Most musical sub

Klipschguy

Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend a sub that could be blended with my Cornwalls (will be run full range) to fill in the low bottom end? I have quite a big room and my Cornwalls could use just a little help. Note: they're already in the corners and bass is good - just want a little more punch. I want the sub almost exclusively for music.

I do not want a round sub - to much "knock over" potential with my kids. I'm really wondering about the HSU VTF2 (you know the square one). A flabby sub with a ton of home theater bass is the antithesis of what I'm looking for. Gosh, I'm almost tempted to get a KSW15 and give it just enough volume to fill in the low bass - would that work? Please help if you can.

Warm regards,

KG

Sorry, Klipschguy, the KSW-15 can't pull that kind of load... I know from personal experience. Better wait for the new K-subs and see what they can do... our friendly K-minions and the few Forum members that have heard them sure think they will do the trick. Meanwhile, I'll just keep enjoying the "rounds" with the most musical subs I have ever owned. cwm35.gif HornEd

------------------

"Where Legends Live! Klipsch Powered HT"

FOREGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 Center, KLF 30 Mains, KLF 10 Front Effects

BACKGROUND SOUND STAGE:

KLF 30 L&R Side/Surrounds, KLF 30 Rear Effects

LARGE MOUTH BASS:

Twin SVS CS-Ultra sub with Samson Megawatt Amp

SPEAKER SUPPORT SYSTEMS:

Mitsubishi RPHD1080i 65", Yamaha RX-V3000 Receiver

Toshiba Pro Scan 6200, Toshiba Pro 6-head SVHS W808

and such... Tweakin' On!

Music Respite Room: Cornwalls & SVS 16-46/Ultra

Klipsched Motor Home SB2's, KLF C-7, ???, Yamaha 5-disc DVD/CD 996,

Under Construction

Ray,

I would like to spend $600 or less - there's got to be a good sub in that range. I'm seriously considering building one - I can build a great sub for under $500, so I'm not too eager to dole out huge bucks. For similar dollar amounts, however, I would much rather just buy it.

HornEd,

More precisely (sil vous plait), how does the KSW15 sound with the Cornwalls? Have you tried it with the Cornwalls running full range?

Others,

Any experience with the HSU unit? Other recommendations?

Thanks,

KG

The HSU VTF2 will do the trick,inexpensive and has plenty of output for HT.I dont like it as a music sub,its ok but not to TheEAR(s) standard.

I guess for $600 or less this is about as good as it gets.

Wait a minute the Paradigm PW2200 comes to mind!This great sub can be had for $600 and less with ease.The PW2200 outperforms the HSU VTF2 on music.Both have a BIG output when you consider the price.

Still for me only the Aerial Acoustics SW12 does the trick with music.Its like a SVS Ultra with much better finish(cabinet),the Revel B15 and Sunfires subs provide the HT impact! Smile.gif

Oups overboard again! :P

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Since y'all are on the subject: I understand that there is a benefit to the midrange to have the lower two octaves reproduced well. I'm strictly a music/2-channel freak at this time, and I'm curious about how much the rest of the frequency range will be benefited by the addition of a sub.

Also, how much of a difference will adding a sub for each channel make, as opposed to just one sub for both channels?

That Aerial Acoustics sub is definitely pretty. Haven't heard it yet, though....

Thanks for the beta!

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

pb, i believe most of the benefit comes from the crossover point to the mains (& others for surround).

by using a sub crossover or bass mgmt in a preamp section u can take out the lower current sapping frequencies to those speakers. thereby should make the mids & highs of those speaks more dynamic.

I have an SVS 20-39cs and Cornwalls. The SVS is very transparent and one of the most musical subs I have heard. It blends very nicely with the Cornwalls.

Laters,

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

I'd second the PW-2200 recommendation. It worked well with my LaScalas (bettered only by the Servo-15 at almost twice the price). But, at least here, it's more like $700. "10% off is the best I can do for you, sir..." Smile.gif

I also agree that the new RSW's will be contenders, but even the 10's going to be close to a grand.

Ross

------------------

"Time flies like an arrow.

Fruit flies like a banana."

pb, i'm guessing for stereo you'd be using the subs in line w/ each of your your mains & thereby using the sub(s) crossover control(s). of course many varibles but if you're only sending like below 60hz or lower to the sub(s), then from an audio material standpoint that bass most likely will be nondirectional to u & not do anything for soundstage or imaging anyway.

so where u place the subs is i think more dependent on your room & your preferences. i'd still hook up 2 subs independent to each channel, but room placement is the most important. if u could put each sub by each main speaker & that sounds as good to you or same as fe putting both subs in the same corner, then go for that.

a lot depends though on your room characteristics, space availability, & ears.

but to really answer your ? Biggrin.gif 2 subs i think won't do anything for soundstage or imaging. as i subjectively know it that comes from directional sound. but they should give u a bigger quantity of bass.

This message has been edited by boa12 on 09-12-2001 at 03:31 PM

Thanks for the beta!

If the imaging and soundstage aren't gonna benefit much, I suspect it's more sensible to spend the second sub's price on a better single sub.

I'm not that excited about bass in music (in HT it seems critical), but there are certain passages of even soft, mellow music that appear to be begging for a couple more octaves. This gap in my system is nudging this neurotic hobby into relapse. However, it seems I should improve my digital and speakers before raisin' the roof with a sub.

What do y'all think? (remember: music is the goal, not HT)

Onkyo Integra cd carousel (6 discs)

Kimber silver streak interconnects

VTL IT-85 integrated amp

Kimber 8tc biwired cable

RF-3's

I definitely want to taste a mid-range horn before I do anything else with the speakers department. Mmmmmmmm... department....

------------------

May the bridges we burn light our way....

Sorry to hear that a round sub my be a bit hazardous with the little ones. Because I too like the musical presence of my SVS 20-39cs. I still use my KSW-12; it's paralleled with my front mains. The KSW just did not provide adequate presence after adding the second set of Cornwalls to the rear. I needed an immediate improvement and did not want to wait for the new Klipsch Subs. I'm thoroughly pleased with the musical and HT performance of the SVS. Its performance is so good that I've got 2 Heresy/Cornwall fronts, 2 Cornwall/RS-3 rears and an Academy Center set to small. It's too bad you can't find a safe corner placement for consideration of SVS Sub.

Wes

-------------------------------------------------------

Main System Setup

NAD T 761 Receiver (Pre-outs to Outlaw)

Outlaw 750 5 Channel Amp

Klipsch Cornwalls (Front w/Outlaw)

Klipsch Heresy's (Front w/NAD)

Klipsch Academy (Center w/NAD)

Klipsch Cornwall (V) II's (Rear w/Outlaw)

Klipsch RS-3's (Rear w/NAD)

SVS SV20-39CS SUB (NAD 2400THX Bridged)

Klipsch KSW-12 (Sub)

Klipsch RF-3's (NAD T 761 "B" Channel)

Denon DVM-3700 DVD

Sony CDP-CA80ES

Sony MiniDisk Deck MDS-JE320

Mitsubishi Stereo VCR

Mitsubishi 52" Wide Screen

Sony Remote Commander RM-AV2100

Monster Cable HTS-3500 Audio/Video Power Conditioner

Bedroom HT Setup

Onkyo TX-DS484

Sony DVP-530D

Sony Dual Cassette Deck

Phillips Magnavox 27'

Klipsch Quintets (Front, Center & Surrounds)

Infinity SubWoofer

3rd System Setup - Listening Only

Sony Prologic Receiver STR-D1015

Sony CassetteTC-K444esII

DAK Stereo Power Controller

Technics Turntable SL-D2

Klipsch Walnut Quartet's

Klipsch Walnut KG2.2V Center

Thanks for the input guys. Maybe a round sub wouldn't be too tippy - I'll have to check into it. It sounds like a round design has definite sonic advantages over the ubiquitous cube. I just kind of have this vision of a relatively small sub hidden beside my couch or disguised in a corner. Of course, sound is the most important factor. Anyone out there like M&K? I know some people who swear by them (as opposed to at them).

KG

Hey Klipschguy - I've got a KSW15 running with my Cornwalls and it's ok. I mean, it performs well, but I find myself constantly re-adjusting it depending upon whether I'm playing music or watching movies. For HT explosions & stuff it does a fine job, but seems kinda mushy when playing music. But it will do until I'm able to sneek an SVS in under the cloak of darkness. Smile.gif

Tom Adams

• 4 weeks later...

Not sure if I can reccommend this for just anyone. Kind of like killing a bird with one big, awkward boulder, but here goes:

I stumbled into a solution for my Heresys the other day when I was switching and combining parts from my systems (all the way down to drivers in some cases..but that's another story). I have a pair of RP-3 which if you remember, have a sealed powered subwoofer (400+ watt peak, 27hz to 90hz). I also have a pair of Heresys that I have tried with a couple of KSW subs (10" and 12"). They didn't sound good with the KSWs. On this night, I decided to experiment with combining the Heresys with the Rp-3s. I run my main speakers with a 200 watt Rotel amp through MIT Terminator 2 bi-amp wires. The MIT wires lead to the speaker (after their special network box) with two sets of leads. One marked for the lower octaves, and the other for the higher. I had been using these wires for the Bi-Wire capabilities of the Rp-3s. Unplugging the upper octave leads from the Rp-3s and running them instead to the Heresys, I found that I had stumbled upon the best sounds I had heard from a speaker in many years (IRS Betas included). The RP-3s have always been somewhat heavy with the bass and never quite had the slam of a traditional Klipsch product in the upper end. The Heresys as you know, are more Bass challenged than almost any Klipsch product (excluding most of the new small klipsch offerings), but use essentially the same drivers as the Cornwall for the upper octaves. The combination of the best parts from the two offer an incredible sounding package. I'm not sure what I'm doing to my Amp or the Bi wires(impedance). I'm also not sure if this would sound good with the Cornwall (since Cornwall is a ported speaker).

------------------

Denon AVR-2700

Denon DCD1500-II

Audio Control Octave

Phillips CDR-765

Nakamichi BX-100

Sony PS-LX3

Rotel RB-991

Klipsch Heresy (1981)

Klipsch RP-3

B&W602

MIT Terminator2 Bi-Wire

Computer system:

NAD 7130

Realistic Optimus Pro-7s (its only a computer system)

Klipsch KSW-10