FREE PIPE ORGAN THRILL

DRBILL

Download this and burn it to disk and really give you equipment a test.

http://www.sonicstudios.com/theatre.htm

This is a rare (assembled) WurliTzer pipe organ that is complete in every way --including the "toy counter" and going down to 32' or 16hz.

And keep in mind ...this is entirely an "amateur" volunteer undertaking. Digital recording up close!

Trust me ---this is worth your time.

DR BILL

Ok, Just got off the phone with Dr Bill, and he said all three of them are good. Theres quite a few at the bottom too, but I havent got the chance to check those out. I did listen to the first song on the Heresys and sub, and it sure does get deeeeeeep. Hope this helps, David.

The track "Intro: Organ Grinder/Long Pipes gives an interesting high and low frequency demonstration. The highest frequency this Wurlitzer organ can hit is 8000 hz, the lowest 16 hz. What's interesting - he did the bass test with and without harmonics. Without harmonics, 32 hz is loud - then he starts to go down. Non-harmonic Low G is about the lowest usable with my Klipsch speakers - It wasn't so much heard as felt - at that frequency the entire back of the couch I was sitting on was trembling and resonating. It was VERY cool.

Another good track is Mozart's "For Barrel Organ" for organ you can feel. Be cautioned though - this recording has nearly 50 db of dynamic range - during the quiet parts, the power meters were bouncing between a paltry 1/500 and 1/50 of a watt, but during the conclusion, it pushed my system to about -3 db (~93 watts per channel) :) Love this stuff.

----------------

On 6/27/2005 6:48:59 PM triode wrote:

There seems to be a number of links on the webpage. Which one has the recording you are referring to? - thanks.
----------------

I was pointing toward the three in the body of the site. What were they? Joplin, Christmas, Burning Rome?

If you don't mind investing more time and CD's, there are perhaps nine more at the bottom that have real merit. I particularly like this because it is free, legal, and exceptionally well done.

DR BILL

----------------

On 6/27/2005 9:09:17 PM Malcolm wrote:

Very nice, Dr. Bill, but don't all those 1s and 0s mess up your system?

----------------

I have special software that translated mine to 2s and 3s much higher quality.

Downloaded today, and was a bit disappointed to find it as mp3. However, after transcoding to wav and burning a CD, I think it has promise. With all my gear back in Texas except my Infinity car system, that was all I had. Definitely had to cut the bass back. Certainly not much lost in the mp3 dehydration process there. Looking forward to giving a go on the 'horns at home.

Couldn't tell from the site what became of it...be a crying shame if the thing were dismantled or lost. Also, they mentioned (and ears confirm) that there was no acoustic space in the the room at all. This beastie needs a LOT of space to sound it's best. Tempting to try a bit of DSP on it, but I've never had it do more good than harm yet...

Anyway, good steer, Dr. Bill. Thanks for the tip. Recommended, especially at the price.

----------------

On 6/28/2005 8:02:13 PM Mallette wrote:

Couldn't tell from the site what became of it...be a crying shame if the thing were dismantled or lost.
----------------

It saddens the heart. The pizza business closed and the organ was parted out. I know the feeling. Charlotte and I donated a pipe organ to our parish --one that I had built. After I retired, the new rector decided that he preferred "praise" music accompanied by a keyboard! I had exactly two weeks to move it. A major national organ builder took it for free with the understanding that it would be kept intact. They didn't keep their word and parted it out. I'm too old to harbor grudges.

Unfortunatly, I'm stuck with memories. Sometimes senility seems strangely attractive!

BILL

AAAAARRRRRGGHHH! I did NOT want to hear that!!!! It's CRIMINAL. As to your parish, I'd have found a new one, maybe a new God.

Just last spring I completed three years as co-chair of my parish organ committee. It was quite a journey, but the results are extraordinary. Go to http://www.insystechim.com/Organ/index.htm if you like an audio sample...and you'll understand why I am so into building acoustics. This instrument was descibed by one noted expert as "perhaps in the top 5% of instrument to acoustic coupling" and other great things have been said as well. You'll note in the specification that space is reserved to finish it out to full polyphony with a choir and solo division if we can get this part paid for.

I am working now with the Perot Theater, a historic theater in Texarkana restored by Ross and family, and Dallas Organ Works to restore the original Robert Morton to it's place there. This will take a long time as well, but it is my intention to both document the process on video as well as do a surround DVD-A of the opening celebration when it comes.

Man, I am still hurting seeing the barbarian hordes descending on that great instrument with hammers.

Too early for a beer, dangit.

Dave

Thank yu for the steer DRBILL. I downloaded and CD'd and just played all through my Klipschorns plus Belle plus Velodyne 1500 subwoofer plus RS35 surrounds 7.1 system. Pretty impressive. It's the most impressive bass demonstration that I think I possess, and that's saying something.

Through it all the speaker array just "loafed" at close to even painful volumes. NO distortion from the speakers themseves. Standing up behind my sofa to soak it all in I felt the floor joists trembling beneath my feat. Images of nails being worked loose came into my head.

The organ Sousa "Stars and Stripes" played loud through that speaker array was to die for. Enveloping, penetrating, visceral, exhilarating.

Thanks again!

----------------

On 6/29/2005 9:24:38 PM DTLongo wrote:

The organ Sousa "Stars and Stripes" played loud through that speaker array was to die for. Enveloping, penetrating, visceral, exhilarating.

----------

DTL,

You make a good point. Do you ever get the feeling that on "professional" recordings, all the excitement has been "mixed" away and homogenized? When I was in the pipe organ business (right after the earth cooled) I did quite a lot of on-site recordings with a half-track Ampex stereo deck and a pair of Sure Model 300 Studio Microphones (ribbon, bi-directional). The figure-eight pattern allowed me to capture the "room" as I worked fairly close to the instruments.

When I got home and played it back, it sounded like it sounded live.

The fellow who recorded the "Organ Grinder" WurliTzer did an astoundingly fine job.

BILL

One organ reference CD I have is the famous Telarc #CD-80051 of the Saint-Saens Organ Symphony #3. That's good, but the deep stuff on the "Organ Grinder" sampling grabs even more.

I should add that run by themselves on the Organ Grinder material without the sub, the mighty Klipschorns give an good account on their own with their big, clear sound down to their rated limit of 35 cps. But one can sense the lack of the bottom stuff lower. The Velodyne sub, which needs its volume control to be BARELY cracked to perhaps the 8:30 position, really does add to the Khorns way down there. Still, the 16 Hz. demo was inaudible, at least in my room. It's hardly missed, though, on the regular program material. (I wonder if the MP3 encoding just didn't register 16 Hz.)