What Separates Do You Have

S2KDDS

I am running a Outlaw 950 pre/pro with a B&K 200.7 s2 amp. After listening to a local setup with a 950 and adcom amps I was sold on separates.

Why? Sound quality, separation, center stage, and sound stage depth. It is so clear compared to my Denon AVR-3300 (105x5) their is no comparison. I hear things in the background of the music that simply were not there before with the 2 previous Denon AVR's I owned. Expecially in Jazz recordings. Don't get me wrong, I was pretty happy with the sound from the Denon, and was a little worried I wouldn't hear the money difference. It only took about 2 minutes with the separates, and I had no regret. My old Klipsch speakers NEVER sounded this good before. Everything is so alive now.

I figure processing changes every few years or so and I can change out the pre/pro and keep the amp for many years to come. I am only running 5 channel currently, but figured I might as well go with a 7 channel amp for future upgrades.

I think you will hear the same comment from people here after actually making the change to good quality separates. 2.gif

Enjoy!

John

NAD T163 AV Pre/Pro with a couple of DBX BXI Reference Configurable Amplifiers.

The two amps are running in 4-channel mode for 8 X 100W minimum.

Superior surround sound steering, no noise or heat from internal amplifiers and other additional internal circuits. More flexibility, dual independent subwoofer outputs, all the format choices and then some.

Nicholti,

I ordered a C-1 yesterday, because of you guys on the Home Theater Guide.

Now I'll see if it sounds as good as everyone says it does. I also bought it because it is the only processor out there that has two channels that I can program to use for my front effect speakers.

Are you coming over to help me set it up?

Sunfire Theater Grand IV Pre/Pro. Sounds great, looks great, simple to use. It is mated with 4 Carver TFM-25 2 channel amps for 8 X 225 Watts, though I only need 7 of the 8 channels. Hmmm, what to do with that other one.

I have loved the sound of the Carver TFM since the early 90s. Been thinking of a multi-channel HT amp, but can't really justify it.

I also like the idea of having separate power supplies and transformers for every two channels rather then one for 7 channels. Not sure if that really matters, but makes me sleep better at night. And hey, what looks cooler then a bunch of amps stacked up in a rack???2.gif

Rich, it does matter! The setup you currently have will be easily superior to a 7 channel amplifier that shares a single power supply and caps.

Some of the new amps out there are a joke on the inside! 7 channels and wimpy power supply and caps. The only one I have seen that is remotely worthy is the Sherborn 7/2100A or the Gemstone.

Here is what the inside of one of mine looks like, the two 3.4kW torroids are housed in the large metal casing in the front of the amp. Power is 400W X 2 or 400W X 1 and 100W X 2, or 100W X 4 keep in mind the 100W is underrated. It is capable of mind blowing current well below 1 ohm if called for.

BX1Mine.jpg

Cool, I am in good shape then. I don't have much of an electronics background, but my gut feeling was that 3 two channel amps just had to be better then 1 six channel amp. All other things being equal. I do have a lot of cords to keep pluged in and buttons to switch on. Sort of like launching the space shuttle when I power up for a movie.

Thanks for the input!

I have a Sunfire Signature Stereo amp (625x2 Ampzilla) on the RF-7s and a Sunfire Signature Cinema Grand (400x5). A Pioneer 59TXi is being used as a processor for the Advnced MCACC and i.link digital trandsfer of SACD and DVD-A.

The Sunfire claim to fame is that it doubles power output as the impedance drops in half. They do not require heat sinks due to running very cool. They do not waste electricity with a high voltage bias. I also like the fac that they are easier to lift than my Pioneer which weighs 68+ pounds. The Sunfires run the 40 pound zone and have much better power.

I do NOT use the current outputs, but the dual outputs are a nice feature. Sunfire's repair policy (low flat fee)

is also a plus once the warranty is up.

The only thing that I do not like on this setup is the global crossover and the crossover choices of 50 and 80 Hz with no 40 or 60 Hz options.

Bill

"I do have a lot of cords to keep pluged in and buttons to switch on."

Rich, you don't have a Panamax or similar unit to plug those amps into so when you turn on your preamp/receiver it turns everything else on? I push one button and everything else turns on, staggered too. Amps on last and off first.

"They do not require heat sinks due to running very cool."

He must be using digital or class D amplification in those. The user manual is very vague as to what type of amplification it is, no heatsinks, less power from wall - huh?

It also makes no mention of doubling down power with each 1/2 in impedance, or to what ohm load it is stable to. Hmmmmm.

It takes power to make power that is just physics. I have always liked Carver but something just does not add up. I hope he isn't still using that magnetic field amplification technology.

----------------

On 6/23/2005 12:37:29 PM Frzninvt wrote:

"I do have a lot of cords to keep pluged in and buttons to switch on."

Rich, you don't have a Panamax or similar unit to plug those amps into so when you turn on your preamp/receiver it turns everything else on? I push one button and everything else turns on, staggered too. Amps on last and off first.

----------------

I have a furman conditioner but everyting is just plugged into that. I have though about getting a sequencer of some type. Just have not...for now it is not that big of a deal to turn them on one at a time.