so, i got la scalas today.. (not as impressed as i thought i'd be)

tofu

In a room that small, just about anything will sound like it has good bass. I have a pair of NHT Super Zeros Minimonitors (3.5 inch woofer) and they sound very acceptable in my home office. In a large room, they have zero ... ZERO bass. In the same small room, my ProAC 2.5s, which only have a 7 inch woofer sound HUGE and will rock with a 35 watt amp.

You will not lack for bass in your room. However, since you can't crank it up (which is the raison dêtre of Heritage Klipsch) you are going to miss some of the fun. Someday, when you move to the suburbs, you are going to have fun annoying your neighbors.

----------------

On 6/11/2005 7:19:06 AM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

Saaay, Doc ..

you Do have the ASIO plug-in for Foobar ....right.?

i use an ART DI/ O for my DAC

----------------

i thought the asio plugin for foobar was just a kernel streaming wrapper?

----------------

On 6/11/2005 11:23:50 AM tofu wrote:

----------------

On 6/11/2005 7:19:06 AM bsafirebird1969 wrote:

Saaay, Doc ..

you Do have the ASIO plug-in for Foobar ....right.?

i use an ART DI/ O for my DAC

----------------

i thought the asio plugin for foobar was just a kernel streaming wrapper?

----------------

Well I don't really use foobar because I don't usually listen to music off the pc (only because it isn't feasible to hook one up right now). I just know that it gets around the stupid kernel stuff built into windows. I was unaware about the ASIO plug-in, but that might be worth looking into (it is free right?) When I do listen on the computer I'm usually using iTunes which seems to work well enough on the G5 in the studio. I don't know how iTunes processes sound when used on a windows machine though but I have a feeling it goes through the kernel stream as well. If you're going for good quality the key is to find software and hardware that uses ASIO...the rest is just bells and whistles. I believe Winamp is ASIO capable as well...

Btw, how do you like the sound of the ART? Have you had a chance to compare to other models? I've got a few oldschool ART effects processors (one got fried during a lightning strike and now it makes some really wild sounds, which I actually use quite often). Anyways, I've been curious about them lately and haven't gotten around to a demo. As a company ART isn't exactly after super high quality expensive, but you do get a lot of bang for the buck and it's not like they make anything that sounds bad either. I think that made sense, lol. Anyways, for the price I can imagine that they make some really nice DACs...I've been eyeing the ones advertised in the MusiciansFriend catalogs...they have a model that uses tubes as well, which I think a lot of the tube fanatics around here would like, but nobody ever mentions it.

----------------

On 6/9/2005 8:47:56 PM tofu wrote:

while we're on the topic of crossovers, where can i acquire the autotransformers for the universal ALK schematic?

----------------

Universal Transformer #3619

P.O. Box 472

Farmersville, TX 75442

972 784-7700 voice

972 782-7000 fax

tofu, I've gone through the same thing you have. I've tried a few past Klipsch speakers models and compared them to the RF-7 and I think it's difficult to go from the RF-7 (same for RF-3) to Klipsch Heritage line. It actually will show you just how good the reference line is. You also have to give yourself some time to get used to the Heritage sound as you take-in the differences from the Reference. Expectations of blowing away should not be setup by those claiming such, and should be avoided because it sets up disappointments, the differences are not that BIG! There is no best or blowing away to be had. They are different sounds and there are trade offs for each. You have to pick which one is overall more to your liking that YOU prefer, not someone else likes. Klipsch doesn't make a DOG in any line, all Klipsch speakers are good. I very much like the sound of Klipsch and all models have that very unique distinctive Klipsch signature sound. The Reference line gives you the best of both worlds of cone and horn together with a more full bodied sound, as the Heritage line sound is more airy sounding, I like to use the word airy than hollow or empty as some try to describe it because it's not lacking and not a bad thing, the Heritage is giving an airy sound as how closer it would sound if you were listening to it live, meaning as if you were in the room while they are performing. The Reference line sounds live but more full bodied, not as airy, more like live in a studio accurate type sound. I really like the sound of both lines. My overall pick for myself is the RF-7 because for me it meets closes to doing everything I like in an overall way. If I could take what I like best about both lines and put into one, that would be great! Or you can have both like some do, but I've got to avoid that syndrome! I don't have the room to do that, nor will she like that at home, women don't like to share their space with too many speakers like some of us males. With either line, I find myself sitting and wanting to just keep listening more and more. I really like the Klipsch sound and I'm probably hooked now to only own Klipsch speakers for the rest of my life! Enjoy! 2.gif

• Like 1

----------------

On 6/13/2005 1:02:20 PM msst wrote:

...Klipsch doesn't make a DOG in any line, all Klipsch speakers are good...

--------------

Greetings,

Nicely put! After purchasing my kg4's (and hearing both a pair of Cornwalls and my brother's Synergy HT setup) I'm inclined to agree with you. I suspect a lot of us here on the forum are in the "Klipsch 4-Life" club. I've tried other very nice speakers and can say there are some that do imaging better, others that offer more bass extension, and still others that....... You get the picture.

But for the money - or even cost aside - Klipsch speakers are really hard to beat at bringing it all together and recreating *music*. In fact I suspect that Klipsch fans tend to be music lovers rather than "audiophiles". You don't often come across words such as "PRAT" on the forum (unless, of course, it's one of our British friends calling someone names!) Rather, you usually hear about folks kicking back and enjoying the music.

And ain't that what it's really all about?

Take care,

Scott

It's just a matter of getting used to that sound. Your used to the rf-3's. People talk about source, amps, garbage in garbage out. This is true, but if you did this to the rf-3's they are going to sound amazing as well, and will only get better. I thought the same thing about my synergy's against my brothers heresy's. Now I am used to the heresys and I don't know if there is any turning back. I did change source, and amplification since. So i am curious what the sf-2 sound like now. They from the begining had better vocals ( I will explain ), and dug deeper, but lacked the fullness and overall eveness. I think the vocal thing was an illusion. I put in my dire straits self titled cd. The synergys immediately showed to me what seemed to be better overall vocals, but the guitar was sort of distant. I didn't hear all the intricate plucking of Mark's guitar as clearly. Then I tried the heresys. Now it's becoming clearer. I am hearing all the guitar, and the vocals almost perfectly even. So what I thought was a better midrange really was worse. Plus I will take that fuller bass and tighter drum over a deeper looser sound. Still though I can live with almost any of the Klipsch speakers, and I love the imaging a skinnier tower can pull off. However the full soundstage is just better after I got used to it. I think once you hear the Lascalas for awhile and go back you will hear where the rf's may be lacking. Give em a month then go back. Pretty amazing that Klipsch put such good sound in their entry level line. That shows class!

----------------

On 6/9/2005 12:42:51 PM Jay L wrote:

----------------

On 6/9/2005 11:53:47 AM tofu wrote:

it seems the crossover network upgrade is a higher priority,

----------------

unless its actually broken, thats the last thing i would mess with.

----------------

I concur wholeheartedly. Upgrade your source (the EMU option is a good idea, I have an EMU 1212 that does surprisingly well even direct out - never mind through my outboard DAC) then worry about the crossovers.

Understand, bro. The higher up the ladder you get with horns, the more revealing they get, and therefore the more defiiciencies in your chain they show you.

its got to be the sound card and the MP3s.. MP3s sound like a$$ through a hi-fi system.. stick with FLAC. I think you need to re-think your whole setup... if your going to use a computer as a playback device, you really need an external DAC, and just use the computer as a digital transport. im also a believer of having a pre-amp in the chain.. people dont realize how much a good pre-amp can improve the sound.

and by the way guys, the computer is essentially a 0-jitter playback device, the signal is locked to the CPUs clock frequency.

----------------

On 6/13/2005 5:00:34 PM NatGun wrote:

and by the way guys, the computer is essentially a 0-jitter playback device, the signal is locked to the CPUs clock frequency.

----------------

Well you CAN get jitter if the pc is doing the actual digital to analog conversion...doesn't mean it's always an issue with good hardware though. In fact, the only time jitter can ever occur is during the conversion to analog, and any DAC in the world is going to have to deal with this. So there really isn't anything inheritantly wrong with the pc (which is why most studios are now digital).

i've decided to upgrade both at the same time.

here's the plan:

1) buy an av-710 and set it up to use the wolfson DAC (should be a lot beter than my cmedia onboard audio, or atleast less noisy)

2) buy the parts for the ALK x-over build. i've been studying the schematic, and although i've never built anything electronic before, and the only soldering i've done is with a blowtorch (plumbing), i think i can pull this off. it's just a matter of knowing where to attach each wire to what.

3) once i have extra cash, i'm going to use the av-710's optical out and connect it to an external DAC.

instead of going with the audiophile 192, i'll just buy the $25 card for now so i can have a taste of both worlds. the external DAC will be better in the long run anyhow, so i'm setting myself up for a bigger improvement. the external DAC will probably come after the rf-3's are sold

sound like a step in the right direction, guys?