AC Problems

cjmice1

I'm having a problem with my Proceed D/A converter turning off during times of elevated electrical use in the house. This is most notable when the central ac is running. Can anyone recommend a power conditioner that would remedy the problem. As long as I'm making the purchase, I would also like line filtering capability from the same device.

"What do you mean DJK ?"

It is not likely that that AC and the stereo are on the same circuit.

In that case it would make no difference to the stereo even it you ran 00 into it.

Either the drop from the pole to the house, or the transformer on the pole is underated. The voltage at the box should be monitored. It is not likely that the utility company will help.

My folks had a similar situation a few years back. Code would not allow them to up-grade the panel box without a new drop. A new drop was not allowed unless burried. The entire neighborhood had to be re-done, trees ripped out, etc.

It took years to get everybody to agree to do it.

In the mean time voltage fluctuations caused computer crashes from low voltage, lightbulbs to blow out from over voltage, and their old TV blew up. Their new TV blew up twice within 90 days.

In the mean time I installed a Sola ferro-resonant constant voltage transformer at the box. Things like a Triplite or a Furman with a stepped autoformer with automatic switching are not fast enough. The Sola units are quite expensive new. I got a used one from a factory production line that was being re-modeled and replaced the capacitor.

PS audio makes a power re-generator that will run all the front end gear. Large amps won't run off these (unless you really spend $$$).

not sure what this particular piece of apperatus is called , can check with your local a/c contractor but its suppose to limit voltage drop when unit starts up.and is installed in a/c unit.stop lights from blinking.if drom from power company shows sign of damage they will replace drop. 10.gif

For anyone who is wondering, a standard hard start kit is nothing more than a motor start capacitor for the compressor. They should be standard on systems that run on single phase power, like household units, but don't seem to be anymore. If you decide to get one, be aware that they retail for somewhere around $25 and take only a few minutes to install but it is likely that your local air conditioning contractor will try to charge you a lot of money for one. If you don't have one, I suggest you get one, if for no other reason than to prolong the life of your compressor. Should reduce, but not eliminate the voltage drop seen elsewhere in the house on start up of the AC. Might or might not help with you D/A converter problem.

A ferro-resonant transformer at the D/A converter would likely fix the problem if it is due to input voltage. So should a dual conversion or line interactive UPS with a reasonable output waveform. Not cheap though, but quick, easy, and maybe cheaper than fixing the cause of the low input voltage. Nice thing about a transformer is that it doesn't add any of its own noise to the line and naturally attenuates noise coming into it.

"WE don't know all the Fact's here, do we ..??

is the voltage drop only on the branch circut, or ..

does it also show at the service ..??

without those readings, All is Speculation, now isn't it ..?"

I covered all of that and more in my post. Suggest you re-read.

----------------

On 6/25/2005 10:45:06 PM T3K wrote:

----------------

On 6/25/2005 7:48:26 AM cjmice1 wrote:

I'm having a problem with my Proceed D/A converter turning off during times of elevated electrical use in the house. This is most notable when the central ac is running. Can anyone recommend a power conditioner that would remedy the problem. As long as I'm making the purchase, I would also like line filtering capability from the same device.
----------------

Longtime lurker but could resist this question . . . lot's of little life's experiences if that counts (big smile . . .you need move to Canada with the Canucks . . . them Canucks have 50 hertz and I ain't talking no rental car honey . . . one of my gentelman callers was from da' land of mosquito and moose. . . no good needelneck but sure could dance the watusi like it was no tomorrow (heavy sigh) . . . he turned out AC/DC but ain't never had no problem-os with his converter at 50 hertz if you take my meaning (big grin hint)

----------------

You're pretty funny. Especially for a 3 year old....LOL

I've never had the problem.

If I did, I'd try a UPS systems which are used for computers. Another problem which I've not investigated.

Their main purpose is to give you five minutes of time to shut down the computer when the lights go out. But they address brown outs too. It sounds like you've got mini, local brown outs.

Others here may know more and have more experience. It seems to me like a trip to CompUSA is easier than rewireing the house. OTOH, this may be a sign that the house wiring needs attention.

Gil

The root problem does sound like issues from the power pole and the house side of same. For a quick fix, I would echo the UPS option. You can get a smaller unit that will provide enough power boost for a temp brownout from Rat Shack for about $50. It is a cheep option and you could take it back if it did not help.

Short of providing more EMF to the house to cover the starting of the A/C unit, I think this would probably be a cost effective solution.

I had similar type of power problems when we first moved into our "Old House".

my problems (and quite possibly yours) had little if anything to do with the supplied power coming in off the pole...my problem was that the old house only had 60 amp service.

an upgrade to 200 amp service complete with a new meter base and drop from the pole mounted transformer with a new underground feed was the cure . . . all for less then $900

----------------

On 6/27/2005 8:24:29 AM Petrol wrote:

I had similar type of power problems when we first moved into our "Old House".

my problems (and quite possibly yours) had little if anything to do with the supplied power coming in off the pole...my problem was that the old house only had 60 amp service.

an upgrade to 200 amp service complete with a new meter base and drop from the pole mounted transformer with a new underground feed was the cure . . . all for less then $900

----------------

Your post is what I intended to communicate without going into details. I have a little experience with industrial and household wiring and the whole system needs to be addressed.

The power supplying company will most likely have enough power to the pole but not necessarily. If you are at the end of a run in an older section of development, the electrical needs were different years ago and there might not be enough power available at the pole, or the transformer on the pole is not large enough to handle the power needs now being asked of it. When I upgraded the service to my home ($30 for the permit and $100 + - for the equipment) the power company had to come out and survey the equipment they had installed to make sure it would handle the additional load.

Next, the wires from the pole (service drop) may not be large enough to handle the increase in demand and they may need to be upgraded also. Then again you will need a new meter box and main panel. All of these things need to be addressed as a system, not just a new panel in the house.

Now there is the issue of the wires feeding the A/C unit. If they are too small you will get an excessive voltage drop and thus you will draw more current to start the compressor than is on the name plate. BTW, starting current for an electrical motor (compressor) will be about 200% of the name plate rating when under load. When it comes to wires feeding such a load, bigger is better, to a point. I always go one size larger with wires than the code requirement for the load. It is cheep insurance to prevent trouble later.

Short of all the work involved above (which will need to be done someday) a UPS should provide the necessary boost in voltage to cover the starting of the A/C unit. You still have the issue of noise on the AC lines but that can be covered with a filter. The best UPS devices I understand provide an isolated AC circuit for anything they are connected to, not just a boost or replacement voltage in a black or brown out.