Marshall Guitar Amplifier

DRBILL

So,

The owner picked it up today after trying it out. He said that it didn't sound this good, new. Many thanks for the comments and suggestions. Some were even helpful!

In addition to the other things, I put in three NOS RCA 12AX7's in the preamp section and a NOS EICO/MULLARD 12AX7 as driver. I suspect that the tubes were greater than the value of the amplifier when new!

For my taste, it was a bit light on bass, but I suspect this wasn't an issue for the application.

I have a champ for a son-in-law. He is totally worth it.

DR BILL

The Original Super Leads and the smaller were done by hand.

Hanging the tubes was thought to give better ventilation (yeah, right, maybe a fan?) and for space and wire saving purposes.

That way the controls could be where they are. Plus there was always the idiot thought that if the tubes were hanging a quicker change could be made if needed - pulling down easier than up. A hot tube doesn't care. Also hanging the tubes gives more space from the top.

They went to assembly line and quality went down.

I had a Traynor Bass Amp, eight ten inch speakers, rated for 200 watts. KT-88s hanging, but it had a fan ventilator.

Have a '63 Fender Precision that the former owner tear dropped like Entwhistle. Looking for a Vintage Body.

DrBill-

Perhaps the tubes are located where they are for the same reasons the Brits lost the motorcycle industry to the Japanese.

The never made an impact in computers because they couldn't figure out a way to make them leak fluids.

Oh no! My Lucas monitor just went dark.

----------------

On 6/25/2005 11:04:34 AM Marvel wrote:

You need the hemptone speakers for great tone...

They ain't cheap.

I had a bassman back in the late '60s. The cab had two JBL D130s. That was one NICE amp/speaker combo.

----------------

I just got a Tone Tubby 4x10 alnico closed back cab that I've been breaking in with a little Univalve running a KT-90...the hemp cones really sound warm and they took the last rattle out of my low-d string. I'm strongly considering putting them in the rest of my cabs.

Has anyone discussed or looked into the merrits of hemp cones for audio? Tone Tubby says their currently looking at neodydidium...

Also, glad that Dr. Bill was able to rescue that Marshall...4.gif

This is obviously a later Marshall. Marshall amps like the 50 and 100 watt heads of the 60's and 70's had their tubes mounted above the chassis and sat upright. Only later combo amps had sockets on the circuit board and were mounted upside down in the cabinet. Fender did this, but if you look at a Fender amp, the sockets are mounted to the chassis and the tag board is not directly over the sockets. I work on and restore vintage Fender, Ampeg, Gibson and Marshall amps and they last for may years. Most problems are due to the age of the components not poor design. Most all 30+ year old tube amps need to at least have their power supply capacitors changed and to have their coupling capacitors replaced. I also replace the plate feed resistors, bias power supply and all small electrolytic capacitors on the chassis as well as clean all controls and clean or replace input and speaker jacks as necessary.

Your Marshall is nothing like the vintage Marshall amps made prior to 1980. I have a 1965 Fender Bandmaster which I have refurbished and still use to this day. It is rock solid and trouble free. The same was true for my 1973 Marshall 50 watt head, (which I sold a few years ago. Real dumb move. )

Bill B.

Tube amps at: http://home.alltel.net/wbittle1