Scott 299c vs. Hk430

Will the scott surpass the hk430 in sound reperduction. I know the scott is tube rectified which i like and I would love to have tubes but i'm wondering the sound quilty compared the the hk 430 i already have...plus how does it compare to the new tube intergrates from jolida...is it worth getting and for what price

CTP

FWIW, I found that my 299b bettered my Jolida 302b ("modded" by underwoodwally). It also has a SUPERB phono stage, which is very important to me. For a time, the Jolida displaced the Scott, but the bottom line is I still own the Scott.

I just got my Scott biased and set up this evening and it sounds great. I don't have any way to compare it to the hk430, but it is as sweet a sound when listening to an LP, as my bottlehead set up when listening to CDs. speakers are Khorns.

but remember, a bird in the hand, ...

Any Scott tube integrated, if in reasonable shape, will absolutely mop the floor with the HK 430. I've been there. I've A/Bed (with the 299C), and it's no contest. If the Scott is affordable (consider rebuild cost), it's a no-brainer. The HK is a great bang/buck piece, though.

----------------

On 6/30/2005 10:45:19 AM Colin wrote:

The Scott will best the H/K in every way except $$'s spent.

Every way? Bet the mid bass is a mite tighter with the vintage solid-state receiver.

10.gif
----------------

My H/K 430 has tighter bass than my mildly modified Dyna SCA-35 tube integrated. Never A/B'd it to a Scott integrated, which I'm sure is superior to the SCA-35, albeit more costly than what I've got invested in the Dyna.

----------------

On 6/30/2005 10:45:19 AM Colin wrote:

The Scott will best the H/K in every way except $$'s spent.

Every way? Bet the mid bass is a mite tighter with the vintage solid-state receiver.

10.gif
----------------

Properly rebuilt and with the right tweaks I bet not. If anything I would guess the low bass light be stiffer or more defined on the HK. The Scotts have stellar bass response from 100 Hz on up below that there slightly rolled or less defined but still the bass is very much there even down to 20hZ.

Craig

Greetings,

In the past I've owned both units -- unmodded -- powering kg4 speakers.

I found the Scott to be very sparkling and clear with a wonderful "toobey" glow to the upper harmonics and midrange. Dynamics and bass response, however, were on the soft side.

On the other hand, I found that the H/K 430 had more detail (without the sparkle) and more slam and tightness in the bass. However, through the kg4's I thought it wasn't overly dynamic either (although it's big brother, the H/K 730, was an absolute monster! 2.gif)

I thought each amp, in its own way, was darn good for the money!

Take care,

Scott

"Properly rebuilt and with the right tweaks I bet not. If anything I would guess the low bass light be stiffer or more defined on the HK. The Scotts have stellar bass response from 100 Hz on up below that there slightly rolled or less defined but still the bass is very much there even down to 20hZ.

Craig"

----------------------------------------

I have the HK430 and a NOSvalves 299D. While the HK430 is a very nice SS receiver, the detail, imaging, soundstage (you name it) is better with the 299D. I replaced the HK430 with the Scott as my main amp for my Cornwall system. Of course, a NOSValves rebuilt Scott is tighter and more dynamic than a stock Scott.

When you consider that a good working the HK can be found for under $100, and a fully rebuilt Scott may cost $600-800, the HK is a great value, especially considering it comes with a very nice tuner built in.

If you like your HK430, you will love a properly rebuilt Scott 299C or 299D.

-David-