Need help with noisy pot!

MD1032

Well, I'm planning to get some B3's sometime soon hopefully and I figure I'll just use the old Pioneer SX-3700 amp we have in our basement that used to get used a lot. We used it not too long ago for turntable recording and now it's back in the basement. The only real problem with it is that the volume pot is disgustingly noisy. Even a slight turn will send a DEAFENING crackling sound into the speakers or anything plugged into the thing. Other than that, there aren't any L/R offset problems or anything with the pot, and the rest of the amp functions fine as far as I can see.

So how can I clean this thing? I'm sure I'll be able to crack it open, but rdmarsiii mentioned I can get this stuff called "deoxy" that I can spray in it that will clean it out. "deoxy" sounds like deoxidation, which would make sense, since it is old and probably oxidized a good deal. Still, he said I can get this stuff and Radio Shack, but not even google can find any trace of this so-called "deoxy". Any help?

Ya you need too clean all of the pots on the old receiver. Use Caig deoxit D5 you can buy it at parts express it is a web sight. Radio shack might sell caig deoxit but I think it is a real small can and exspensive. You need to take the cabinet off the receiver and also most likly the bottom cover there will be small holes in the volume pot and all other controls, spray the caig deoxit into the pots and rotate the heck out of them a bunch. Do this too all of the pots, let receiver sit for a few hours too dry a bit and then fire it up I bet it will take care of the problem.

When I have noisy, crackly pot, I take a bit of apple peel and put it in the baggy. In a couple of days, it's nice, moist, and quiet. 3.gif

Seriously, and good tuner cleaner will do the job if the pot has any openings to get it into. Just spray it thoroughly and operate it vigorously for 50 or so full turns in both directions. Repeat as necessary. If it is completely sealed, you'll need advice I ain't got.

Dave

I've got a 17 year old Hafler 110 preamp with the same problem, and the static noise was horrendous coming out of the Forte's. The volume pot is the culprit on this one, as I deoxitized the whole shebang last year, but I had it all hooked back up and found that it was still noisy.

I may take Gil's advice and drill a tiny hole in it if I can't penetrate the sealed control.

NP - GOVT MULE - Live at Roseland Ballroom, new years eve, 1995

----------------

On 6/28/2005 7:55:24 PM Mallette wrote:

When I have noisy, crackly pot, I take a bit of apple peel and put it in the baggy. In a couple of days, it's nice, moist, and quiet.
3.gif

----------------

Orange peel usually quiets it down for me better...

Most of the time cleaning a pot will not last. It will start becoming noisy later on driving you nuts. The only sure way is to replace it. It's noisy because its cheap and worn out. Cleaning it will not put the carbon back. The only pots I know of that don't get noisy are wirewound five and ten turn precision made units and they are expensive. Good luck.

JJK

Most of the time cleaning a pot will not last. It will start becoming noisy later on driving you nuts. The only sure way is to replace it. It's noisy because its cheap and worn out. Cleaning it will not put the carbon back. The only pots I know of that don't get noisy are wirewound five and ten turn precision made units and they are expensive. Good luck.

JJK

I have had great luck cleaning the pots on my old receivers, a sansui G-7700, SANSUI 8080. I have done several of my friends old receivers also and not one of them is noisy this has been over two years ago. Again all of these pots had holes or slots in them to spray the Caig deoxit in I had too drill no holes, I havent ran into that problem yet of drilling holes.I use too use that crappy radio shack tuner cleaner years past and it wouldnt last but about 6 months and the noisy controlls would come back. once I found out about Caig deoxit that has done wonders for me.

MD1032, SOMETIMES YOU HAVE TOO TAKE THE HOLE FACEPLATE OFF AND SOME BOARDS OUT TOO GET TOO THOSE CONTROLS AND POTS. Just be carefull and you can get the deoxit job done, I dont think you will find parts for your old pioneer. Just my 2 cents worth.

All right, well I'm taking it apart tomorrow, so I'll let you know what things look like once I get to the pots. I don't have any deoxit handy, though, I went to Home Depot today and they didn't have it. I'll have to go up to Radio Shack. In the meantime, I can at least dust the inside out. There's a good 3 mm of dust on the top of the two biggest caps!!

Well, you're not going to believe this, but it fixed itself. One minute it's making disgusting loud crackling sounds, 50 full turns left and right later, it's clean as a whiste. I guess I didn't need that stuff after all. It's ho today and I don't much feel like bringing this sucker outside to clean it out due to the weather, so for now it's back in the basement and 100% operational!

Oddly enough, my parents have the original box and everything. The amp comes with three manuals. One has the location of every certified Pioneer repair center (at least when this was printed), one has a complete schematic of the entire receiver's circuit design, and one is a general manual.