pb12 ultra 2 or thx 120

ballenone

sorry mistake the pb12 ultra 2 or the thx 120

i have the rf 7 set up and

i will be using the sub for movies and some music and im really not sure what to get. I hear alot about the svs yet ive heard the 120-thx my self and it sounded pretty good.

so really i just want to hear all your thoughts on each sub good and bad cause im ready to get one or the other but you guys will be the deciding factor

so let hear it...!!! what ever the verdict i hope you can help me decide

I hear a lot of good things about both. I think if the price is the same it's a toss-up. A pair of THX subs will get you more output at >20Hz, but the SVS is likely to get you more output lower. With regards to the clarity and the quality of the output, I think at this price point and with regards to these two excellent companies, I am not sure if there would be a noticeable difference.

RF7's are solid all the way to 40Hz and do not need any help in the punch departament.They have more punch most peeps can handle even in large rooms.Provided you use a quality power amp or at least a HUGE biggo receiver like the Demon 5800 and up.

Klipsch subs can add punch if cut higher,the RF7's do not need help,work great with subs cut low.here a SVS PB2-Ultra would work wonders.

I would try first with the Klipsch THX and see(hear)how you like the match.And if not 100% satisfied order a PB2-Ultra.

Or get the THX pair and PB2-Ultra 2.gif

----------------

On 6/29/2005 10:35:47 AM DrWho wrote:

The THX Ultra subs have output down to 15Hz...

----------------

Many subs can reach down low,the question is how linear is the output down to 15 or even 16Hz?

All subs are quite linear down to 40Hz,most quality ones down to 30Hz,then you have the select few who can claim linearity down to 20Hz.And there is very few who can sustain high output below 20Hz.

To measure the real linearity a sub should be tested near peak output from 80Hz down.Not at low level from 80Hz down.Many are quite linear at low output and start to slide when demand is increased(as the EQ cannot give the amp more power or the woofer greater excursion).

In any case the new Klipsch THX subs are very capable performers,as a pair they belong in the top ten subs priced in the reach of the audiophile with a few grand to spend.

Well the specs claim a -3dB point at 20Hz, which comes to about -12dB at 15Hz. The max SPL specs listed on the site are a bit misleading unless you want to limit your output to 112dB and get flat response down to 15Hz...the sub amplifier has a room gain knob that you can use to flatten the response.

I would bet the ultra2 subs have a ton less distortion than the SVS stuff.

You can't hear a difference in distortion. Like I said before in a blind test it is a toss up with my pb2-plus. I love both of them. I would say they are equal. Cost and looks are the difference. BTW I had 3 people pick the svs over the ultra 2's and they had no clue which sub was on.

Ultra 2's work great with RF-7's. And we just did a setup and measured the subs pretty linear to 15hz...it was a real surprise. Sound QUALITY is supurb on those subs.

If you have a big space, there is nothing better than the Sound Physics Labs B-Deap. Horn loaded, stupidly efficient and enough power to physically damage your room and kill small mammals. Runs about the same as an Ultra 2 setup but is FAR more powerful with sound quality that matches or even exceeds them. We sell them both.

----------------

On 7/8/2005 1:26:06 AM wheelman wrote:

How much are these Klipch sub thxers' going for? You have to buy a seperate amp also?

----------------

It'll run you about $4,000.00. That's for dual subs and the matched amplifier.