Surrounds for Fortes

bitece

I have a pair of Forte's for mains and an Academy center. I'm going to build a theater in my basement and looking at the planned room configuration it appears that I'll need to wall mount the surrounds. I have a pair of Heresy's that I was planning to use as rear surrounds but they're just too big to mount on the walls (at least where I'd have to mount them). What would be some decent matches for my Forte's? They will simply be used to reproduce surround effects. I don't plan on using them for any 5-channel music. I'm leaning towards a the RS series. Any ideas?

I am running a Forte-Academy front soundstage with RS3 surrounds, and am pretty pleased withh the results... the only reason I don't have RS7's is due to lack of space. For HT surround, the timbre imbalance with Reference surrounds is IMHO not noticeable, and I am pretty picky about that sort of thing, having gone through two other center channels before getting the Academy.

imo during movies its hard to hear the difference in timbre from front to back. concentrate on the front three try what youve got on hand. see if you like it. I had those little athenas from best buy and the only time I really notice the difference is with the avia disk. My room is super small 11'x14' or so and I couldnt use another pair of fortes or quartets like I want to.

I think the KG2.5 would be great since they are fairly cheap to get from places like Ebay.

That, or what about some bookshelfs from the Synergy line? They should be fairly inexpensive and they would be new. You mentioned a movies only role for the surrounds, so I figured this would be a good option as well.

If space is tight, then surrounds from the KG 2.2/2.5 or KG 1.2/1.5 series would work fairly well. There is nothing small that is an exact timbre match for Fortes, but many of us have used (currently or at one time) the 2.2/2.5 or 1.2/1.5 with nice results. You should be able to get a pair of those on Ebay for about $150 or less.

It doesn't seem like there are many fans of dispersion surround speakers. Surround speakers always seem so under-utilized. I'm actually kind of happy that I won't be using the Heresy's as surrounds-- they deserve better.

If they must be mounted on a wall, I would not recommend KG 2.5 or anything with a rear port. You would be mounting the port against the wall. If heresy's would be too big, how about some KG1 which are not ported. Maybe even rb-25, 35, or 75 which are front ported.