RF-7 grills question

Nicu

----------------

On 6/28/2005 5:55:53 PM nicholtl wrote:

People just aren't being careful and letting the little pegs snap. Granted, they're not exactly industrial strength, but so long as you don't keep removing the grills for cheap kicks, you should be ok.

----------------

I am with Nicholtl, the grills on my RF 7's remain on 99 percent of the time. The only time the grills are removed is if I want the "Wow" factor from my unsuspecting friends. Afterall, the cerametallic cones are quite mesmerizing to the uninitiated.

I've had some break and the warranty covered them through my dealer. I was not careless with mine, it's really a flimsy design. I should know as I am a plastics designer. However, please correct me if I am wrong, it is my understanding that the newer RF-7s have redesigned grilles that are now retained with magnets. A more robust design.

If any of yours are broken I recommend you consult your dealer. They should replace them just as mine did.

Sorry...no the RF-7 and RF-5 did not go through any re-design and do not use magnetic grills.

The Reference III line was expanded a few years back with some more affordable floorstanding models and the bookshelf speakers were expanded and revised (RB-3 and RB-5's were revised).

All of the Ref III speakers got a new Tractrix Horn molded into a new front baffle and hey, while we were at it, we started using the really cool magnetic grills.

Most any new revision or new speaker model moving forward will most likely have the magnetic grills.

• Like 1

I can't believe the grills are still being discussed, but since they are - I'll put in my 2 cents. As long as you don't try removing the entire grill at one time, by pulling from the very top, you should be just fine. Gently remove the top pegs, then the middle pegs, then finally the lower pegs. Presto - grill removed with no problem. Great floating design. In other words, just use some common-sense while removing them. Yes, plastic is plastic, and it will snap if you do not exercise a reasonable degree of caution.

I would stay away from the magnets, unless they are designed so as not to rattle at high SPL's. I seem to recall my prior RB-35's rattling on occaision. (although in all fairness, perhaps it was just my bookcases - glad I had them all ripped out so I could accomodate some RF-7s). Bottom line - If plastic pegs are the biggest concern we have with these speakers, boy aren't we a lucky

group of speakerphiles.9.gif