Dream Computer

updawg

I'm currently in the process of becoming a computer engineer and while at work I just put together computer's I'd like to own because I have nothing better to do. (I work for the government go figure) if I had the extra cash I'd like to buy this. Alienware is my computer company of choice if you couldn't tell.

Operating System: Microsoft® Windows® XP Professional with Service Pack 2

Chassis: Alienware® ALX Full-Tower Case - Space Black

Power Supply: PC Power & Cooling 510 Express 650 Watt peak power

Motherboard: Alienware® nForce4 SLI Chipset Motherboard PCI Express

Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 4800+ Processor with HyperTransport and Dual Core Technology

Memory: 2GB Corsair XMS Dual Channel DDR SDRAM at up to 550MHz - 4 x 512MB

Graphics Processor: Dual NVIDIA® GeForce 6800 Ultra PCI Express 256MB DDR3 with NVIDIA SLI Technology

Chassis Upgrades: AlienIce 2.0 Video Cooling System with Acoustic Dampening - Fusion Red

System Drive: Extreme Performance - Serial ATA RAID 0 - 148GB (74GB x 2) Serial ATA 10,000 RPM w/16MB Cache

Storage Drive: Additional Storage Drive - 74GB Serial ATA 10,000 RPM w/8MB Cache

Optical Drive One: Lite-On® 16x DVD / 52x36x52x CD-RW Drive

Optical Drive Two: NEC® ND-3520 16x Dual Layer DVD±R/W Drive

Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster® Audigy® 4 Pro High Definition 7.1 Surround Sound with Dual Firewire (IEEE® 1394)

Network Connection: Integrated High Performance Gigabit Ethernet

Security Software: Norton Internet Security 2005

Security Software: Norton AntiVirus 2005

Portable Storage : Alienware® 10-in-1 Digital Media Reader / Writer

Power Protection: Opti-UPS ES1500C 1400VA (980W Capacity)

Speakers: Klipsch ProMedia Ultra 5.1 500-Watt Speakers

ALX Wireless Keyboard and Mouse: Alienware® ALX Wireless Optical Desktop Elite by Microsoft®

Productivity Software: Microsoft® Office 2003 Small Business Edition

Booting from your raid setup is very dangerous. One blip and your out.Use a separate IDE drive for the OS. Use the raid setup for doing the action stuff, not storage. Use another computer for your online stuff with the Norton. Norton will slow your good machine down about 20%. The online computer can be an old dog laying around the house and if you have DSL make sure you set it up with a router and firewall, not a software firewall. Keep your good machine offline with no anti-virus or firewall. The NEC and the Plextor 716A are the two best burners on the market right now, the plextor does give a deeper burn.

JJK

----------------

On 6/17/2005 6:55:09 PM JJKIZAK wrote:

Booting from your raid setup is very dangerous.

----------------

Nah - actually quite the contrary - I don't care much for my OS, since it takes about 19 minutes to reinstall windows XP on my RAID array.

The only thing I use separate drives for, is for storage.

UPDAWG - Quick advice:

1) for data security, get a 300gb external drive and use Second Copy or similar software to sync and backup nightly

2) never use anything by Symantec... this is the list of software you should use instead (all free):

- Antivirus - AVG Free Edition

- Firewall - Kerio Personal Firewall

- Spyware protection - Spywareblaster and Spybot Search & Destroy

3) Alienware is nice, but EXTREMELY overpriced. I could put together a computer that will match it in every way for close to 1/2 the price.

Looks like you are planning on putting some serious cash out on the table for this machine.

I would consider looking at the new Dell XPS Generation V Desktops. Then again, I could help you out with the Employee Price, which blows the Alienware away for price.

I don't know about Dell blowing away Alienware on value. It's close I would think . As for putting together a computer for half the price that is a reality if your going to build it yourself. Thats the route i went, but still the Alienware case rules. Plus I still wish I went with Alienware, or shuttle. Shuttle.com computers are great also for the compact look, and a great prepackaged value.

Best monitor available right now for desktop computers - Dell 2405FPW... which is a 24-inch wide-aspect LCD with a 1920x1200 resolution and 12ms response rate.

Great for work, games, and especially movies.

My friend owns the 2005FPW, which is the 20" version of that monitor... and it's amazing. Beautiful color, really high contrast - really black blacks... and no noticeable ghosting or trailing, even in FPS games.

I've never heard any problems about booting off a raid drive before, and whats wrong with the audigy four? Drive space isn't a big deal for me I've never used more then 60 gigs before, and I store videos just on dvd's. My music collection isn't huge.. only about 2k songs and that only takes up like 10 gig. JJKIZAK

can you find an article about the problems of raid drives, I'd be really interested to take a look. I know I could put a computer together for cheaper than alienware, it's just something about their computers that is technically sound and you can't get from diy. They also have great tech support (not that I would need it) but this computer would kick major arse.

betatester I'm interested in your employee discount haha, what percent is it? Dell's high end stuff can't compare to alienware but there mid range computers blow alienware out of the water for the price you're paying. I have a dell inspiron 9100 3.2 ghz p4 w/ ht, 128 mobile radeon 9700, 1028 sodimm ddr pc3200, 60 gig hd 5400 rpm, 4x dvd burner. I love my laptop I really don't need it for battery power just taking it back and forth to school.

Updawg:

Sony video forum, but thats a raid 0 setup. If you set it up as raid 1 one drive will (mirror) retain the info but it will be slower. Personally I am using a Medea SCSI raid 0 setup on two units and a SATA raid 0 on my video setup. The SCSI one crapped once and I lost everything. My guru buddy say's the SATA raid is pretty reliable from the motherboard but a bit dicy from an adapter card. So far the Intel board SATA raid 0 has been OK. I really don't need to boot that fast so I use a standard IDE ATA 100 for the OS. I use two 250gig Maxtor drives on the SATA.

JJK

• 3 weeks later...

Dream Laptop I put together today at work made by Sager (http://www.sagernotebooks.com)

CPU<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Pentium® 4 Processor 670 with HT Technology / 2MB L2 Cache, 3.8GHz (LGA775)

Display

17.0" WUXGA Active Matrix LCD with Super Clear Glossy Surface

Video Controller

Nvidia Quadro FX Go 1400 PCI-Express 16X Graphics with 256MB DDR3 Video Memory

Memory

2GB Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 533MHz - 2 X 1024MB

Primary Hard Drive

60.0GB (7200rpm) Ultra DMA Hard Drive

Floppy Drive

External USB 3.5" 1.44MB Floppy Drive

CD-ROM/DVD-ROM

8X DVD ± <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />

R/RW/+DL Combo Drive
with LightScribe Technology

Battery

12 Cell Smart Li-ION Battery

Modem

Integrated 56K V.90 Internal Fax/Modem

Network Adapter

Integrated 1000Mbps Ethernet LAN + Internal 802.11g Wireless LAN & Bluetooth Combo Module

TV-Tuner

TV-Tuner with Remote Control (Universal)

Operating System

Microsoft Windows XP Professional

Application Software

Microsoft Office 2003 Small Business Edition Package

Warranty

1-year standard warranty from Sager

Price

Total: $4,280.00

• 4 weeks later...

I had this built in January and have been very happy with it as an all round computer. Here are the basics:

Processor: P4 560 3.6G 1MB 800FSB

MOBO: AS-P5AD2-E-PRE Asus MOBO LGA 775 Intel 925XE Chipset

Ram: 2GB DDR2 533MHZ 4 x 512MB PC4300

Video Card: Asus AS-AX800XT-2DT Asus (ATI) Radeon X800XT 256MB 2xDVI PCI Express

Sound Card: Creative SBAUD2ZS 'Audigy2 ZS'

Hard Drive: Seagate Baraccuda ST34008-32AS SATA2 400GB 7200 RPM 8MB NCQ

Monitor: Viewsonic VP912B LCD 19" 12ms

Antec mid-tower Sonata

Enermax 600w Noise Taker PS

Pioneer DVR-108 DVD writer

LG 52x32x52 CD writer

Logitech MX-510 Optical mouse and Elite Keyboard.

Windows XP Pro

Office 2003 Pro

Symantec Norton Internet Security Suite

a bunch of other software....

• 2 weeks later...

Intel Pentium D 840, socket 775, dual core cpu.

Asus P5ND2-SLI.

2x leadtek geforce 7800GTX's.

4x Western digital carvier SE 300 gb drives in raid (0+1)

2xWestern Digital 10k 74 gb hdds.

Antec P180 case.

PC power and cooling 850 watt psu.

Corsair 4x 1 gig sticks of ram unbuffered 3200

Plextor PX-716AL/SW

Windows Professional 64x edition.

Audigy 2zs Platnium

Klipsch Promedia Ultras