so, i got la scalas today.. (not as impressed as i thought i'd be)

tofu

----------------

On 6/13/2005 6:59:54 PM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

This Board ....

it's kinda the Have's ..

'n the Have-nots ...

summa us are Digitally Conversant ...

the others, ...

Old Farts ... Dinosaurs, if you will ....
5.gif

----------------

Whaddaya mean? I have two reel to reels sitting here. And one ADAT and one DAT, plus the computers. I'm warming up to this digital stuff bit by bit...9.gif

Marvel

Ha, Marvel ....

i'm 50 ...

got into the digital tryin' to convert all that Tape to ...CD ...

i must have a THOUSAND pound's of tape ... from

working in a Studio

doing Sound Re-inforcement

playin' in Bands ..

Guess what .. it's 95% Ampex ..

and it's all turnibg to OXIDE DUST...............6.gif

I recommend listening to your speakers late at night when the noise floor is down. Set the volume knob to about 9-10 Oclock and you be pushing 85dbs. You will find they are much clearer and cleaner.

I have RF-5s with a B&K ref 50, Yamaha M80 (260 wpc), and a 963sa SACD player and find my 2 channel rig way better. A tube preamp would do you the most justice with your MC250 SS gear. Takes the edge off.

I recently moved my CWs into the Greatroom/diningroom area when my wife was out of town. Craig would have been proud, 95dbs for over one hour straight. I never heard a better sound. Sonny Rollins Way out West was incredible, as well as Flock of Seagulls, etc. If you could audition the speakers in a larger room temporarily by making large speaker wire runs you would be impressed.

upgraded my source today (new soundcard arrived) -- chaintech av-710 (set up to use wolfson dac). very inexpensive and minor upgrade ($27), but it made a world of a difference over my integrated audio. easier to hear the finer details in songs and i no longer have a bad hiss. a lot more improvements, but it'd take forever to list them all. i'm starting to fall in love with these speakers now.

all that's left to do is upgrade the networks and eventually buy an external DAC. probably going to be a while before the latter occurs, as i'm more interested in buying one of those music hall 5 turntables.