O/T; Stuck VCR Tape Help needed

dodger

Greetings:

I Have a combination Zenith TV with a VCR unit built in.

Model is SMV 1941S-A, 4 head.

Somehow a tape became stuck, Turn power on (same button controls TV/VCR), can hear the motor over-working, will not eject, play, FF, REW, after about 45 seconds Power shuts down.

Any ideas on how to remove the stuck tape? No matter if it will be used for VCR function again.

Thanks, I appreciate any advice.

To note: one inserts tape, tape drops down for play/record. Wanted for TV function 98% of the time.

Again, my thanks,

Win dodger

• Moderators

Yikes, I wish I had an insightful answer for you, dodger. I'd be willing to bet this has happened to one or more of our engineers--I'll ask around tomorrow morning if you don't have any luck before then.

Win, there's going to be several screws on the back that'll allow you to pull the unit apart. I'm not sure exactly where to steer you from there. If it's a situation where the tape holds more value to you tha the set, let me know, I'll see what I can do.

The only thing to do is to take it apart.

I hope there is some way for you to access the tape mechanism without taking apart the TV section. Maybe there is a big back panel which exposes the guts of the VCR.

The VCR is a koo koo clock (sp) of complexity. Forcing it is bad idea. With some access you can probably tease out the tape and cassette box.

Gil

This happened to my grandparents a while back (with a zenith combo unit like yours)...

What ended up working was slipping in some screwdrivers on both sides of the tape and basically prying the whole device out. If you work it enough you'll be able to find places of leverage and all that. Just try to work in synch with the motor and then get really agressive with it. Sometimes you can just use one screwdriver and wedge it into the top of the frame that holds the tape, and basically lift the unit up. Your unit most likely ate the tape and it's the tape itself that is keeping the player from spitting it out...so if you don't wanna damage the tape, then you better try taking the unit apart. But even then, it isn't exactly easy to get inside the harness where your problem is.

I actually have to do this quite often (my peers like to bring their problems to me for solving) and the trick is to only do things that you feel comfortable being very firm about. It's hard to be agressive and patient at the same time so I'm always telling myself to take my time and try to think about it instead of going insane and ripping everything apart 2.gif

Sometimes it helps to jam the tape back in (instead of helping it out) as sometimes it will jar the motor just enough to get it to work the next time it tries to eject.

Amy, Ben, Gil, Dr. Who - Itruly appreciate the advice, just got up, will try and report back - also appreciate the noting of tape value and experiences with similar units and noting the kind of Pandora's box.

Off to try. Thanks.

Win: You have to take it apart, once the cassette drops on the capstans (? rollers) they pull about 18 inches of tape OUT of the cassette to the head and other rollers inside the unit. Your only hope of getting it out without damaging it is if this has not occured( that is what makes the bzzzzt bzzzzt noise after the cassette clicks in place). If it is stuck with the tape out, you have to take it apart. If the cassette has gone in but not down, you could back it out the door.

P.S. Drop it off the roof!