K-43 Woofers fair price? 1 or 2

lar418

Hi,

I have the Industrial La Scala bins with the K-43 woofer and decided to hang onto the bins, but sell the K-43's. I know they sell for around $300+ new, but what is a fair used price. They are from 1980 and are in very good shape.

Thanks!!

See second picture.

post-13315-13819266361432_thumb.jpg

A pair (150 x 2) for 300 dollars is a fair deal. They, with the Industrial La Scala x over will handle 200 WPC, as opposed to the K 33 at 100 WPC. Some say they do not go quite as low... Very hard to hear it IMO?

You can use the K33 woofer in them.. But I would hold on to them until you find a good woofer/ match with the tops... It is not as easy to do just slapping a 15" xyz brand in there, and expecting it to sound good.

Thanks for the K-43 pricing info.

I've been working on these Split La Scala's for over a year now. First disconnected the AL crossover and added a new DHA2 that I built (see attached picture). Damped the horns with rope caulk. Added braces to the bass bins. Tried the DJK bass mod with the K-43 woofer and it didn't do enough for the lower bass. The K-33 appears to be a better candidate for that mod. I also built two subs to keep up with the La Scala's. Now I have four large boxes in a small basement and I need to get down to two.

I just picked up 2 new K-33's from BEC and installed them in the La Scala's and like what I'm hearing. Not only a little warmer bass, but cleaner midrange at lower volumes. The K-43's are very good, but really need allot of power to shine.

First, I'm going to try the DJK bass mod again, with the K-33 woofer. I've ran a few alignments with Bass Box Pro and the K-33 has a better low end response then the K-43. If this doesn't work, I'll probably build a Cornscala bass section.

post-13315-13819266364232_thumb.jpg

The steel frame is older, and I think better.

The steel frame is spot-welded to the top plate, the cast frame is glued with CA. I have had the CA pull the paint off the frame and then had the magnet make 'clanking' noises when driven hard. The cup spider on the steel frame is not as linear as the flat spider on the cast frame, but the flat spider bottoms out a lot easier too.

$300 a pair is way to much for a used pair in unknwn shape.

See your local re-coner, he can re-cone any Eminence 15 frame with a 95 oz magnet to be a K43E for $50~$60, and sell you a frame cheap too.

Yes, I prefer the K-33 over the K-43. With the K-33, the midrange was a little more forward and sounded more natural.

I had the K-33 in one speaker and the K-43 in the other. I used a mono signal and kept switching back and forth.

I used the following with Bass BoxPro.

K-33; fs=34.46, Qts=.39, Vas=301.66 l

K-43; fs=31, Qts=.25, Vas=294.84 l

Got the following results w/minimal dampening:

K-33 w/Maximally Flat Alignment:

Box size=7.66 cu-ft, fb=33.63, f3=41.5

Checked the 4.8 cu-ft box with 2-4"dia x 10" ports:

Box size=4.8 cu-ft, fb=31.54, f3=57.4

K-43 w/Maximally Flat Alignment:

Box size=2.01 cu-ft, fb=45.45, f3=66.5

Checked the 4.8 cu-ft box with 2-4"dia x 10" ports:

Box size=4.8 cu-ft, fb=31.54, f3=72.54

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but these are the results with this software.

At the risk of repeating myself,

"What did you use for the 31hz HPF with a Q=2?"

If you read the manual for BassBox 6 Pro you will find 'Vented Box with Active HP EQ Filter'.

K43E in 4.8 cu ft

Fb=31hz

two 4" dia 10.52" long ports

F3=30.68hz

SPL 2.83V=101dB

Alternate tuning prefered by many based on sound quality

Fb=35hz

two 4" dia 7" long ports

F3=31.42hz

----------------

On 6/5/2005 8:12:01 PM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

A pair (150 x 2) for 300 dollars is a fair deal. They, with the Industrial La Scala x over will handle 200 WPC,
as opposed to the K 33 at 100 WPC
. Some say they do not go quite as low... Very hard to hear it IMO?

----------------

I think the newer K33 is rated at 150 watts.

"Could the extra cone displacement with the active filter overdrive the woofer?"

BassBox 6 Pro models cone excursion as well.

The filter protects the speaker from out-of-band signals that might over-excurd the cone, it will have less of a problem that a simple vented box will.

The K43E will handle almost 200W sine wave at 31hz without a problem. I have used 800W PA power amps (Altec 9440, Hafler P500, BGW 750, etc) driven into clipping with live music and not had a problem. After years of hard use the tinsel leads will need to be replaced, an easy job.

Klipsch used to use Guass (spelling?) low end drivers in there pro stuff and this was a cast driver around 78- 82.

this was a very good driver and top of the heat in the pro feild in its day.They held the top owners in power handling back then.

• Like 1