Will KHorns Rock?

I.T. Guy

Put those two Cornwalls in the middle (center channel to each one) and you will rock with the K-horns in the corners. Feed the center with separate amps.

You will be kool. Set your main control to PL II-C.

JJK

----------------

On 6/29/2005 11:17:38 AM I.T. Guy wrote:

I will keep in mind the poor recordings. Sounds like the KHorns will help me clear out my bad cd's even more than the Corns have already done.

----------------

My Belles are the same way unforgiving of bad recordings but thats ok because it also makes good recordings just bloom. I love it~! Hell yeah horny baby 11.gif

Thanks Guys. I appreciate all the feedback. Unfortunately I dont have enough room to have more than 1 set of speakers in that room. I would have to move the corns to another room and put the KHorns in their place.

I have a Fisher x-100 I got from my Brother (Spaaaz)that I am currently using. Going to be getting a HK 730 soon.

Kevin

----------------

On 6/29/2005 5:41:12 PM I.T. Guy wrote:

...Unfortunately I dont have enough room to have more than 1 set of speakers in that room...

----------------

Corns fit nicely sitting directly in front of Khorns!!! 11.gif

----------------

On 6/29/2005 7:57:38 PM scriven wrote:

----------------

On 6/29/2005 5:41:12 PM I.T. Guy wrote:

...Unfortunately I dont have enough room to have more than 1 set of speakers in that room...

----------------

Corns fit nicely sitting directly in front of Khorns!!!
11.gif

----------------

They fit perfectly.

----------------

On 6/29/2005 2:42:19 PM Mallette wrote:

Well, Doctor, it would be metaphysically absurd to dispute what you hear, so I won't. From your discription, I suspect I'd do without those disks or play them on Bose.

I consider "post" as part of "recording" and consider too much compression to be a bad recording.

In general, your experiences sound to me like what I LIKE about 'horns. As to what kind of music I listen to, it is all kinds meeting the 4 points made earlier. That includes acoustic recordings made as far back as 1918, all forms of jazz, all periods of classical, ethnic, rock, pop...I've no limits as long it meets those 4 points. When it does, it sounds BEST on 'horns.

That's my experience, and I am grateful for it.

1. Poor composition

2. Poor performance

3. Poor recording

4. Poor reproduction

----------------

Well just to rock the boat, I bet there are recordings out there that shine their best on Bose...ok so maybe that is a bit of a stretch (ew ew ew).

Your 4 points are rather interesting though and I think that's why we prob have different opinions. For me, it all starts and ends with the music itself. I would even go so far as to say that I don't even mind if it's not performed well and recorded poorly - but ONLY IF it was performed with emotion. Of course I would enjoy listening to the music more if I had a good recording of a perfect performance, but only if the emotion aspect was at the same level. I cannot stand the new slew of "technically correct" recordings that have the life just sucked out of them. Perhaps colterphoto will chime in here and word it better as I know he totally feels the same way. I love hanging out at his place because he always takes me on rock history tours where we just listen to all sorts of great music...I'd say most of the recordings were of mediocre (often live) performances that could totally have been mixed way better - but I'm not really distracted by these things because the music itself has got that soul to it that just rocks hard. Ya know, I wonder if colter thinks he's boring me because I just sit still when I listen to music and soak it all up, whereas he's the kind of guy that likes to jump around the room rocking it out 2.gif

Anyways, a better playback system does improve the listening experience...so it's not like I'm against improving my system. Though I should probably say that I'm always looking to improve the playback of my music; putting the emphasis on the fact that the system needs to increase enjoyment of my source material, not take away from it (which has been my experience with khorns). For me it seems the khorns are a step back so in my situation I would go so far as to say that the cornwalls are a better speaker (especially considering that they're cheaper).

On good recordings though, the khorns wipe the floor with the cornwalls. I was over at artto's place listening to music and it was one of the only times that I've had a physical reaction from the system's shear ability to fake me out. We were listening to some very carefully performed recordings and I closed my eyes getting wrapped up in the sound. When I opened them again I became very disoriented from actually expecting to be in another venue. I became very dizzy and even a bit natious. In fact it scared the crap out of me because for that split second it felt like the room was caving in because the walls were so close compared to what I was hearing. I think artto has something like 10,000 cds, yet he only listens to about 100 of them. I prob got the numbers wrong, but the point is that khorns severely limit what you can listen to. He's got a ton of great music sitting there that he just doesn't listen to because they sound like crap on his system, but it was a sacrifice he was willing to make.

A friend of mine used to run his Khorns with this:

e-408.jpg

Triple parallel push-pull output stage delivers high power: 180 watts per channel into 8 ohms

Preamplifier and power amplifier with MCS topology and current feedback

Logic-control relays permit straight and short signal paths

Tone control circuits

Ample power supply with high-capacity R-toroidal transformer

Option board slots provide capability for digital signal input or analog record playback

Did it rock?

Neighbours used to call him up with requests! He could get an easy 115 dB plus at the listening position (Rat shack digital C weighting).

big....big sound

Hey Doc, I learned not to get in to a pissin match with you a long time ago 2.gif

Just one thing...I STARTED with the music, if you'll recall.

1. POOR COMPOSITION.

I cannot think of any kind of music for anywhere at anytime that does not have "composition" that may be bad. If that is the case the other three are irrelevant.

Dave