Best Buy carries hifi audio now

Blackmesa

http://www.magnoliahifi.com/stores/MagnoliaHT/default.asp

I have been in a few bestbuys with the Magnolia sub-section, and its just like a pro audio store with glass doors seperating it from the best buy zoo, inside they have wall carpet and all. Klipsch should get their reference stuff in on this being that Bestbuy carries klipsch and Magnolia does not, this may be an opportunity.

Oh boy...... I can't wait to run out to deal with a 16 year old student give me audio advice....

No thanks...... I will stick to those that have served me over the years and ARE pros...

Heritage, IMHO is what Klipsch is, at least for me.....

Exactly! If they carry those brands they will need to dramatically upgrade their sales force as well. Dropping that kind of case on gear with no support from those who sold it would be C-R-A-Z-Y!

On that note, I just bought a tonearm from Hart at Audio Advancements. Hart, over the course of 4 days and about 10 phone calls and what appeared to be at least three "lab sessions," was kind enought to "mock" my cartridge on the arm I was interested in to ensure that they would be compatible. That kind of service would be hard to come by at Best Buy.

WOW, that is one list of brands (Infocenter/Brands), but I agree totally with Royster and Kev, they will have to dramatically upgrade sales force to do a proper job of selling/servicing those labels. Perhaps that is why Klipsch is not fully on board.

Noticed that Magnolia is only on the fabulous West Coast. That means it'll get to the lowly midwest around Holiday Season 2007!

Anymore I can't hardly stand to get out of Best Buys with their distorted little white cubes blasting 'today's music'. Ever been there at closing time? THey're so obnoxious to play some song about 'lets all go home' at ludicrous levels- I just about dropped my purchases on the floor and walked out I was so offended. Whatever happened to a store manager politely saying 'the store is about to close...' Hideous!

Michael

Around these parts, Magnolia is a separate store (albeit in the same center), staffed by folks in suits and ties, not blue shirts (not that that necessarily means anything).

Michael, I have never heard that "it's time to go home" music! I wonder if the sneak subliminal messages into the music at other times of the day (like, "It's time to buy a plasma screen" or something...)?

----------------

On 6/7/2005 2:34:20 AM Blackmesa wrote:

Klipsch should get their reference stuff in on this being that Bestbuy carries klipsch and Magnolia does not, this may be an opportunity.

----------------

Klipsch used to be in Magnolia. That was who I used to deal with. Somehow the relationship changed between Magnolia and Klipsch and Magnolia no longer carries Klipsch. 14.gif

----------------

On 6/7/2005 7:44:08 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

Ever been there at closing time? THey're so obnoxious to play some song about 'lets all go home' at ludicrous levels- I just about dropped my purchases on the floor and walked out I was so offended. Whatever happened to a store manager politely saying 'the store is about to close...' Hideous!

----------------

Michael,

I'm guilty of this practice16.gif. In the 80's and 90's I used to work for a rather different kind of department store in Cincinnati called Swallen's. Different in that each department had much better than average product lines than what there is today at places like BB.

Anyway, the Audio Dept. (where I worked) was right next to the Records Dept. (duh!). A short, scrawny, drug ridden guy (Phil) about 10 years my senior would play "Goin' to Party Town" by Glenn Fry. The rest of the album was perfect but that track was pretty wore out. We also used to turn off half of the lights 10 minutes before closing. But the song was at the same volume as the rest of the day's selections. Just a small tradition....

Michael:

I've done the same thing many times and at a number of different stores.

Arm full of purchases and get to check-out only to find that there are two cashiers and 15 people in each line. Geeze, you'd think it was the post office. After a few minutes I just dump the stuff on a shelf and walk out. I DO NOT stand in line to give people money.

James

----------------

On 6/8/2005 1:07:03 AM jheis wrote:

Michael:

I've done the same thing many times and at a number of different stores.

Arm full of purchases and get to check-out only to find that there are two cashiers and 15 people in each line. Geeze, you'd think it was the post office. After a few minutes I just dump the stuff on a shelf and walk out. I DO NOT stand in line to give people money.

James
----------------

Hate to see what happens when you go to the DMV 9.gif

Guest Anonymous

----------------

On 6/7/2005 6:33:40 AM Royster wrote:

Oh boy...... I can't wait to run out to deal with a 16 year old student give me audio advice....

No thanks...... I will stick to those that have served me over the years and ARE pros...

----------------

Just wondering if you have ever been to a Magnolia? Because all of their staff is much older than the Best Buy staff....

Best,

George

Guest Anonymous

One thing I really like about their brands is that there is a complete lack of monster products in their brand list......

Best,

George

----------------

On 6/7/2005 6:33:40 AM Royster wrote:

----------------

Well, though I really like the boutique hi-end shops and the service they provide also, this is a great step forward.

If you go into a Circuit City or Best Buy and listen to one of demo systems, you will probably be appalled. Most sound like large boom boxes. Then think about this:

Most people under 30 have NEVER HEARD good audio, unless it was a friend's dad's system. Why would they even want good audio? They don't even know that it exists!

If they had a decent showroom with some decent equipment, and it might give some consumers the idea that they might like good audio. The high-end industry could use that. I just hope that Bestbuy puts a high-end showroom near me.

----------------

On 6/12/2005 7:12:47 AM franczyk wrote:

Well, though I really like the boutique hi-end shops and the service they provide also, this is a great step forward.

If you go into a Circuit City or Best Buy and listen to one of demo systems, you will probably be appalled. Most sound like large boom boxes. Then think about this:

Most people under 30 have NEVER HEARD good audio, unless it was a friend's dad's system. Why would they even want good audio? They don't even know that it exists!

If they had a decent showroom with some decent equipment, and it might give some consumers the idea that they might like good audio. The high-end industry could use that. I just hope that Bestbuy puts a high-end showroom near me.

----------------

You have no idea how true that is. Figure, start getting good, properly installed systems in homes across America, there will be more and more demand for remastered DVD's and CD's (among other things) and everyone will win.