OK convince me

merkin

Top Ten Reasons to Buy Cornwalls

10. Tweeters at ear level

9. They hold more plants (lava lamps, Jenna DVD's) than any other speaker

8. You don't have to worry about anyone stealing them, they're too big to cart off

7. 15" woofers means you can finally set bass management to LARGE

6. excellent scratching post for cats

5. they come in fine real wood veneers, if you're single you can call em furniture

4. enclosed box protects your crossover from the elements

3. they're for sale every week on ebay

2. Cornwalls are so good that Klipsch might just bring them back one day.

and the number 1 reason to buy Cornwalls

BIG BOXES = BIG BASS

'nuf said? now get out there and get yours NOW!

Michael

How's this?

If you can afford 'em and will enjoy 'em, Go for it!

Life is short and who wants to approach the exit with regrets?! 2.gif

I came close, a year back, with a stroke compounded with a couple heart attacks..

All I could think of was my Mom always sayin' "I'll be able to afford it better next year", til she finally passed, never enjoying the things she most wanted to experience. 15.gif

Now, I'm outa' control! 9.gif

(Did that do it?)

On second thought, if you're using your setup mainly for HT, I'd stick with the identical matched ForteII's that you have in the four corners. If you listen to a lot of 2ch music, the Cornwalls would be great for that and a pretty good match to the ForteII's in the rear.

For best HT use though, stick with the matched set.

Michael

I'm not going to prod you. You should listen to your gut feelings. Do you feel right about it? I know sometimes when I am going to purchase something i get a weird gut feeling. Usually ten out of ten it's wrong to buy whatever I am going to get when I feel that way. ( Usually if I have to ask someone if I should get it.) If you have to use credit dont'! The pressure of bills are far worse than the pleasure of material things. If you can afford them and no bad gut feelings plus if your room is good for them like JM said go for it. By the way a stress free life is far more rewarding than having a bunch of stuff. I enjoy this forum, and I own synergys. I am content with them. My amplification is a different story. But the point is you don't need the best to enjoy life or this forum.

Another option is upgrade the fortes, read some of the diy threads in upgrades and mods. popbumber or deang provide services of this nature. After reading till my eyes bled I chose popbumbers "munsonic k-stack" option because I didnt have to go without my speakers for more than an hour and imo the price was right. search under "academy tale" for starters. I am very satisfied.10.gif

Thanks for your replies. I'm going to keep my eyes open and if some fall in my lap I'll take them. I think what michael said about the four matched for HT makes sense. Also my front sound stage is only 13 feet wide and the room is 20 feet deep and opens into another room.

Big box=more bass

Ultra PB12/2=big big box.

The sub has tons of bass ( I have to run it 4 to 5 db below my speakers to balance.)and is musically very good.

I have been thinking about the crossover upgrades though. Do you like yours and was there a big difference. My Forte II's are 89's so from what I read my caps my be aging? I have read some of the academy tale.

my forte II networks are still in the mail though I started with my academy.

and love it. Just as frzn stated it made a good speaker great or something to that affect. I feel as though my academy blossomed(oh I know I just spelled that wrong). If you are not in a rush for new speakers I will have those forte II networks in hopefully within the week and will repost in one or more of these threads as to my impressions.

I am partial to my Fortes and academy and want to keep them.

Merkin, do you want a demo?

If you want to be convinced of what an all Cornwall theater can do for you, Merkin, you are more than welcome to a demo. I seem to recall you are from the same area, yes? You may find that the Corns are the way to go......or you may also find that the Fortes are giving you what you want, as well.

Hearing will give MUCH direction to your planning.....and will potentially save lots of $$$ in the process.

Thanks nectar. I would really love to hear your corns some time.

I wasn't planning on going to all corns just for the fronts. I was also just thinking about cornwall II's thinking that they would match my forte II's as rears. I'm in Rock Island. Need to take off and head out on the river now. Kids love to tube and wakeboard. talk to ya later.

Merkin, if I were you, I would take Audible up on his offer of an audition. The Cornwall is definitely a step up, but with your HT use, you would want to end up replacing all Fortes with Cornwalls. I, too, am owner of an all-Cornwall HT and it's awesome having all those 15's pumping out LF sound effects. I not only leave my speakers set to LARGE, but run the .1 LFE soundtrack through BOTH fronts and my sub (a wee little KSW15 works fine) .

The crossover upgrade will increase the clarity of your Fortes, but will not add the POWER and MAJESTY of the MIGHTY CORNWALL sound! Give it a listen!

Michael

----------------

On 6/11/2005 6:26:04 PM merkin wrote:

Convince me that I should seriously consider Cornwall II's to replace my Forte II's for fronts. I just need a little prodding.

----------------

I find that the sound differences between the cornwall/chorus/forte are such that it's more a case of different sound than better sound. Don't the forte's dig lower than the cornwall anyway? (F3 of 32Hz versus 38Hz). I think the biggest difference between the 2 will actually be the tractrix midrange of the forte versus the exponential on the cornwall...not sure which is better so it's probably another case of preference. I just don't think it's worth the hassle/money to obtain a pair of cornwalls to replace the fortes; the resources could be better implemented in other areas of the system (room treatment would be a great place to start).

Thanks Dr. Who. Also the funds could be used for a better monitor. I was just wondering and speculating. The answers and opions here help me make a more informed decision. Lots of ideas to consider. I guess that is the fun part of this hobbie.

I have to add a few of my observations to Dr Who's statements.

I for one have owned CornW's and Chorus 1's at the same time years ago. Side by side, I perfered the Chorus over the CornWall. I found its reproduction was much more ballanced sounding over the entire spectrum, much more pleasant to my ears and liking. Also look at Smillin, he has also replaced his Cornwalls as mains in his system.

I still have one set of pristine pair of Forte 1's in storage at the moment, they are gem's that are just too hard to get rid of.

You just have to give them all a listen and see what you prefer. They do sound slightly different, but they all sound great.

This forum is a great place to find people to let you audition equipment, as I have done so many times.

JM

On 6/11/2005 8:19:38 PM j-malotky wrote:

Merkin

Depending on your room size, the Forte may sound better. In small rooms say 12 x 12 or smaller, the Forte IMO sounds much more ballanced than the Cornwall.

JM

----------------

It's amazing how smart j-malotky can be at times!9.gif I've got 16' X 16' and when the room is done, that's where the Cornwalls will sit!2.gif