More Best Buy BS....

Joe Shmoe

Idea is, when you buy a 61" Samsung DLP, the PSP (warranty) starts immediatly. Instead of having to SHIP it to be fixed, or hope someone will come to your house (sometimes they will, but you are at their mercey), it is all in-home.

It will cover things the manufacturer won't. Lamps (usually what, a 60 day lamp warranty?), power surges (thats covered), cleanings, overheating, etc.

Oh, and so you know, Best Buy is now carrying a massive selection of AR cables (the old 'cheap'-but-still-good line and the new Pro II stuff which is very nice) as well as Belkin PureAV power centers. Lots of new stuff most of you will appreciate (more and better selection)

Lots of *good* changes, and just not limited to products 2.gif

My general rule-of-thumb is to buy an extended warranty for any electronic product over $500.

And most definitely for computers. That should go without saying. A $200-300 warranty is more than worth it should your computer ever die on you, costing you $75-80 per hour of labor to get it fixed, and that's NOT including parts.

Years ago at another electronics chain store, the clerk tried to sell me an extended warranty on my $119 CD player. She claimed that it would cost $300-$400 to replace the laser inside if it failed. I asked her why I wouldn't just buy another new unit for $119 if that happened.

----------------

On 6/15/2005 4:56:20 PM Parrot wrote:

Years ago at another electronics chain store, the clerk tried to sell me an extended warranty on my $119 CD player. She claimed that it would cost $300-$400 to replace the laser inside if it failed. I asked her why I wouldn't just buy another new unit for $119 if that happened.

----------------

What did she say?

I love when you catch sales people not thinking but just toting the company line.

"The whole extended warranty thing pisses me off. ".

You def. have to be smart about what you buy it for, but I have found the extended warranties to be a very very good value. For example, I bought an MP3 player (350$ dollars, around that) several years ago (maybe 3-4). It broke after 2-3 years. I took it back, and they gave me a mp3 player of the same value (rio karma) and I rebought the extended warranty for 50$. I had that for a year, and I dropped it, and it broke. I took it back, and they gave me an ipod photo, and I rebought the extended warranty for 50$. So I total have spend 450$ , and gone thru 2 350$ players, and now have an Ipod. Im sure it doesn't work out as good for everyone, but thats the risk.

Expensive small electronics that are easy to break, and def. worth the investment. I have the warranty on my Nikon D70, and hopefully I'll never need it. I have had and used the best buy warranty on enough items to know that it probably doesn't pay for large, non-mobile electronics, but for me anything I cart around on a regular basis gets the warranty.

----------------

On 6/15/2005 4:56:20 PM Parrot wrote:

----------------

The irony is that that is probably true (with labor costs) to Repair it instead of simply replacing it!

Unless the item has a less then stellar reputation, I will generally use a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty up to a year for free and simply pay it off as cash.

absolutely absurd in this day and age payng 2-300 dollars for a warranty on a computer,paying 120 for speaker wires when lamp cord or romex will work as well at 1/10 the cost will do the same for the special monster cable video/audio connects. BAH HUMBUG

3.gif3.gif

Hello All:

I purchased a new Compaq computer and something told me to get the extended warranty. Glad I did for within a month of the Compaq warranty ending the motherboard died.

I have some pieces of audio equipment that is well over 20 years of age and still performing like it did when I purchased it.

Pride in craftmanship and quality for the most part is a thing of the past.

A sad trend is overcoming our society and it is time to reverse it.

Just scan EBay and the so called present day home theatre loudspeakers and what is being sold as new and quality is pure - well, you know my trend of thought.

I used to buy new vehicles...that day has passed. Long live quality from yesterday and that includes Klipsch Heritage.

Best,

Craig

"A sad trend is overcoming our society and it is time to reverse it.

Just scan EBay and the so called present day home theatre loudspeakers and what is being sold as new and quality is pure - well, you know my trend of thought.

I used to buy new vehicles...that day has passed. Long live quality from yesterday and that includes Klipsch Heritage."

You think like I do.

There is no way in HELLO that I would spend $500-1000 on ANY new speaker. Not when Cornwalls are $600-1000, not when Chorus are 500-800, not when Scala/Belle/Klipschorns are 1000-2000 in used pairs. I have no issues with Klipsch's current pricing strategy, but I cannot get myself to pay for new RF7's when Corns are less than half the money......and will probably STILL last as long as new RF's will.

There is NO WAY I would go into any audio video store and buy a new big screen TV at 3-10K. It's probably going to be a shadow of itself in 5 years......I'll wait 'til they build them reliably and for a fair price.

I like to buy used Toyotas. I look for one with good maintenance history, about 3-5 years old.......then drive them as long as possible.

Then of course, there are my 30 year old Mac amps, old 1970's era tuners, furniture.....u name a major item in my household, it was probably a used unit when I got it. Fridge: 2 years old, side by side, paid $250 ($1000 new - minimum). Dell comp: $700 (was 5600 new). And so on.

In this day and age, the only way to be able to afford "luxury" or other wanted items....or for that matter, the normal accruments of a typical household, is to purchase items with an eye for quality, build, and affordability.

The fact that most "new" items are cheap crap serves to make me even more pleased with what I do have. I really don't feel belittled when I hear that M.D.'s brand new 50K system and mine sounds better than his at less than 20% of the cost......it just makes me feel smarter:)

Ultimate high priced cheap crap: NEW HOMES. I've toured/seen several new homes that look like they were built out of Wal Mart parts. Stair railings that peel from the base at first lean, cheap plastic fixtures (like the toilet paper holder that looks like it cost all but 99 cents), faucet fixtures that you KNOW will break down with repeated use. The investment that should last you the longest is now being built new - intended for a complete remodel in 10 years.

I had an in-law with such a new home. His new job was taking him from the Chicago north suburbs to the Cleveland area. He decided that he was going to have his home rebuilt with the same blueprints......only this time, he demanded a proper build. He got it, after much leaning on the contractors......and for 80K less (cheaper market). But he had to be a pest.

As far as BB goes? CD's and videos are about it. Not much in that place qualifies as a desireable item that I would actually pay for. You wouldn't believe how much business I have stolen from them......instead of speakers from BB, my friends now all have HERITAGE.

----------------

On 6/15/2005 4:54:20 PM nicholtl wrote:

My general rule-of-thumb is to buy an extended warranty for any electronic product over $500.

And most definitely for computers. That should go without saying. A $200-300 warranty is more than worth it should your computer ever die on you, costing you $75-80 per hour of labor to get it fixed, and that's NOT including parts.

----------------

I did buy an extended warrenty on my 55-inch TV, but usually, I don't bother. Still thought it was funny when Sears tried to sell me an extended warrenty on a friggan $15 hot glue gun a few years ago! It was like $3 extra, but, come-on! Needless to say, I passed. Also remember when I was with my mother several years ago when she was buying a cheap $20 phone at Radio Shack. They tried to sell her an extended warrenty, and of course, she refused. The salesman started to get pissy with her, and she basically threw the phone back at him and told him to "forget it" and stormed out of the store.

As for computers, I already have the expertise and know-how to fix the things myself, so I never buy an extended warrenty on the computer, especially considering that I build my own anyway.