Why...

Smokem

I installed a set at my brother's for same reasons and am not happy at all with the results. The satellites are so small that the sub has to handle too many octaves and music or DVD concerts just don't sound real because the full musical spectrum isn't coming over the 5 main channels. You lose a lot of directional information because so much is coming out of the sub. I'd try the Ref series. Sorry. Hard to get full, killer sound out of such an inexpensive package.

Michael

SEARCH for other threads with more quintet reviews.

Yes they're a good bargain for the money, but come nowhere near to recreating the cinema experience. Nice for say a bedroom though.

Well... I'm certainly no expert, in fact quite a HT amateur...

But I'm compelled to say "balderdash".

I asked a lot of questions (in fact was probably a pain in the butt!), and did a lot of reading... mostly on area, acoustics & placement.

I have RSX-5's, a RC-25, and "other" than Klipsch Sub in a (approx.) 13+x14' w/ high-ceiling room.

The Sub is set to cut-off at approx. 75Hz.

IMHO, more would be overkill in this room.

All in the beholder's ear, I reckon.

Positive comments, on the little system, from everyone who's heard it... movies & Music...possible exception My one "Hip-Hop" Daughter, who would like it to BOOM like one of those passing cars..LOL!

I have to agree with Frzninvt on this. To me, it's just like a car. No replacement for displacement. IMHO no matter what you do, you can't get little speakers to sound big. PWK never designed little speakers, did he?

Just my .02

Jeremy

Yep, to make sound we move air, and there is no replacement for square inches of radiating area. TekWorm, I feel compelled to say "balderdash" right back at ya. I've got two Chorus IIs, an Academy, and two Quartets in a room about the size of yours, sub crossed at about 45 Hz. It's not "overkill" by any stretch. It's "headroom."

----------------

On 6/7/2005 8:41:27 AM TekWorm wrote:

Well... I'm certainly no expert, in fact quite a HT amateur...

But I'm compelled to say "balderdash".

I asked a lot of questions (in fact was probably a pain in the butt!), and did a lot of reading... mostly on area, acoustics & placement.

I have RSX-5's, a RC-25, and "other" than Klipsch Sub in a (approx.) 13+x14' w/ high-ceiling room.

The Sub is set to cut-off at approx. 75Hz.

IMHO, more would be overkill in this room.

All in the beholder's ear, I reckon.

----------------

I have a pair of RF-3IIs and a large 15" sub, in a 10x16 room with low ceilings.

I would rather have my Quintets than B**e. I bought them knowing I was going to up grade, but the little buggers sound pretty good so I am not in a rush. I figured the sub and center was worth the $100. I am planning on replacing the fronts with either RF-35's or F-3's, leaning more towards the RF-35's. The Cinema 10 system is a better start than say B**e.

PWK never designed little speakers, did he?

He tried (quite a few times), but was never quite pleased, IMO. I've seen and heard quite a few prototypes of his that are one-of-a-kind. I think the Heresy is the smallest speaker (that he designed) that he let out the door.

Tony

Satellite systems are a compromise. There is a marked loss of realism and imaging. They don't sound bad but they do not deliver nor can they compete with the big boys. But they were not were they designed to. Michael noted a loss of directionality I agree very much with that. The little satellites are just not capable of attempting a full range and rely way too much on the sub to reproduce what they are not capable of. This overworks the sub and takes away from its primary duty, which should only be to reinforce and accentuate lower frequencies not normally produced very well by most speakers.

Guest Anonymous

No question, hands down, for size and/or monetary constraints, can't do better than a Quintet system!