Sale in Detroit area

Wes a/k/a Shape Shifter and I just viewed and auditioned the speakers which are the subject of the above thread. The speakers are in excellent operational condition. The white trim that was added by a finish carpenter at the request of the current owners father looks better in the flesh than in the eBay photos in the earlier thread.

Additional photos that should help to establish the present condition of the speakers will be attached in subsequent posts. The status of the speakers is summarized verbally as follows:

The white trim could be easily removed;

The originally unfinished Khorns with cane grilles are intact beneath the added façade;

As the cane grilles were painted white, removing the paint from the cane is probably not feasible;

All drivers appear to be operational;

The owner blew both original tweeters some years ago and, rather than replace just the diaphragms, he replaced the whole units with the Klipsch units shown in the photos;

Other than the replacement tweeters, everything else is original and consistent with the consecutive serial numbers;

The owner states that hes reluctant to part with them, but if he could net $2,000 for the pair, he would sell them;

Wes and I tried to politely suggest that $2,000 might be a bit more than the market value for customized Khorns of this vintage, even when they worked perfectly;

We advised him that we would share this information with Forum members who might be interested in these speakers for local pickup; and

He gave us permission to post his email address: Robert.Scott@comcast.net

If youre seriously interested, please contact Bob Scott. At this time, Wes and I feel that his $2,000 asking price is probably his minimum. Perhaps he would entertain serious offers below that, if not now, in the future (hes thinking about moving).

If youre not seriously interested, PLEASE DO NOT CONTACT HIM TO SHARE YOUR OPINION ABOUT THE APPEARANCE OF THE SPEAKERS. Theyve looked like that as long as he can remember. His father and mother paid to have them customized so that they would blend in with the rest of the décor. To insult their appearance is to insult his parents taste.

The foregoing, including the photos, essentially reflects everything I know about the speakers. Nevertheless, feel free to contact me at nkdisney@comcast.net if you have questions that are not answered herein.

Wes, it was a pleasure meeting you and sharing the experience. I trust that youll share any of your impressions that differ from those expressed above.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Thanks for the visit and post Dizrotus. Sounds like someone will be able to purchase a clean slate pair of Khorns to do with as they wish. Although the finish is unusual, it is by no means distasteful in the right surroundings.

Michael

----------------

On 6/5/2005 4:08:36 PM DizRotus wrote:

Wes, it was a pleasure meeting you and sharing the experience. I trust that youll share any of your impressions that differ from those expressed above.

----------------

Neil,

Thanks for the invite, and it was a pleasure meeting you as well. I like that Miata too.

My impressions are the same as yours. As Neil said earlier, these speakers have been in sellers family for over 30 years. So at this point Bob still has huge sentimental attachment, thus his current asking price is his threshold for parting with speakers his dad truly loved. Perhaps time and an actual move date may soften sentiment, and increase the willingness to lower his selling price.

BTW - The crossovers were upgraded at the same time they did the tweeters, as you can see they are not the originals from 1964.

Wes

----------------

On 6/5/2005 4:18:50 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Thanks for the visit and post Dizrotus. Sounds like someone will be able to purchase a clean slate pair of Khorns to do with as they wish. Although the finish is unusual, it is by no means distasteful in the right surroundings.

Michael

----------------

......"it is by no means distasteful in the right surroundings."

Michael,

You own the big-ball look of industrial Klipsch, and you make that statement? Are you NUTS?

You must be tired from the trip!

"the right surroundings" would be limited to a low-class Mortuary, or a high-class Cat House. (New Orleans, I would expect)

9.gif9.gif

Get some sleep!2.gif

Regards,

Terry

okay Terry, I concede that I am, by definition insane, but just imagine them in a FLorida room or modern contemporary setting. At the very least, it was nice to know that the cabinets haven't been butchered by the addition of the professionally built facades. It might be just the trick for some lucky (?) guy to get his better half to 'allow' Khorns at all. (caveat, having never been married, I know nothing about this bit of trickery pulled by the female of the species.)

I will take your advice and get some more sleep before passing judgement on anything further however.

Michael

----------------

On 6/5/2005 5:03:35 PM ShapeShifter wrote:

BTW - The crossovers were upgraded at the same time they did the tweeters, as you can see they are not the originals from 1964.

----------------

Of course, you're right Wes. Also, I just noticed that the large gauge wire was not original to 1964. Furthermore, in photo "serial number 1C984 tweeter" it apears that the speakers were "bi-wired" at some time. You can see a pair of wires that are connected to the tweeter at one end, but lying loose, under the squawker horn, at the other end.